no love for the Celestion G12-65???

Chiguete

Experienced
So how come there are only 2 IRs on the units for the Celestion G12-65??? There is only:

029 2x12 G12-65 FAR-FIELD (JM) — Far-field IR of a Celestion G12-65.
020 2x12 DOUBLE AMP KSM313 — Keith Urban's '59 high-power Fender Twin cabinet with two Two-Rock TR-1265 speakers (similar to G12-65), UltraRes, captured using the Mic+DI method and Universal Noise Storage 3 Cab Pack). Before firmware 19: 2x12 Brit.

Is there no love for these speakers???

Thats exactly what I was thinking on doing just now jeje. I saw sometime ago that they had that site to buy IRs directly from them but I totally forgot since I didn't have the Fractal at that time.

I got the Celestion IR of the 65 and I have to say that I LOVE IT!!! it has all the punch I was looking for. Really happy with it! Everyone should test it and Fractal should include several IRs of them in their catalog... heck get Celestions IRs in the units from factory!!!!!!!

Raises Hand!

I love them, they are exactly the tones I was looking for. I gigged a '78 Marshall JMP 2203 100 watt Lead into a 81 JCM800 Lead series 412 loaded with four 8 Ohm G12-65's for 20 years.

I used it many configurations, but mostly rant it pristine clean and fat, feeding the high input with an ADA MP-2 midi tube pre-amp.

My final rig was paired it with a JVM210H and G-Major II. I sold it all a year after getting the Axe Fx II.
005_3.jpg

P1000042.jpg

P1000043.jpg
The Celestion IR's are accurate, that's all I'm saying. I know the competition isn't thrilled with these offerings, but I found them to be spectacular.

I bought the 412 closed back cab packs of the V30, G12m-Greenback and G12-65.

I too agree they are accurate. I owned an A/B stack of these running a JMP. They sound the same to me as I remember. I don't have the Marshall setup any more to compare. I have also bought more of the Celestion IR offerings. I think they are easy to work with, have less of them which cuts down on what to pick. And, what's there is usable. I hope they continue to offer more or even reach into the archives and do some vintage originals.

Roger

There are several IRs of Bludotone (Dumble-ish) 2x12 oval back cab with the G12-65H speakers in "Buddy's Boutique" cab pack...and there is one new factory cab for a 4X12 with G12-65Hs in the latest firmware for Ax8 and XL units towards the end (Factory cabs for Mark II units stop at Factory cab 132 I think, so not in there).

The G12-65 is really a higher wattage Greenback essentially... the great thing is, with Fractal amp models, you can pair a 20 watt greenback with a cranked amp and never blow it!
;)

Never ever use that speaker, nor V30's the latter IMHO are ear-killers...
Nevertheless with 5150 and similar amps they come through very nicely.
Personally almost only greenbacks H & M versions, hence alnico blue or silver IR's. Guess it is all style related, tastes differ & the world is beautiful.

The Celestion IR's intrigue me but I think the thing I dont like is that they use a "neutral" cab. I think the cab itself is a large part of the sound along with the speaker. I know they have the backline series but there's not anything in there for my primary needs.

They’re really cool speakers - describing them as a mix between V30’s and Greenbacks is such a cliche but IMO it holds true. They’re a little firmer sounding than Greenbacks (more like a V30 in that regard) but the voicing is closer to a Greenback.

Last edited:
The Celestion IR's intrigue me but I think the thing I dont like is that they use a "neutral" cab. I think the cab itself is a large part of the sound along with the speaker. I know they have the backline series but there's not anything in there for my primary needs.

I was reluctant to post these before my vendor status was approved, but they may be to your taste. 4 G12-65 speakers - the most sought after T3120 1777 lead cone Marshall label variants. 2 are in a Marshall 2045 cabinet, and 2 are from a rare JMP 2144 combo. The 2144 combo is open back with a straight baffle and gives a slightly thicker tone. The clean versions play nicely with Fractal's impedance curve feature for a really accurate response.

Its worth remembering there were a LOT of variations of G12-65's during its short cycle. The bass cone version are generally less popular, but there are also ones with silver/aluminium domes, PA versions etc.

https://mirrorprofiles.myshopify.com/products/2045-g12-65-cabinet-pack

https://mirrorprofiles.myshopify.com/products/2144-g12-65-cabinet-ir-pack

Back
Top Bottom