NGD: Tom Anderson Angel

OrganicZed

Fractal Fanatic
Behold, my newest guitar acquisition!

This is a Tom Anderson Guitarworks Angel finished in sheer blue wakesurf. It has an alder body, a nicely figured maple top, caramelized maple neck with the even tapered profile, rosewood finger board, jumbo stainless steel frets, and the non-fine tuner Floyd Rose bridge. It weighs 7 lb 8 oz.

The pickups are the H1-, SF1, and H2+. The toggle is to switch between full humbucking (down) and split coil (up). There is also a push / pull tone pot that allows the middle pickup setting to be switched between the single coil (down) or both humbuckers (up). All nine pickup settings are useful sounds which makes it a very versatile guitar. I find that these medium output pickups have really great string separation that makes dense chord voicings ring clearly with lots of gain and also makes the core tone sit really well with layered modulation and delay.

Some natural light photos:
1660417868892.png

1660417905049.png

1660417931879.png

This is a photo in some higher color temperature lighting.
1660417983756.png

As you can see, the frets are beautifully finished.

1660418024957.png

Speaking of finish, I made a video to show off the sheer finish. This designation means that the clear coat has reflective speckles in it that cause the light to dance off of the guitar in a manner similar to a metal flake finish.

I have played this guitar for a few hours now and it is an inspiring instrument. It is still early, but I think this is my new #1 favorite guitar. That is a high bar because my others are Suhr and USA made PRS guitars. I have been unable to find a single flaw on the instrument and I'm very picky. It has no dead notes, no finish issues, the frets are perfectly level across the entire neck, and the setup is right were I like it (after a quick tweak of the truss rod). This is my first real deal custom guitar and it turned out about as well as I could have hoped for.

Is that their "blackheart" treatment to their rosewood boards? Or just a really dark rosewood board?

Killer looking guitar. Hard to wrong with Anderson Guitarworks.

Is that their "blackheart" treatment to their rosewood boards? Or just a really dark rosewood board?

Killer looking guitar. Hard to wrong with Anderson Guitarworks.

It is just a dark even board of rosewood. Blackheart is a different wood entirely. This is a quote from the TAG website:

""Blackheart” is in actuality, Purpleheart wood that has been “roasted” and now appears very dark to the eye—almost black. We call it Blackheart. "

Behold, my newest guitar acquisition!

This is a Tom Anderson Guitarworks Angel finished in sheer blue wakesurf. It has an alder body, a nicely figured maple top, caramelized maple neck with the even tapered profile, rosewood finger board, jumbo stainless steel frets, and the non-fine tuner Floyd Rose bridge. It weighs 7 lb 8 oz.

The pickups are the H1-, SF1, and H2+. The toggle is to switch between full humbucking (down) and split coil (up). There is also a push / pull tone pot that allows the middle pickup setting to be switched between the single coil (down) or both humbuckers (up). All nine pickup settings are useful sounds which makes it a very versatile guitar. I find that these medium output pickups have really great string separation that makes dense chord voicings ring clearly with lots of gain and also makes the core tone sit really well with layered modulation and delay.

Some natural light photos:
View attachment 106523

View attachment 106524

View attachment 106525

This is a photo in some higher color temperature lighting.
View attachment 106526

As you can see, the frets are beautifully finished.

View attachment 106527

Speaking of finish, I made a video to show off the sheer finish. This designation means that the clear coat has reflective speckles in it that cause the light to dance off of the guitar in a manner similar to a metal flake finish.

I have played this guitar for a few hours now and it is an inspiring instrument. It is still early, but I think this is my new #1 favorite guitar. That is a high bar because my others are Suhr and USA made PRS guitars. I have been unable to find a single flaw on the instrument and I'm very picky. It has no dead notes, no finish issues, the frets are perfectly level across the entire neck, and the setup is right were I like it (after a quick tweak of the truss rod). This is my first real deal custom guitar and it turned out about as well as I could have hoped for.

So was that a custom order direct from them, or did you get it from a dealer?

So was that a custom order direct from them, or did you get it from a dealer?

It was a custom order placed through Morgan Music. As I understand it, you can't order a guitar directly from Tom Anderson Guitarworks. You have to place it through one of their dealers. Suhr handles their custom orders the same way.

I put together a specification sheet using the custom guitar order form on the TAG website and designated Morgan Music as the dealer. They sent the form to Morgan Music and their guitar department contacted me to give me a price quote and to walk me through the various build options I had specified. It was helpful to talk to someone who has done a bunch of orders and played a bunch of the guitars. Once we finalized the specifications I paid a 20% deposit and they submitted the build order. When the guitar was done TAG shipped it to Morgan Music. They called me on Tuesday letting me know it had arrived. I paid the balance and they shipped it out to me.

It was a custom order placed through Morgan Music. As I understand it, you can't order a guitar directly from Tom Anderson Guitarworks. You have to place it through one of their dealers. Suhr handles their custom orders the same way.

I put together a specification sheet using the custom guitar order form on the TAG website and designated Morgan Music as the dealer. They sent the form to Morgan Music and their guitar department contacted me to give me a price quote and to walk me through the various build options I had specified. It was helpful to talk to someone who has done a bunch of orders and played a bunch of the guitars. Once we finalized the specifications I paid a 20% deposit and they submitted the build order. When the guitar was done TAG shipped it to Morgan Music. They called me on Tuesday letting me know it had arrived. I paid the balance and they shipped it out to me.
Cool. Roughly now long did it take to be delivered?

Back
Top Bottom