NGD....tomorrow - buyers remorse today

Bman

Power User
I have serious buyers remorse and the thing hasn't arrived. In a moment of weakness I bought the EVH Frankie relic. I don't need another guitar, man... And I hate 9's!!! What was I thinking? I'm dialing in my flanger, phaser and echo tonight in anticipation. I'd post a pic but we all know what it looks like. I just gotta be home to intercept it before the wife gets home. Otherwise, I'll have to sell her a story that it's broken and and I'm fixing it for a friend....lol. One look and she'll agree that it's broken...hahhaa

If you fall in love with it when it arrives, the remorse will go away. I went through the same thing when I bought my Ibanez AZ.

A friend got one last week. It's pretty freakin' nice. Setup out of the box was fantastic and the 9s make it feel really fast under your fingers. That low friction volume knob is fun. Neck feels amazing.

Ha, I just did the same thing. After seeing everyone doing demos of these guitars and how impressed they were with them I placed an order last week with Sweetwater expecting I'd have a couple of months to think about my purchase. Well, looks like they are starting to get the ball rolling on guitar making again as I just got my shipping confirmation. Now I have to explain to the wife how my birthday gift from her will be showing up tomorrow!

5 minutes in and WOW!!!! I see what the fuss is over the pickup. The guitar has a fat sounding mojo going on and the 9's don't seem to bother me even 1/2 step down, playing in drop D (C#). This thing is way cool!! I gotta look up how to fine tune the D-Tuna. It's a tad flat when it's 'in' or tune to standard. I'm shocked at how 'set up' it is out of the cardboard box. Running through the drop D tunes now....Unchained, 5150, Amsterdam (what I know of that one).

I got suckered into the listing on Reverb and found ProAudio (?) had it $100 bucks cheaper on their site. The were the ones listing it. I figured $1499 for a used one wasn't too bad. Who cares if it's dinged, right? But the salesman offered a new one for $150 more and comes with warranty, etc..

A friend got one last week. It's pretty freakin' nice. Setup out of the box was fantastic and the 9s make it feel really fast under your fingers. That low friction volume knob is fun. Neck feels amazing.
Exactly... I want the low friction volume on all my guitars now. I bought some 9.5's just in case I couldn't deal with the rubber bands. But it's all good and, like Ricky Bobby.....I wanna go fast, Mama.

edit: I can't get over how well the pickup cleans up. I've got a lower output Thornbucker plus in another guitar WITH a treble bleed and it doesn't clean up anything close to this one. I'm really tempted to toss the JB in my Charvel for one of these.

Last edited:
Congrats on the guitar; mojo is everything!

I've been using 10s for most of my life and just switched to D'Addario Balanced Tension 9s, which are even lower tension than regular 9s, on a 25.5" scale. It took like two days to get used to them!

About the JB, I'd personally go for just about anything else, and I have a pickup very similar to that in my current guitar, so you got me wondering about this Frankie pickup now. From reading the EVH site, it looks like this is the one. Is that right?

post a pic! Once you get the D-tuna setup its pretty great. I installed one on my Music Man Axis. I sold my EVH red white striped series the other week and yeah the wolfgang pup is an amazing pickup. I was shocked how well it cleaned up.

I recently worked myself up over the 75th commemorative Strat, almost ordered it. We all know this feeling; sleeplessness, keep thinking about that one guitar - guess that is how GAS shows up for me.
A store a town over has one on display, went for a drive to check it out. It is a nice guitar and all, but just didn’t catch me. I didn’t buy it - glad I didn’t order online. This would have been a serious case of buyer’s remorse. This was the first time my gut defeated GAS.

I recently worked myself up over the 75th commemorative Strat, almost ordered it. We all know this feeling; sleeplessness, keep thinking about that one guitar - guess that is how GAS shows up for me.
A store a town over has one on display, went for a drive to check it out. It is a nice guitar and all, but just didn’t catch me. I didn’t buy it - glad I didn’t order online. This would have been a serious case of buyer’s remorse. This was the first time my gut defeated GAS.

To me it's a very real danger to think a guitar is the awesomest thing ever...until you see it in person. Recently I had the opposite happen: I love the idea of the Dean Exile because it has unbelievable upper fret access, but I always thought the body shape looked kinda bad. But I just saw one in a shop within the past few weeks, and I was shocked that in person I freakin' loved it! Regardless, I just can't bring myself to trust any guitar I can't try first; the biggest concern for me would be dead spots; nothing can tell you that until you play it yourself, and I don't trust anyone to tell the truth online.

Back
Top Bottom