No Global Blocks ?

I will really dig into this deeper how to find a way of dealing with this in LIVE situations....so probably will wait till I get the AX8...try it out to see how fast I can go through preset editing in live situations.....

It's fast. You have soft knobs. 5 abcde editing knobs.

I can film a video if you need.

For the record I have NEVER had an issue live about being able to modify or adjust presets, even bending down mid song to bump up anything in the amp
Block AND save mid song is something that is easily accomplished. I play live 4-5 nights a week.

With the amp control knobs available, bass - mid - treble - gain - master - presence - depth - level, it takes an whole 1/2 second to make quick amp adjustments and save them. it's faster than delving into menus on the axe fx.

thanks guys , looking forward working with it :D

and if global blocks came later in the Axe , than hopefully at this point there are no technical issues for it to come back to the little brother AX8 :):):):).

as said before : if there are technical issues, than game over....we will learn to deal with it.....in the early days we did not have these trouble when playing with real amps / head / preamps....once the level balance is set between clea/ crunch / leads , it stays consistent through all the patches...

I use only 1 clean JTM45 and 1 rhythm / lead Amp. the lead amp depend really on the updates and new acquired IRs and stuff....so often changes....and then I still consider myself lucky because I use live mainly 1 preset for fast songs & 1 preset for Ballads with more delays / verbs and stuff....BUT do have 10 presets to play around with some other fx and stuff...still using the same 2 amps.

will check the other topics of people using it already regarding set , live experiences and stuff...
Many thanks to all !

Without global blocks, the whole "one song - one preset" strategy is really difficult to maintain.

We have 50-100 songs in our repertoire. I plan to base 90% of my presets on ONE amp block and ONE cab block. It will not be a deal breaker to me, but I will be annoyed by this every time I use Ax8.

I would most likely revert to using one preset for everything and then just tap dance like crazy on the IA buttons.

I'm really not trying to be pedantic here, and I would really love to see global blocks added, but the thing is that the AX8 is not the Axe-Fx II.

At half the price (or far less when you add the MFC-101) it doesn't bring the same features as the Axe-Fx II and can't be expected to do so.

Even a few weeks after its introduction users (TBH: including myself) are already asking for more blocks, more this, more that. While it's already a fantastic device to start with.

I know nothing about the firmware or programming, but global blocks are not easy to implement.
I recall critical errors and bugs at the time they were added to the Axe-Fx.
I still *shiver* when I think back of those days of data loss and unrecoverable backups . :)

Granted i have not fully read the manual yet.

The wiki page could be most usefull for people that dont want to read the manual but want to know exactly what is missing besides the FXs, but maybe i have missed it or it has not been created a full comparison chart between the AX8, the FX8 and the AXe detailing everything they share and dont.

I'm really not trying to be pedantic here, and I would love to see global blocks added, but the thing is that the AX8 is not the Axe-Fx II.

At half the price (or far less when you add the MFC-101) it doesn't bring the same features as the Axe-Fx II and can't be expected to do so.

Even a few weeks after its introduction users (TBH including myself) are already asking for more blocks, more this, more that. While it's already a fantastic device to start with.

I know nothing about the firmware or programming, but global blocks are not easy to implement.
I still shiver when I think back to those days of data loss and unrecoverable backups . :)
agreed, and there are things i'd love to see added to the AX8 of course.

but from day 1 (really day -200 or so!) many have been trying to make it an Axe-Fx II. :) it isn't an Axe-Fx II. i know that the wizards at Fractal will continue to update it and add features that we will all benefit from. so these lists and requests are inevitable.

personally, i've been approaching things with "how CAN i do this" instead of "i wish i could do this" and it really helps. again, it's not an Axe-Fx II and my wishes are usually in line with "i wish this was an Axe-Fx II" :)

The problem is that for somebody like me who does not understand anything about the inner workings and programming of Ax8/FX, it just seems like such an easy thing to include. And the whole idea of the global block fits perfectly with the idea of the Ax8.

I have no problem with the other limitations. I can easily live with one amp/cab block and less of the other blocks, the lesser processing power. I understand all of these omissions, and I will be happy to live with them :) I would love it, if I could buy a program or VST plugin, so I could do tonematches at my computer and import to Ax8. I know, I can do it with Ozone, but that's a huge package just to get the match EQ

I do not think that (I am an engineer who builds hardware and programs firmware, but not in the Axe direction). I just don't really see a hardware limitation here :)

Granted i have not fully read the manual yet.

The wiki page could be most usefull for people that dont want to read the manual but want to know exactly what is missing besides the FXs, but maybe i have missed it or it has not been created a full comparison chart between the AX8, the FX8 and the AXe detailing everything they share and dont.

Yes, a comparison chart would be nice. No doubt it will be created at some time.

I'm really not trying to be pedantic here, and I would really love to see global blocks added, but the thing is that the AX8 is not the Axe-Fx II.

Even a few weeks after its introduction users (TBH: including myself) are already asking for more blocks, more this, more that. While it's already a fantastic device to start with.

I still *shiver* when I think back of those days of data loss and unrecoverable backups . :)

I remember Cliff stating it (AX8) was to get Axe modeling into the hands of people that previously didn't have an opportunity, but us Axe users want everything in the floor version :).

I'm very happy with the AX8 and think FAS done a great job! It fills a empty spot in the FAS family, and even though we keep asking for more, this unit is exactly what most everyone has been wanting for a long time.

I don't want, or expect, "everything" in the AX8. But I did post some items in the wish list thread that I thought were entirely appropriate within the scope of the AX8.

I agree with NeoSound. The AX8 is a very cool unit that sounds great. I'm learning to work within it's parameters and there's no way I would go back to the AxeII/Rack/midi controller setup over this despite the reduced feature set. There's also no way I would cancel my order over the lack of global blocks. I'd definitely advise the OP to go through with the purchase and work with the unit before deciding whether the lack of global blocks is a show stopper.

Here's a possible solution: add an FX8. Use the AX8 as your GLOBAL AMP.
The two units work amazingly well together in 4CM. The total cost will be less than an Axe-Fx and MFC.
This post def made me think for the first time that the Ax8 can't handle global blocks due to hardware limitation not that it is missing just cause Cliff doesn't want us to have it. I for one had a reached a point in my ii set up where every blk in my preset is a global block I used it almost exclusively in a live setting. It is what it is I guess

I don't want, or expect, "everything" in the AX8. But I did post some items in the wish list thread that I thought were entirely appropriate within the scope of the AX8.

I agree with NeoSound. The AX8 is a very cool unit that sounds great. I'm learning to work within it's parameters and there's no way I would go back to the AxeII/Rack/midi controller setup over this despite the reduced feature set. There's also no way I would cancel my order over the lack of global blocks. I'd definitely advise the OP to go through with the purchase and work with the unit before deciding whether the lack of global blocks is a show stopper.

yes yes, i did think about it after the options people mentioned here....thanks and will try out first ...and re-edit my topic ;)
Here's a possible solution: add an FX8. Use the AX8 as your GLOBAL AMP.
The two units work amazingly well together in 4CM. The total cost will be less than an Axe-Fx and MFC.

the reason I am buying the AX8 because I want to go smaller , o_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

already have been a very happy user of the Axe for years....so buying FX8 as extra option is a no go ....

The problem is that for somebody like me who does not understand anything about the inner workings and programming of Ax8/FX, it just seems like such an easy thing to include. And the whole idea of the global block fits perfectly with the idea of the Ax8.

I have no problem with the other limitations. I can easily live with one amp/cab block and less of the other blocks, the lesser processing power. I understand all of these omissions, and I will be happy to live with them :) I would love it, if I could buy a program or VST plugin, so I could do tonematches at my computer and import to Ax8. I know, I can do it with Ozone, but that's a huge package just to get the match EQ

I could think of five ways to make AX-8 editor behave like it makes global edits while they are separate blocks on the unit (it's more of defining the UI for the user.) But then again I don't work with that SW codebase so I could be wrong especially if the internal object model format does not support such things.

Back
Top Bottom