No fluency in Whammy?

Bodde

Fractal Fanatic
I have noticed that when using a Whammy effect (Pitch Block) I hear all the steps if I move the pedal slowly instead of a fluent constant motion. Also when moving the pedal fast you can hear it's not fluent.
I didn't have that problem before. It might have happens since any of the FW updates (?) Did something change in the modifier section or in the globals? I didn't change anything in my presets or global menu. I am still on FW19.0

I have set the modifiers in default state. I have tried both the Whammy algo as well as the fixed harm algo.
I have the same problem with all my three expression pedals. I have set damping to 10 ms. Setting it to 0 ms didn't help either.

Any ideas what this can be?

Sounded like that before. But does't sound like that now. I clearly hear the steps. What can it be?

I have noticed that when using a Whammy effect (Pitch Block) I hear all the steps if I move the pedal slowly instead of a fluent constant motion. Also when moving the pedal fast you can hear it's not fluent.
I didn't have that problem before. It might have happens since any of the FW updates (?) Did something change in the modifier section or in the globals? I didn't change anything in my presets or global menu. I am still on FW19.0

I have set the modifiers in default state. I have tried both the Whammy algo as well as the fixed harm algo.
I have the same problem with all my three expression pedals. I have set damping to 10 ms. Setting it to 0 ms didn't help either.

Any ideas what this can be?
Maybe high level of DSP usage...

Yes, that's possible, if Pitch Source is set to Global. Try Local instead when CPU% is high.

Pitch detection has a lower priority than audio processing. If CPU usage is very high the pitch detectors won't run often and you'll get that kind of thing.

Pitch detection has a lower priority than audio processing. If CPU usage is very high the pitch detectors won't run often and you'll get that kind of thing.

CPU was only 80%. I had to reduce the CPU to 60% and it did improve a little but still you hear a certain shake in the tone. Not as fluent as I remember it to be. Also changing from global to local doesn't make any difference. Same things happens in all presets. Strange thing is that it was not like this before and I didn't make any changes to the presets or expression pedals. Maybe something changed before FW19? maybe something in the globals?

Edit: I notice it is more fluent on my Boss EV-5 pedals than on my Boss FV-500. Calibration is ok I guess otherwise it wouldn't give me the octave (?). Any idea what I can do?
Still I have to reduce to below 60% CPU to get more satisfying results (also with the EV5's). What is normally an average CPU in that the Whammy still behaves optimal?

Last edited:
CPU was only 80%. I have reduced the CPU to 60% and it didn't improve. Also changing from global to local doesn't make any difference. same things happens in all presets. Strange thing is that it was not like this before and I didn't make any changes to the presets or expression pedals. Maybe something changed before FW19? maybe something in the globals?

Doesn't do that here.

Was still editing my post while testing and playing so I have changed some things in the post. Sorry for that.

Just tried that. There is a slight improvement with Axe Edit on pause but still not what I want it to be. Problem is that I always use Axe Edit for gigs. I play a lot in improvised settings and I use Axe Edit to adjust things on the fly and tweak effects real time etc. Not very practical to put it on pause each time.

Can someone explain the difference in fluency between the two expression pedals that I am experiencing? This means that I will have the same problem with a wah of volume swell sound for example. Can it be a setting in the MFC? It didn't do that before.

You can't use Axe-Edit and a MIDI controller at the same time without experiencing increased latencies in MIDI responses. This is a well documented limitation of Axe-Edit.

The difference between your two expression pedals is the taper of the potentiometers and the range of the sweep. A 50k Ohm linear sweep potentiometer is ideal for use with the MFC. Though it works with a range of sweeps and tapers.

The difference between your two expression pedals is the taper of the potentiometers and the range of the sweep. A 50k Ohm linear sweep potentiometer is ideal for use with the MFC. Though it works with a range of sweeps and tapers.

Can anyone tell what the exact taper and sweep range is of both the EV-5 and FV-500? do they differ that much that hear you such a big difference like I do? The FV-500 sounds less fluent.

ok, found it myself on another forum. Both the EV-5 and the FV-500 have a 10k linear taper. So that still leaves my question unanswered. Why do they sound different when it comes to fluency? Can someone here with a FV-500 check for me how this behaves with the Whammy? Maybe something is wrong with my FV-500 and I have to replace it. But I have to know for sure.

Back
Top Bottom