• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

No Bluetooth audio... missed opportunity?

FreeMind

Forum Addict
Well, putting in a proper wireless would highten could have been problematic, and it's not necessary at all.
This ain't no Axe FX 2, The front panel is fine. Use that.
Or connect a phone via USB.
Or get one of those tiny Bluetoon midi interfaces, and use that.

Retro Rick

Inspired
I think Bluetooth is up and coming, it isn't really in use that much in the musical instrument industry yet. I currently use a Bluetooth footswitch to turn pages of sheet music on my tablet, that's one way blue tooth is useful, at least to me. It can also similarly be used to play backing tracks over a Bluetooth PA speaker, which could be useful I guess. The Boss GT1000 is blue tooth, it allows you to edit presets with your tablet, again, useful? maybe... The one thing it does that would be useful, is you can set up all your gear at a venue and record a loop and then walk around the venue and trigger the loop with your tablet, so you can hear your gear being played from a distance through front of house PAs. Is any of this stuff important? not really, but I think eventually blue tooth will play a bigger role on multi effects units, one day...

Retro Rick

Inspired
The OP wasn't asking for bluetooth editing, he was asking for bluetooth audio...which has far too much latency to be used for live playing.
Thank you Officer for pointing out my conversation infraction, I swerved out of the topic lane, could you let me off with a warning this time?

ibanezfreak4

Forum Addict
to be able to hook up my FM3 wirelessly.
Something additional to maintain fully integrated on the FM3 probably wasn't top of mind for FAS' modular design. As others have mentioned that there is a lack of confidence in BT tech specifically, but other wireless tech as well actually. Just recently I started having more drop outs on my Line 6 G70 in a new church facility.

Imagine the outrage is FAS provided a means to connect wireless and god forbid it doesn't work everywhere all the time every time in the entire world. Weeping and gnashing of teeth would hardly describe the pain caused by FAS from the keyboard warriors of today. The earth's water supply may perhaps vanish the second that a BT problem occurs on the FM3... ;)

With that said, it's a nice to have but choose what fits you!

Limited research, but curious if anyone is using XVive tech? Intriguing:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/U2Carbon--xvive-audio-u2-digital-wireless-guitar-system-carbon

Hhuent

Veteran
Normal Bluetooth comes at a 150 ms delay. Even if they would use the aptx low latency standard that is used for some headphones/earbuds now (lip audio synchronisation) it would be still way to much latency, 40 ms as already mentioned, no way around that. Normal 2,4 GHz transmitters would be the way to go.

lqdsnddist

Axe-Master
The missed opportunity is Bluetooth midi...
There are a lot of 3rd party Bluetooth midi devices already in the market so for those folks who want/need it can obtain it.

The FM3 was built to hit a certain price point and making it more expensive, by adding a feature most people don’t use, wouldn’t make much sense in my opinion.

I personally wouldn’t want to pay extra for it, as I don’t want/need it, so I’m glad it comes without it.

AlGrenadine

Axe-Master
There are a lot of 3rd party Bluetooth midi devices already in the market so for those folks who want/need it can obtain it.

The FM3 was built to hit a certain price point and making it more expensive, by adding a feature most people don’t use, wouldn’t make much sense in my opinion.

I personally wouldn’t want to pay extra for it, as I don’t want/need it, so I’m glad it comes without it.
When embedded in the product development i guess it wouldn't cost much....
Anyway, maybe in next gen

LiamBlack

New here
Everyone is talking about the delay, and in part this is true, but not completely. If there is no interference in the room where you study and the system is good, then it will not be significant. In any case, you will not know anything in advance, for this you need to try it yourself.

peteri

Inspired
Even if you discount latency, BT is too unreliable for audio because of drop outs.

As someone who uses BT headphones all the time, depending on brand - sometimes they can drop out with a range of only a few feet.

Plus Fractal would be opening up a massive number of support issues, remember they're not a massive company.

I think it would be cool to have BT editing, but really - one USB cable isn't bad, I agree - if it worked it would be very cool and I'd love it on my III, but I wouldn't say it's a missed opportunity

ChristThePhone

Fractal Fanatic
I think it would be cool to have BT editing, but really - one USB cable isn't bad, I agree - if it worked it would be very cool and I'd love it on my III, but I wouldn't say it's a missed opportunity
With the new UI one could argue there's no need to support a smartphone editor via bluetooth as it would be redundant. IIRC Cliff once mentioned a bluettooth interface would require licensing the corresponding software stack adding to the overall cost aside from the headache programming and support would cause. Also, if it was meant to be used for a editing then it would mean FAS would have to provide the corresponding editor for mobile devices as well which could be another can of worms.

TubeByter

New here
Just an FYI Bluetooth audio latency is no longer an issue. I've been using the Xvive Bluetooth onstage for a year and latency is not a factor. And I'm very fussy about latency. It has to be under 6ms or I won't use it.
However, the downside to Bluetooth is the unpredictable environment... sharing wireless spectrum with every WiFi router, cellphone Bluetooth, Microwave oven, Sonos speaker, etc, etc, etc, in the area means it MAY work great or it MAY work very poorly connection-wise (dropouts, etc). I've been fortunate, in the last year I've only had 1 gig where I had to switch back to cabled. The Xvive's are a pretty amazing little device.
Regarding Fractal--- IMO Bluetooth implementation would be unnecessary, with the Xvive's and other inexpensive and very usable Bluetooth options out there.
Also should add that 6ms is same delay as it takes for the audio to travel from your guitar speaker or monitor to your ear when the speaker and your ear are approximately 6 feet apart... in other words neglible

Last edited:
Top Bottom