NHL Playoffs

Man, what a playoff series, so far. Who would've seen Nashville sweeping Chicago? These wildcard teams this year are putting up a fight.

And how 'bout that double-OT game 5 between the Sens and Bruins!

I think some of those calls in the BOS game were a little ridiculous. I only watched both OT periods... but I think the "goalie interference" was a stretch. I can kind of see it, but, I don't think Anderson was actually interfered with, all things considered. Bigger than that, though... wtf on not giving BOS a penalty shot when Pageau dove on the shot? Regardless of him not grabbing it (I agree, he swatted it), he still covered the shot with his body, which is a clear rules violation and absolutely should have been called. Good for BOS for not letting either of those kill their spirits, they kept digging and ended up with the W.

My Pens get a few more days off while TOR and WSH sort out their series. I'm pulling for TOR in that one.

@selta Yes! I was so pissed about that goaltender interference call. Then, later, not giving them a penalty shot on the other scoring chance! I was watching the game with a friend and we were both livid. That's how it goes, though. We're not dead, yet.

Pens are looking good, as usual. I think that they'll beat the Leafs or Caps. Regardless, that'll be a good series to watch.

@selta Yes! I was so pissed about that goaltender interference call. Then, later, not giving them a penalty shot on the other scoring chance! I was watching the game with a friend and we were both livid. That's how it goes, though. We're not dead, yet.

Pens are looking good, as usual. I think that they'll beat the Leafs or Caps. Regardless, that'll be a good series to watch.
Heh, I just now noticed that you are from Mass. I'm glad BOS is still alive in that series. That's a heck of a hole to dig out of, but not at all impossible. You have a home game tomorrow, so hopefully that is a W to tie up the series. Who is Kurlay anyway? ;)

Didn't get to watch the STL/MIN game, but not overly surprised that STL put that series away. I might put on MTL/NYR or EDM/SJS later.

Who is Kurlay anyway?
Right! He came outta nowhere. I think we got him awhile back in a trade with the Sharks. With our lineup in shambles, he got the call. It worked out! :D

Man I thought the Wild were gonna pull it off and keep the series going. That game was furious towards the end.

Hate Boston sports teams!!! HATE THEM!!!!! :eek: :)

With that said, I was very fortunate to see and also meet the greatest hockey player ever to don the skates a few times. Bobby Orr. Cheevers had the best mask ever too!

Been awhile since I posted here... I tend to forget about the Lounge, and don't even hang around the FAS forums that much anymore.
Pens managed to win somehow tonight. They certainly tried hard to lose. I'll probably not catch the whole game on Wednesday...

NHL fan here for sure. I've been rooting for both of these teams that are in the finals now but since I'm European I have to root for the underdog. That and Pekka Rinne is from the same town as I am so I hope Nashville gets their first ever Stanley Cup. That being said... looks like Mario paid those referees in the last game. :D Reversed goal and two penalties for small pushes and a power play goal against.......

Pens managed to win somehow tonight. They certainly tried hard to lose.
No kidding. I don't think they had a shot on goal for the whole 2nd period. This loss is squarely on the shoulders of Pekka. Just look at how low the Pens SOG were for the game. His guys did the work out front. Pekka was having one of his infamous "off" nights.

Last edited:
Reversed goal and two penalties for small pushes and a power play goal against.......
No kidding. That reversed goal was clearly onside. I'll be pulling for the Predators. I'm a Bruins fan, but I've got family ties with Tennessee. My ancestors immigrated there from Scotland before spreading outward. So, keep it in the family. :D Hey, it gives me another reason to root against the Penguins!

The reversed goal I'm a little unsure of. From all the replays that the broadcast had, it wasn't definitive (my bias eyes of course saw him lifting his skate early). It could've been off side, but could've been fine. The folks in Toronto supposedly have other angles available and said off side, so thats how it goes.
Ekholm knee'ing one in sucks for them.

I've seen worse calls and non-calls.

No kidding. I don't think they had a shot on goal for the whole 2nd period. This loss is squarely on the shoulders of Pekka. Just look at how low the Pens SOT were for the game. His guys did the work out front. Pekka was having one of his infamous "off" nights.
37 minutes with no SOG. Longest in history, for as long as the stat has been tracked. I think both teams will be making major adjustments for game 2 tomorrow.

37 minutes with no SOG. Longest in history, for as long as the stat has been tracked. I think both teams will be making major adjustments for game 2 tomorrow.
Man. I knew it was low, but that's a crazy stat. And, I have no idea why I put "SOT". I fixed it. :D

Man. I knew it was low, but that's a crazy stat. And, I have no idea why I put "SOT". I fixed it. :D

First time I saw this thread - appears its been around for awhile !
Anyway - HUGE Pens fan here - born and raised in Pittsburgh and resident for first 30 years of my life. Last night was not their best showing - BUT - the thing about the Pens - they always find a way to win. Low shots on goal? they still won - down more than half the season with star player after star player? they still won. Making to the Stanley cup finals short Letang and for a short time Crosby and Malkin and Hornquist in the playoffs - they still made it. Last year they were almost in last place midway through the season - they fired the coach and won the cup. I have to say the coaching is quite amazing for the Pens.
Anyway - I don't think this will be a sweep by any means - but I do think the experience and coaching is there to repeat a cup win.
GO PENS !!!

Think I gotta go with the underdog even tho they creamed my Hawks(who really didn't deserve a Cup this season) ., and the city more associated with music.......Go Preds.

First time I saw this thread - appears its been around for awhile !
Anyway - HUGE Pens fan here - born and raised in Pittsburgh and resident for first 30 years of my life. Last night was not their best showing - BUT - the thing about the Pens - they always find a way to win. Low shots on goal? they still won - down more than half the season with star player after star player? they still won. Making to the Stanley cup finals short Letang and for a short time Crosby and Malkin and Hornquist in the playoffs - they still made it. Last year they were almost in last place midway through the season - they fired the coach and won the cup. I have to say the coaching is quite amazing for the Pens.
Anyway - I don't think this will be a sweep by any means - but I do think the experience and coaching is there to repeat a cup win.
GO PENS !!!
Next time Pittsburgh is playing in Vancouver, we should drive up there. I'm sporting my '92 Lemieux jersey today. Have a matching '92 Jagr one, as well :D

There's a clear underdog here. One team that has never made it to the SC finals and the other is there every year with Crosby, Malkin, Kessel... and way more experience than the Preds in every category. Pekka definitely had an off night but not getting a shot on you for most of the game can really get a goalie off his game. The next game will most likely be completely different... I mean that offside call and reversed goal combined with that penalty completely determined the game. Sure the referees tried to make up for it by giving questionable penalties to Pens as well but I'd rather see the players be responsible for how the game goes and not there referees... that was almost as bad as IIHF hockey referees. :D

This is young guns vs legends right?

Back
Top Bottom