No more real cabs for me

At least for me, the modeling changes in the Axe-FX III have improved on the cabinet feel/interaction. Much has been said about using far field IRs and other things to get that "in the room" feel. But based on the III, I think there's still some contributing factors from the amp modeling which the III brings to the table.
Yeah, I don't know what, if anything, changed significantly from Quantum to the III but I'm actually enjoying FRFR now. With the II and AX8 I pretty much only played through traditional cabs.

......and the increasing awareness and success (for me at least) of the LB-2 X-load paired with an Axe in 4cm with some good IR and your favorite tube amp has made real cabs even more obsolete.

The punch is great though. Definitely don't get that punch in the gut thing with monitors. Probably just due to the shear volume though.
Part of that is the reaction to transients . A gut-punching transient will drive a studio monitor into limiting, putting a brick wall in front of the punch. That happens to me at (relatively) modest average volumes. But a beefy power amp will dutifully try to squeeze out as much of that power as it can. Boom!

Back
Top Bottom