Nifty Trick using Scenes to document preset.

H3O2

Experienced
Having the MKII gives me more presets than I'll ever need since I rarely use scenes anyway. Using the description field entry for the scene to document little things, like date or what guitar or guitar setting, or whatever at a glance. So you get 248 characters over 8(31/per) scenes. Only shows on the front panel but is easy to see quick notes.

Having the MKII gives me more presets than I'll ever need since I rarely use scenes anyway. Using the description field entry for the scene to document little things, like date or what guitar or guitar setting, or whatever at a glance. So you get 248 characters over 8(31/per) scenes. Only shows on the front panel but is easy to see quick notes.

So you've sacrificed scenes to be able to add descriptions. Seems draconian, but a clever workaround for a seemingly simple feature that's been requested over and over. I like it. Thanks for sharing.

Note: you should be able to view all of the text in Edit too. Just click where there is no block or connection.

Right now I use a seperate spreadsheet to document preset development and revisions. This is a major PIA, though. Keep wishing for a text block in preset...

Seems like a really pointless addition at first but I remember when they added a notepad function to Cubase and for me, it just made tracking changes and amp settings, lyrics etc so much easier.

Small change with a massive impact.

Out of interest, what would you feel is the better way to do this.

Would it be:

A notepad Block - maybe hard to cross reference settings jumping from Block to Block

A notes field per Block or a tab on the side or bottom of the FX Edit software seems the most appropriate. Would there be enough memory for notes to be stored on the Axe FX rather than on the local computer (one computer crash and all those notes are gone)

I document basic info and do use the notes extension in Reaper which I suppose is similar Cubase. It does inspire me when I listen back and see what rig or setup I used on a track or take.

I'm not sure how it could be implemented with the unit itself other than scenes/scene manager. Using a spreadsheet for me was one extra PAI step I just couldn't keep up with as an on-the-fly doc method. Some don't care and just use their ears, I use my ears AND like to use my eyes, too. Especially when I'm chasing the, "Man, what did I use on that?!" moment lol. Kind of handy as the Axe display often ends up back on home so at a glance it's a good recall. A 'nice to have' feature if possible.

I agree.

I found the notepad in Cubase handy per track to record the method behind an idea, which guitar and pickup selector I used, sometimes chord information, preset used etc.

It was great for tracking lyric versions on the larger notepad without having to flip between software and for when recording vocals.

It’s not a show stopper for the Axe but just a nice thing to have.
L

Right now I use a seperate spreadsheet to document preset development and revisions. This is a major PIA, though. Keep wishing for a text block in preset...
Do you have a .xls file for the spreadsheet you are using? Or a picture you could display ? Thanks

Do you have a .xls file for the spreadsheet you are using? Or a picture you could display ? Thanks
It's one tab in a fairly large "database" that I use to track my song/mix library as well. The presetsheet is fairly straightforward, though, and it might be easier for you if I just to walk/talk thru it. I track the following in column format:

• Name of Preset
  • Description
  • Scene Notes
  • Date created
  • Revision #
  • Revision date
  • Template used (I start all presets from one of my personal templates so that the structure is always the same)
  • Sources used (i.e. any downloaded presets that were used as reference material)
  • Firmware version
  • Amp 1
  • Amp 2
  • IR 1
  • IR 2
  • IR 3
  • IR 4
  • Revision comments
  • Intended song(s) or genre

I track the amps and IRs as I refer to those parameters all the time and hate digging into a bunch of presets to find amp/IR combos I've used in the past. It's my sole argument to keeping this info spreadsheet based.

In the song/mix tab is where I match up which songs to preset/scenes.

FYI, part of my New Year's resolution is to move away from 160+ per song presets. I just can't manage that anymore. Currently, I am whittling that down to 18 artist-based presets which still allows me to cover the catalogue and still be fairly accurate. Two exceptions are Gimme Shelter (it just needs its own preset) and my SavageDuece preset of extreme gain and not suitable for minors.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom