NMD

EJ James (Street)

Experienced
Since no one seemed to like my NGD post (I guess there aren't many Epi LP fans here.../shrug)...

New Motorcycle Day!

Over the weekend wife decided she wanted a bike of her own, again. Back in '05 she wanted one, so she took the riders safety course, then we bought her a Honda Shadow Aero 750. That bike ended up being too big as a first bike and it intimidated her to the point she gave up riding all together. We sold it a year later with less than 500 miles on it. Lesson learned.

In 2010 I surprised her with a pink 150cc Vespa styled scooter. While smaller than the Aero it had a very high center of gravity, and combined with the foot position which made it less stable than a motorcycle, it spooked her for different reasons.

This past weekend while waiting on some friends to meet us at a local Harley dealership she got a gleam in her eye when she happened across a couple of Sportsters. She sat on a few and found a couple she liked. However, having ridden bikes for 35+ years now, there's no way I'm gonna put an inexperienced rider on a torquey bike that's as unforgiving as a Sportster is. I explained the bike she was sitting on was actually more powerful than the bike she had in 2005. When she realized that she asked about the bike she rode in the safety course, a Honda Rebel CMX250. She said that bike was small and light enough that it didn't intimidate her, so we got her one.

In 2005 her learning to ride was more about me and my desires to have her along on rides with friends. Realizing that, the decision to get the 750 was based on the wrong reasons. This time it's 100% about her, and what she wants or needs to feel comfortable. I'm just stoked that she wanted to give it another try. The neighborhood we moved to in 2012 is a much more quiet place with a LOT less traffic than where we lived in 2005. Not to mention we're ~5 minutes from real "country roads", where previously it was a 30+ minute ride to get away from high traffic congestion. She actually seems more excited about this bike and riding again than she was in '05, probably due to the 'no pressure' approach I'm taking this time. Again, it's all about her this time around. I'm here to support and encourage her in whatever way she needs.

If she ever feels the need to upgrade we'll look into it. If not she'll still have this bike. If she loses interest all together again, well...my sister has been wanting to learn how to ride, so we've got the perfect learner bike in the family now. Her fiance recently bought an '06 Road King Police Model, and she eventually wants a biker of her own. This little bike won't go to waste, either way.

Last edited:
What am I, moldy cheese? I commented on your NGD dude!

And smooth pickup. Definitely the right way to go about such things.

No, you're Rotti[ng] cheese. :lol

<jk> =)

It just reaffirmed what I suspected already. Takes a lot more than an Epi to impress peeps around these parts.

/shrug

Nice grab. After I retire and my wife and I hopefully move away from here, I'd like to learn to ride. It's just way to congested with bad drivers around here to justify it for me at this time. That doesn't stop me from window shopping every chance I get haha

I've been getting an itch for a bike. My wife told practically told me to f@$& myself but in a much nicer way.

This is wine and cheese country. You see how spoiled people are with their Axe-FXs and their MFCs and Petrucci EBMMs and Suhrs. This is the Hamptons of guitar.
I see that! I could have those guitars, but then I likely wouldn't have my SRT8, my Harley, or my other 8 guitars (and all the toys in my studio, including my AxeFX). I fund and engage in multiple hobbies, not just music.

It's a trade off I gladly make. :)

Besides, as purely a hobbyist I'm not an accomplished enough player to justify the cost of those "holy grail" guitars. I'll stick with my Schecters and Epi's and be just fine. =)

I sold my CBR600F4i to fund my Carvin DC800, so I know right where you're at. Choices. 1st world problems.

I could have bought a couple Suhrs , EBMM's, fancy FRFR speakers and a MFC with all the money I've thrown at my other passion - Drag Racing.
<--- goin fast is alot of fun but sure sucks up the $$.
IMO there are plenty of fine " budget" guitars . Epiphones , Carvin , PRS SE , Schecters ETC.

Especially for a newer rider (or relearning), please make her wear something heavier like jeans. My wife learned to ride a few years ago and had some balance issues on her rebel and dropped it once, ending up with her luckily still mostly standing. Also had the exhaust hit her legs on the way down which luckily didn't burn her (jeans that day). I've also had the pipe drag across my calf while wearing shorts after a ride one day and burnt the hell out of my leg - I was paying close attention that day. In addition to that I've had 2 friends who were newer riders end up on the ground with big rips in their jeans during slow speed falls while they were learning in scenarios a lot like that one.

No offense meant or anything, I'm sure you know what you are doing, I just always cringe when I see the videos of people learning to ride in shorts or sweats.

Yeh, no offense taken. She was still a bit reluctant/hesitant to get on (even though this was her idea), so I didn't want to make it a big deal. It initially started out as just pushing the bike forward, breaking, then rolling backwards a bit just to get the feel of the bikes weight and how it rolls. Didn't intend on even firing it up. Next think I know she's turning it over, putting it in gear, and rolling up the drive way into the alley, then took off down the alley on her own. Didn't want to stop progress. =)

We'll definitely make sure she's outfitted correctly. Something I always say..."when riding a motorcycle, no matter what season, dress for the fall...not the ride".

She's overcoming her fear of riding. I'm so proud of her. =)

Baby steps....

I'm glad she is conquering her fears but safety first! Proper riding apparel is the most important thing IMO when riding any motorcycle... leathers, Jacket, Boots, Gloves but the most important thing of all... a Helmet, for her sake you have to protect the noodle man! I have seen and known many people that have suffered head injuries or that have died because they didn't want to put it on.

Back
Top Bottom