NGD - Tom Anderson incoming

The guitar showed up this afternoon, but I didn't get around to opening the box and taking it out until about an hour ago.

So far, I'm liking it a lot!

It looks as good in person as in the pics even in poor light.

I'd prefer if the neck were a bit slimmer but it's still very playable.

The spec sheet says the frets are jumbo but the they seem narrower than my DK-24 and Suhr frets. I'll do more comparison later.

It's pretty light and very resonant.

I played it for about 45 minutes so far.

The pickups sound great in all 5 positions - I enjoy both the 2/4 positions and I am not usually a fan of split pickups. They're pretty loud but also adjusted very close to the strings. I'm gonna try lowering them a bit and see how I like them.

I'm not a fan of the trem bar. It's skinny like my PRS (which I also don't like) and I don't care for the angle compared to my other trems and definitely not a fan of the plastic tip.

@Andy Eagle - any idea if there are other trem bar options for the "baby" Floyd?

Looking forward to more playing time, but it's a winner!

I agree about the plastic tip on the trem arm. I'd love to get a replacement for mine that didn't have the plastic. I also agree that the even taper neck profile feels larger in the hands than the specification sheet would make you think. The even C slim that Suhr makes is pretty similar on paper but somehow it feels a lot thinner than the Anderson even taper. Either way, I like the even taper profile and I'd probably go with that on another TAG if I were to place another order.

I agree about the plastic tip on the trem arm. I'd love to get a replacement for mine that didn't have the plastic. I also agree that the even taper neck profile feels larger in the hands than the specification sheet would make you think. The even C slim that Suhr makes is pretty similar on paper but somehow it feels a lot thinner than the Anderson even taper. Either way, I like the even taper profile and I'd probably go with that on another TAG if I were to place another order.
There are a couple options on the Floyd Rose website:

https://www.floydrose.com/collections/upgrades/products/frtapi?variant=29837630034

https://www.floydrose.com/products/turbotrm?variant=29837657554

And while I was searching I also found this:

https://www.andersonguitarworks.com/guitar-tales/2018/3/26/march-26-2018

Which is about the Angel of @Sean Ashe :)

Of those two, I'd go with the push in style. I've seen that the other type develops a lot of play over time whereas the push in style can be adjusted by set screw just like the stock one from Anderson. I still want one that has the threading and the adjustable tension collar like the stock Anderson bar.

Of those two, I'd go with the push in style. I've seen that the other type develops a lot of play over time whereas the push in style can be adjusted by set screw just like the stock one from Anderson. I still want one that has the threading and the adjustable tension collar like the stock Anderson bar.
Yeah... I have replaced all the ones in my Ibanez Edge trems with the threaded collar type. They can wear but it takes a lot of use before that happens and they aren't that expensive. In fact, I might have an extra one around ;)

The one on this Anderson is push in but also screws in - similar to the Gotoh 510 and 1996.

The guitar showed up this afternoon, but I didn't get around to opening the box and taking it out until about an hour ago.

So far, I'm liking it a lot!

It looks as good in person as in the pics even in poor light.

I'd prefer if the neck were a bit slimmer but it's still very playable.

The spec sheet says the frets are jumbo but the they seem narrower than my DK-24 and Suhr frets. I'll do more comparison later.

It's pretty light and very resonant.

I played it for about 45 minutes so far.

The pickups sound great in all 5 positions - I enjoy both the 2/4 positions and I am not usually a fan of split pickups. They're pretty loud but also adjusted very close to the strings. I'm gonna try lowering them a bit and see how I like them.

I'm not a fan of the trem bar. It's skinny like my PRS (which I also don't like) and I don't care for the angle compared to my other trems and definitely not a fan of the plastic tip.

@Andy Eagle - any idea if there are other trem bar options for the "baby" Floyd?

Looking forward to more playing time, but it's a winner!
Anderson doesn't use the stock trem arm on the baby Floyd. They machine the base plate to accept the same arm used on their vintage tremolo. I believe that bridge is proprietary to Anderson. They have very good customer service. I'd call and ask if there are any options available.

Well... I attempted today to replace the trem bar. I remembered I had an extra one of the collar type sockets.

I slacked all the strings and removed the springs but was unable to get the trem out without completely removing the studs - there was not enough room to "tilt" it out. And there's no access to the socket from within the backside rout.

After getting it out, I was not able to remove the nut on the socket. It was pretty tight and after getting a deep socket on there and applying some torque it finally moved... But it was only spinning the socket not loosening the nut :(

Any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom