No flat response on outputs?

merlin17

Power User
Hi!

I did a few checks, because I wanted to know whether my Ultra has level differences on the outputs like the units of others.
It does not, good!

But: If I send pink noise through the Axe (bypassed, rear input) the signal from the outputs (both 1 and 2) clearly show a hi-boost - like a 6db hi-shelf starting somewhere around 3kHz and a 6db mid scoop at around 500Hz.
Is this a viable test? If not, why? If yes, why is the response not flat?

Signal is sent from my ProTools 192I/O into Ultra's rear input, outputs of Ultra into inputs of the 192I/O.

Peter

That definitely looks much flatter (ok, my PAZ zoom settings are much more zoomed in).
What's the cause?

Question: If I set the input to analog rear is the "secret sauce" then applied to it?
I haven't measured again, but if I do so there are a lot more highs coming through, if it's set to analog front (but still using the rear input) it sounds flatter... If I measure the "secret sauce" should not be used, so...

merlin17 said:
Question: If I set the input to analog rear is the "secret sauce" then applied to it?
I haven't measured again, but if I do so there are a lot more highs coming through, if it's set to analog front (but still using the rear input) it sounds flatter... If I measure the "secret sauce" should not be used, so...

Again the secret sauce (I am really beginning to hate that term) is ANALOG and applied to the front left only. The Axe-fx compensates for this processing in the digital realm. When you have the input set to front, the compensation is being applied to both the front and rear left. When it is set to rear there is no compensation applied. If you set the input to front and plug into the rear left, you will notice a strong drop in the high frequencies.

Did some more tests.

I DO get a flat response when I use the FX return on the Axe and when using the front input (and setting the input to analog front), but in no case when using input 1 on the back...
So what's up with the rear input 1s?

You probably have the noisegate on. If you test the rear inputs with the noisegate on you'll get erratic results.

Ok, I'll check again, but I'm pretty sure I was not using the noise gate (I have it deactivated in all of my patches and use the noise gate block instead).

Well, if it's off then there is something wrong with your testing methodology or the unit itself. But either way it's not a bug and you shouldn't keep bringing it up. Either fix your methodology or contact your dealer and arrange a repair.

Back
Top Bottom