Nick Raskulinecz Axe-Fx II

Admin M@

Administrator
Fractal Audio Systems
"Coolest."

I just had to say it; I first wrote that I had been working with one of the "hottest" rock producers in the world. While that's true, but the word that really needed to come first was "coolest."

In fact, these two words don't need to cancel each other out. In the opinion of this humble forum admin, my friend Grammy Award-winner Nick Raskulinecz is one of the coolest and hottest producers/players/musicians I've worked with.

You and I are fans, we bask in the glories of the musicians we admire. Their new work is exciting and anticipated. We take their musical word as guidance of our own playing. We follow bands like brands. Nick Raskilinecz ("Rascal-innix") is the man that the bands follow. Nick is the guy who gets our heroes working and excited. Nick is the dude who makes rock ROCK. To me, that's cool.

A lot of people know how to play the guitar. So does Nick. But you won't find many who also have his raw instincts about making great records based on great guitar tone. I take the fact that he digs the Axe-Fx so much as an objective testament to the black box. His talent as a producer/mixer is documented by his extensive back-catalogue. It is red-hot: McDonough Management - Nick Raskulinecz

It has been fantastic to get to know and work with Nick in the last year. Many a post or comment attributed only to "an artist" an be traced back to him. I was there (virtually w. Citrix) when he went from "What the hell?" to "Hell yeah!!!" while working with the Axe-Fx II on the Deftones Koi No Yokan (presets available!). He worked us hard in those first few sessions (using beta FW too!) You could feel him in the room even when he was silent. We at Fractal share Geddy Lee's sentiment that "It was a pleasure to be challenged by Nick," and we look forward to more. There is talk of a possible preset pack next summer. Meanwhile, my wish for all Axe-Fx fans is that Nick can awaken your inner producer. Let the creative out. Trust the box and rock.

Visiting Nick's Nashville studio this summer was an amazing experience. The place is a mecca of modern production with retro-roots and a true vision about what comes next. PS: If you haven't seen SOUND CITY, check it out. This guy is a living piece of rock history.

OK M@. Shut up and let Nick talk:

Last edited:
I wasn't familiar with him until I saw Rush talking about him. And yeah, the Sound City documentary is must see for music nuts. I'm a huge Dave Grohl fanboy so I think that everything he does is great, but even if I hadn't ever heard of him I would have enjoyed it.

But yeah, you can listen to everything he puts his fingers on and it's just amazing. Nick is the real deal.

That should sell some units. As he says at the end (more or less), if it didn't sound as good as all these great amps we have here (and given his credentials, he's got to have the best of the best), it wouldn't be here. That pretty much sums it up. Game, set, match.

Couldn't ask for a better endorsement :)

True that, Sean.

Here's the weird ironic story behind it.

Whereas normally I like to leave the real pros alone (THEY ARE SUPER BUSY!) I asked Nick if we could capture and share his story after I read a forum thread somewhere to the effect of "players may love the Axe-Fx but producers usually prefer something else." This struck me as either a real misperception or even misdirection. First of all, many big name players using the Axe-Fx are also top-notch producers, but to the point: there are SO many top producers/recording engineers/mix engineers who are nuts about Fractal that I just shook my head.

We favor guitar player stories -- since they're so obviously popular with guitar players, but there is a veritable pantheon of great music industry figures -- spanning all roles -- who use and admire Fractal Audio Systems products. My work puts me in contact with these people on a daily basis. Studio Owners. Producers. Engineers (watch for our ad with Richard Chycki!) Musical Directors. Production Managers. Road managers. Composers. Techs & Crew. Studio Assistants. And yes, even actual musicians. Our professional adherents cover all possible settings: Recording Studios, Stadium Tours, the Festival Circuit. Broadway. Vegas. Hollywood (TV, Film). Videogames. Theaters. Travelling shows. Cruise ships. Every size "club." You name it.

So yeah, as far as getting someone from outside our that "guitar hero" sphere, Nick is an ultimate endorser in my opinion.

Doesn't surprise me at the same time it's eye (ear?) opening to hear people on that level, with that sort of pedigree and resume to give such a strong testimony for a product. Puts a lot of the Internet 'tempest in a teapot' sort of blather into sharp perspective.

What's interesting is that now we have such sorts of actual testimonials coming out whereas as noted by Matt above, Fractal has left the pros alone because they are busy.... making music, setting the trends in gear and doing the actual creative work.

I love that now we are starting to hear - via these sorts of videos - from people on the front lines doing the real work about how unbelievable this product actually is. I already knew it was; but it's so cool to hear it from guys on the stratosphere of the music business.

Pure gold endorsement. Make that Platinum!!

Very cool video and thanks for sharing the story behind it M@!

Having no, real world, high profile artist recording experience, I was not aware of the power the producer has over a band in a recording environment. Many of these producers are excellent players or vocalists, and their own playing many times is prevalent on the bands' albums. It is really really great to hear it in his own words, how awesome this product is, and I'm giddy with excitement that I have the same gear that many of my idols are also using. I can remember back in the 80's where I'd see EVH's rack with 2 eventides, or Vai, or the Edge and know that I could never afford to have 1 of their processors, much less replicate the whole rack. It is true today, except that the price of technology has dropped, while the quality has risen exponentially. Average Joe's like me are the beneficiaries of that new economy, that put a product like this within reach of the common man. As good as the product is, and as much of an engineering and design masterpiece as it is, it is every bit of a "feat" that the price is affordable too, especially in light of what you get in return for the price.

I got my box last year with Firmware 5 or 6 in it. It sounds twice as good as it did then. For the same price. Amazed and humbled.

Gratefully,

Rod

Don't know if its possible to sell more Fractals than already are, but that endorsement ought to do it!!
Huge fan of his work!

Back
Top Bottom