No more black ebony? New EVH Wolfgang Stealth not so stealthy...

CodePoet

Fractal Fanatic
I've had an EVH Wolfgang Special Stealth (i.e. all black) on order from Sweetwater for 9 months or so. Just got an email they shipped it. Got a nice email with detailed photos of it from Sweetwater. Looking good, then I noticed that the fretboard is overall lighter then their previous iterations and has light-brown variations throughout.

The fretboard of previous EVH Stealths, via their web site:
1623263916024.png

@bishop5150 's EVH Stealth:
1623263857637.png

The fretboard of the one shipping to me - not really black or uniform. Definitely different than every other Wolfgang Stealth photo I've seen:
1623263826407.png

Photos can differ due to exposure and color-balancing and I'll reserve judgement until I see it in person, but was wondering if this is the way ebony will be presented from here on? It's not a huge deal, other than for this specific model, the point of getting the "Stealth" configuration is that everything is uniformly black. :D Maybe these "not-so-ninja" models will become more desired, who knows? Or maybe just look at it as free relic-ing? It's just a cosmetic thing - again, not a big deal, just not as advertised.

The response from Sweetwater is below. Is this the case now - fully-black ebony is basically over in the guitar landscape? Anyone have any experience in darkening ebony?

So because of environmental concerns and the supply of ebony in Africa lots of manufacturers have stopped using fully black ebony. What you see is the natural color of the wood. Ebony normally has stripping and different colors of black/brown in it. In fact only about 1 of 100 trees has grain that's fully black.​
Most guitar brands have stopped trying to use fully black ebony because of all the waste it makes. Ebony has never naturally been black fully. You can try some fretboard treatment to try and even it out a bit but it will have variations in color regardless.​

Can’t see any of the photos, but this has been the case for a little while now. I think some manufacturers dye what they get so it looks more uniform. Some refer to it as “tiger stripe ebony” or something along those lines and leave it as it is with all its natural streaks.

My experience with the dyes/treatments is they tend to make your finger tips black every time you play. Eventually this goes away lol.

I agree... doesn't really do the whole "stealth" motif justice. If you don't like it when you see it in person return it. I bet the usa stealth is jet black.

Buyer beware - buying guitars out of the States is crap shoot you will receive it - almost didnt get my 2012 Prestige Ibanez from Japan a few months ago and had to pay Fedex imports fees also

Guitar broker had to intervene quite a bit to make the delivery a success

Biggest thing they are looking for is the woods used on a your guitar purchased outside the states - thank goodness found my keeper guitar - never buy outside states again

Buyer beware - buying guitars out of the States is crap shoot you will receive it - almost didnt get my 2012 Prestige Ibanez from Japan a few months ago and had to pay Fedex imports fees also

Guitar broker had to intervene quite a bit to make the delivery a success

Biggest thing they are looking for is the woods used on a your guitar purchased outside the states - thank goodness found my keeper guitar - never buy outside states again
That's good advice for sure. Got any pics? I absolutely love my 2010 10th anniversary prestige. Those 5 peice wizard prestige necks are great!

Can’t see any of the photos, but this has been the case for a little while now. I think some manufacturers dye what they get so it looks more uniform. Some refer to it as “tiger stripe ebony” or something along those lines and leave it as it is with all its natural streaks.

My experience with the dyes/treatments is they tend to make your finger tips black every time you play. Eventually this goes away lol.
Interesting - I've seen that with other ebony fretboards (that are uniformly black). Didn't realize I was getting dye on my fingers from their attempt to make it look uniform. So maybe the question is why did they stop dye-ing the fretboards?

Interesting - I've seen that with other ebony fretboards (that are uniformly black). Didn't realize I was getting dye on my fingers from their attempt to make it look uniform. So maybe the question is why did they stop dye-ing the fretboards?
Can only speculate, but I mean, that seems to be an area where they could cut costs. Especially as more and more high end builders start incorporating the streaked boards onto their higher end models. The perception that it’s the ”cheap” will slowly shift. I‘ve also noticed some builders have started offering “jet black ebony” at a notable upcharge.

Whammy bar not on it in this photo but here you go :) have fun with yours

Ibanez SV5470 - good luck trying to find one of these especially in black - easy guitar to string run them thru the back - auto lock - string cutting tuners bam done - luv it

I owned many quality guitars including Alex Lifeson Les Paul - this is Ibanez is by far the best guitar I ever owned - playability is amazing

Last edited:
I have another WG Special in Ivory from 2018 and it's got a (seemingly dyed) uniform fretboard. I asked the guy at Sweetwater if they were all like this or if it is a one-off...

Their photos tend to be over exposed. It will likely be much more subtle in person, unless you blast it with a flashlight or something. Think it’s a good idea to wait till it gets to you and see how you feel about it once it’s in your possession.

Their photos tend to be over exposed. It will likely be much more subtle in person, unless you blast it with a flashlight or something. Think it’s a good idea to wait till it gets to you and see how you feel about it once it’s in your possession.
Yep, I mentioned that in my post - reserving judgement until I see it. There could be other issues too. :). I was kinda wondering how these new pandemic ones would be in comparison to the ones that came before.

Plenty of YT videos on how to darken fretboard but again be nice to receive it that way and it appears its not - its quite obvious in your photos

Whammy bar not on it in this photo but here you go :) have fun with yours

Ibanez SV5470 - good luck trying to find one of these especially in black - easy guitar to string run them thru the back - auto lock - string cutting tuners bam done - luv it

I owned many quality guitars including Alex Lifeson Les Paul - this is Ibanez is by far the best guitar I ever owned - playability is amazing

Great looking guitar. I've never played one with a SynchroniZR tremolo. Thanks for the pic

Your welcome - I had two other S Series Ibanez guitars - found out I was not a fan with locking strings with allen wrench in bridge - this is so much better

I only bought it for ease of string changing didnt realize how much better this guitar was in all aspects than the other two S Series guitars I owned and how rare they are - got lucky grabbing this from Japan

Bunch on ebay - but not really for sale - most are sold but they dont pull the add

That said I wouldnt try buying again - importing into States is getting really hard - exotic woods being the major factor

Last edited:

Yep, I've had that too. For a long time, my Yamaha dreadnought left me with a black spot from where my picking hand touched the bridge. It still does it sometimes, but it's much better than when the guitar was new.

Back
Top Bottom