No Audio Using Axe-Fx III with USB into a Mac with Scarlett 8i6

bread

Power User
Hello,

I wonder if anyone could help me with this issue I'm having.

I have my Axe FX III connected via USB to my Mac which runs Axe Edit no problem at all. I want to use the Axe Fx audio over the USB into my Scarlett so I can hear it through my monitors but, although I can see the meters move when I play my guitar when I look at the input sound preferences setting on my Mac, I do not hear anything out of my monitors.

I can hear audio from my iTunes library no problem at all - my Mac is connected to the Scarlett via a USB interface and I can use the volume control on the front to control the volume level

So, although I can hear my music, I cannot hear the guitar.

I have my Mac set to Output Device = Scarlett 8i6 and Input Device = Axe FX III

Any ideas please ?

Thanks
"Bread"

The Axe USB signal doesn’t go into the Scarlett. USB audio doesn’t work that way. I’d just plug analog into the Scarlett.

The Axe USB signal doesn’t go into the Scarlett. USB audio doesn’t work that way. I’d just plug analog into the Scarlett.

The USB audio from the AXE FX is going into the Mac not the Scarlett, but I'll take your advise and run SPD/IF into the Scarlett as it looks a lot easier

Thanks for your help :)

Create an aggregate audio device between the Scarlet and the Axe III and then select that as your audio device in your DAW software. You can then share inputs and output between them, i.e. input from Axe III and output to the Scarlet.

This kind of question has been asked a million times on the forum. It's understandable that it gets asked because the answer isn't obvious. That indicates it should be documented somewhere how to set up an AxeFX for recording. If not in the manual, then in a supplemental manual. If not there, then in an FAQ on the FAS support page. Hoping people figure it out for themselves isn't working very well.

This kind of question has been asked a million times on the forum. It's understandable that it gets asked because the answer isn't obvious. That indicates it should be documented somewhere how to set up an AxeFX for recording. If not in the manual, then in a supplemental manual. If not there, then in an FAQ on the FAS support page. Hoping people figure it out for themselves isn't working very well.
what would the manual say to prevent this question from coming up?

I was thinking it would consist of the answers that have been frequently provided on this forum. Here's an idea for an outline:

How to Connect your AxeFX to your computer for recording.

1. Connect your AxeFX to your computer.

This section would discuss how to record your AxeFX by connecting via USB.

Next would be the topic of monitoring your AxeFX and computer playback via a variety of means, discussing the pros and cons of each. This seems to be the issue that trips people up the most.

1.a. Connect your studio monitors to your AxeFX
1.b. Connect your studio monitors to your computer audio out
1.c. Connect your studio monitors to both your computer audio out and your AxeFX, and use a small mixer to control them.
1.d. Connect your studio monitors to both an audio interface and your AxeFX. Discuss aggregate devices.

2. Connect your AxeFX to an audio interface.

This would cover the more advanced technique of connecting your AxeFX to your computer via an audio interface. Discuss the use cases where this is preferable to directly connecting your AxeFX to your computer. Discuss the various audio connection methods.

3. Reamping.

Discuss recording DI signals, including 2 channel vs 3 channel recordings, and how to reamp in the various scenarios above.

Back
Top Bottom