NGD - Wolfgang Special

I've ordered a Free-Way switch for the Wolfgang and one for my Strat to check out. Seems like a great way to get a variety of tones with just a switch swap. Will see how it works out. I'll probably keep to the simple split coil options but it's nice you can do some other configurations with it too. Thanks for the tip on the Free-Way switch @rushfan!

I'm guessing the split-coil tones from the Wolfgang pickups are serviceable and worth the effort?

Umm - I have seen a few say not to bother with a coil split on these and that's something I do almost as a habit. I did try it temporarily and wasn't really blown away. But the humbuckers on these things sound great to my ears - never get dull. I am just not sure they were ever meant to sound jangly single coil... but YMMV.

I have a USA and it's still my absolute favourite guitar ever owned - the neck profile & the sound.

Thanks for the info. I’m not expecting it will be the best single coil sounds- just something with some added variety from the hums only.

The neck and pickups are fast becoming my favorites too I think.

I think it's the narrowness and definitely the rolled edges - so darn comfortable.
I've had (2 x MIM and 1 x USA) 3 to date and there's another on route :grin:

I've ordered a Free-Way switch for the Wolfgang and one for my Strat to check out. Seems like a great way to get a variety of tones with just a switch swap. Will see how it works out. I'll probably keep to the simple split coil options but it's nice you can do some other configurations with it too. Thanks for the tip on the Free-Way switch @rushfan!

I'm guessing the split-coil tones from the Wolfgang pickups are serviceable and worth the effort?

I like the split coil sounds I get. Of course, it is slightly less power than HB, but I use it for U2 and RHCP covers and such, and it is a nice, glassy, airy tone. So I have patches dedicated to split coil use.
I used to play a super strat all of the time, and I didn't realize how often I would go to the SC sounds on it, so I missed that for a while.

Here's one with my Wolfgang Standard with the Freeway switch set on single coil playing a dirty tone - using a Rat distortion in front of a Brit 800 amp - trying to copy a more recent recording of Chicago.

@rushfan - I got a Freeway Switch - the 3x3-07 which has a pre-wired harness. Do you have a wiring diagram for hooking it into the Wolfgang? I was looking for a diagram all laid out so I wouldn't get my wires crossed...

@rushfan - I got a Freeway Switch - the 3x3-07 which has a pre-wired harness. Do you have a wiring diagram for hooking it into the Wolfgang? I was looking for a diagram all laid out so I wouldn't get my wires crossed...
I had to email the manufacturer with what I was looking for, and they got right back to me within a day or two with the wiring diagram I needed.
I didn’t have a pre-wired harness, just the switch, so it used the existing wires.
As I mentioned before, I did take it to my favorite, trusted guitar shop and they put it in for me, for $50.
I assume, since it is pre-wired, you just intend to connect the wires to the existing wires in the switch cavity? Sounds like a good plan to make it easier to hook up - my next freeway switch for a different guitar will follow that plan!
Wow, just looked that up - awesome with the harness already attached. That didn’t exist a couple of years ago. Nice!

Last edited:
I had to email the manufacturer with what I was looking for, and they got right back to me within a day or two with the wiring diagram I needed.
I didn’t have a pre-wired harness, just the switch, so it used the existing wires.
As I mentioned before, I did take it to my favorite, trusted guitar shop and they put it in for me, for $50.
I assume, since it is pre-wired, you just intend to connect the wires to the existing wires in the switch cavity? Sounds like a good plan to make it easier to hook up - my next freeway switch for a different guitar will follow that plan!
Wow! Just looked that up! Awesome with the harness already attached! That didn’t exist a couple of years ago. Nice!
Thanks @rushfan for your experience - I emailed them already - hopefully will hear back soon. I think to get the coil tap going I'll have to expose the green and white wires which are tied together now from the factory pickup wiring. It looks like the EVH pickups use the Peavey wire colors from what I can glean from the web.

Thanks @rushfan for your experience - I emailed them already - hopefully will hear back soon. I think to get the coil tap going I'll have to expose the green and white wires which are tied together now from the factory pickup wiring. It looks like the EVH pickups use the Peavey wire colors from what I can glean from the web.
I found it! It's for humbuckers, but mine was for the bare switch without the harness - but it might help.

Attachments

• 3X3-03 Scheme 013.pdf
    163.8 KB · Views: 3
  • Free Way diagram.JPG
    Free Way diagram.JPG
    159.6 KB · Views: 6
Back
Top Bottom