NGD

Sixstring

Legend!
Here she is...
Ok so let the Carvin and Blue, Green color haters fling it :lol I don't care this guitar is really killer for the money I gave. It has everything I was looking for but the 12" Radius and pups I wanted... no biggie, Not a scratch or ding anywhere on this guitar to be found it looks brand new.

Spes. are
24 Fret set neck (tung oil finnish on the back)
Ebony Fret board
14" Radius
Hog Body (clear gloss finnish on the back)
AAAA Flame maple top and matching head stock finished in Deep Dragon Burst
Natural binding
Wilky Trem
Sperzel locking tuners
Stainless Steel Med Jumbo Frets
Dunlop Strap locs
Abalone Diamond Inlays
Abalone Carvin Logo
C22B & C22N Pups (13.6 Ohm)
G&G case

Last edited:
Noice! What pickups will you try in it (if you do)?

Looking for a PAF output pup for the bridge and whatever in the Neck that would complement it. I might stay with Carvin but not sure, they have a PAF output type pup... C22T but my go with a Seymour or something. I like a Vintage type of tone with respect to rock and metal, I know those are pretty far apart tone wise but in general I like a low output pup. I would rather have amp and pedals sims do all the distorting.

I'm open to recommendations from anyone?

Nice PRS copy. :)

I think it's pretty. Is that a bad thing? :lol

Sent using Tapatalk 4.

Thanks, I used to think that these were aimed at PRS and in a way they do come off as a PRS but at a closer look the shape is some what different. For instance the bottom cut is not carved out like a PRS is and the lower bout is more flat. nit picking probably but a PRS is a really nice guitar as well I was a PRS player for almost 10 years. This one reminds me of the two that I had a few years back all rolled into one.

It's beautiful! I don't know what Carvin calls it, but it reminds me of a Caribbean Burst, which is one of my favorite finishes. I've never had a chance to play a Carvin but they do make great looking guitars. Here's my Breedlove Mark IV with a similar color scheme.

mark 4-1.jpg

Hey Sixstring, I'm curious... since your new guitar appears to be a mahogany body + mahogany neck, do you find you have any dead spots on the neck (i.e. some areas in the upper region of the neck where natural sustain is negatively impacted by the body+neck resonance)?

I had bought a Suhr that was hog body and hog neck, and the b-string 15th fret was dead. I returned it and am still working with Suhr to find an adequate replacement.

Yours has a maple top, so maybe it doesn't suffer from these dead spots, but apparenty they are very common on all-mahogany guitars (?)

Hey Sixstring, I'm curious... since your new guitar appears to be a mahogany body + mahogany neck, do you find you have any dead spots on the neck (i.e. some areas in the upper region of the neck where natural sustain is negatively impacted by the body+neck resonance)?

I had bought a Suhr that was hog body and hog neck, and the b-string 15th fret was dead. I returned it and am still working with Suhr to find an adequate replacement.

Yours has a maple top, so maybe it doesn't suffer from these dead spots, but apparenty they are very common on all-mahogany guitars (?)

Humm, I have never noticed this and I have had quite a few Mahogany guitars, but all with Maple caps except one. A Suhr Rasmus Guthrie sig modle and didn't notice it with that guitar and that guitar is all Hog. But to be honest I have never heard of this so I wouldn't have been paying too much attention to it. How dead are they? I mean is it really noticeable or is it something that you really have to listen for?

It's beautiful! I don't know what Carvin calls it, but it reminds me of a Caribbean Burst, which is one of my favorite finishes. I've never had a chance to play a Carvin but they do make great looking guitars. Here's my Breedlove Mark IV with a similar color scheme.

View attachment 20390

Nice! Carvin calls it Dragon Burst. They also do a Caribbean type of scheme but it has some of the naturel wood in it to give it the appearance of sand. down side is it's what they call an option 50 order so if you don't like it your stuck having to sell it.

Humm, I have never noticed this and I have had quite a few Mahogany guitars, but all with Maple caps except one. A Suhr Rasmus Guthrie sig modle and didn't notice it with that guitar and that guitar is all Hog. But to be honest I have never heard of this so I wouldn't have been paying too much attention to it. How dead are they? I mean is it really noticeable or is it something that you really have to listen for?

Pretty noticeable, but it did take me a few days before I realized it (you don't necessarily play every fret on every string while paying attention, all in the first try). I'd say the decay time is about half of what it is on other (non-dead) spots. I categorized it as unacceptable, in my case. The guitar in question was a Modern Satin (the non-Chinese / USA-made equivalent to the Rasmus). I was very disappointed that it had that (major) flaw, because I really wanted to love and keep that guitar.

Pretty noticeable, but it did take me a few days before I realized it (you don't necessarily play every fret on every string while paying attention, all in the first try). I'd say the decay time is about half of what it is on other (non-dead) spots. I categorized it as unacceptable, in my case. The guitar in question was a Modern Satin (the non-Chinese / USA-made equivalent to the Rasmus). I was very disappointed that it had that (major) flaw, because I really wanted to love and keep that guitar.

Understand completely, I had a hard time bonding with the Rasmus so I wound up selling it for a Carvin. Unfortunately it's all I can afford at the moment and given my budget Used Carvin guitars are very attractive. One gets a lot of features for the money, I realize that not everyone likes the way Carvin guitars play or sound. I can't stand the electronics they use so I'm preforming surgery tonight replacing the volume, tone and switch with a PRS drop in. I will also be installing a Tremol-No setup for dive bombs only.

As soon as I figure out which Pup set I want to go with I will be replacing those as well. It's a little easer to do it in increments then get it all at once 8). As soon as I finnish up I will give all the frets a go and see if I can hear any differences and report back.

No noticeable dead spots in the neck went all the way up the neck on every string, nada! Now I just need to address the tuning stability :roll.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom