NGD - Taylor Acoustic!

Chewie5150

Fractal Fanatic
It's been ages since I've bought an acoustic. I give so much attention to electrics but lately have rekindled my love of playing acoustic. Today I did the dangerous thing: stopped at the guitar shop ..you know for strings and such. Thought i'd wander into the acoustic room. Whole wall of beautiful Taylors and i swear it was gravity...a black hole just sucked me straight to this one. It feels and plays beautifully. It's a Taylor 224ce Koa Grand Auditorium Deluxe. I also of course drooled at the higher end Taylors there but I'd have to sell both kidneys for those. This one is really on a different level though for what I'm used to. View attachment Taylor.jpg

Wow that’s nice!
I’ve always found that playing an acoustic for a while, makes me a better electric player - probably because it’s good exercise. Congrats Chewie, it looks beautiful!
Thanks
Pauly
It's been ages since I've bought an acoustic. I give so much attention to electrics but lately have rekindled my love of playing acoustic. Today I did the dangerous thing: stopped at the guitar shop ..you know for strings and such. Thought i'd wander into the acoustic room. Whole wall of beautiful Taylors and i swear it was gravity...a black hole just sucked me straight to this one. It feels and plays beautifully. It's a Taylor 224ce Koa Grand Auditorium Deluxe. I also of course drooled at the higher end Taylors there but I'd have to sell both kidneys for those. This one is really on a different level though for what I'm used to. View attachment 129476

It's been ages since I've bought an acoustic. I give so much attention to electrics but lately have rekindled my love of playing acoustic. Today I did the dangerous thing: stopped at the guitar shop ..you know for strings and such. Thought i'd wander into the acoustic room. Whole wall of beautiful Taylors and i swear it was gravity...a black hole just sucked me straight to this one. It feels and plays beautifully. It's a Taylor 224ce Koa Grand Auditorium Deluxe. I also of course drooled at the higher end Taylors there but I'd have to sell both kidneys for those. This one is really on a different level though for what I'm used to. View attachment 129476
That's a beauty - congrats!

I'm not much for the extra bling of the higher-end Taylors, so I started with a 314ce. Took it home, but it just wasn't quite what I wanted. Moved up to I believe it was a 614ce..., same thing, brought that back, and made the GC salesman bring out the 3 714ce's they had, 2 Spruce tops and 1 Cedar, and ended up with one of the Spruce.

Nice thing about doing it this way, it doesn't feel like you're spending so much money all at once! :tearsofjoy:

I'm not much for the extra bling of the higher-end Taylors, so I started with a 314ce. Took it home, but it just wasn't quite what I wanted. Moved up to I believe it was a 614ce..., same thing, brought that back, and made the GC salesman bring out the 3 714ce's they had, 2 Spruce tops and 1 Cedar, and ended up with one of the Spruce.

Nice thing about doing it this way, it doesn't feel like you're spending so much money all at once! :tearsofjoy:
The higher series were just way out of my budget sadly. As it is the 224 was a pretty penny and surprising to me is that the sides are laminated at this price point. My Seagull (canadian made) guitar that I traded towards is valued about half of this Taylor and it had all solid wood. Are Taylors like the PRS of acoustics ? man they are premium priced! I debated moving up to the 300 series and after talking with guy at guitar shop he swayed me towards the 224 for that price point. I'm not bothered really by laminated sides.

If the guitar plays and sounds well, I wouldn’t worry about the sides either. I went through a bunch of Taylors before figuring out which model works best for me. A lot of it had to do with me being a heavy strummer who mostly plays with picks. There’s a reason that they have so many different models. The first ones that I bought were geared more for fingerpicking styles so they didn’t have a lot of headroom. They’d sound harsh when I really attacked the strings.
I finally found the right model for me. Although it’s a high end model, I don’t think it’s flashy at all. The arm bevel makes all the difference when your playing for long periods.
Have you done side-by-side comparisons of the different models? You might be surprised how much you like your 224 vs. others.

I have a 714ce with the Lutz spruce top. It’s a sweet guitar. The Taylor’s are all built well, but not all equal in tone within the same models. You have to try them out to find the one that suits you. It’s fun shopping them.

If the guitar plays and sounds well, I wouldn’t worry about the sides either. I went through a bunch of Taylors before figuring out which model works best for me. A lot of it had to do with me being a heavy strummer who mostly plays with picks. There’s a reason that they have so many different models. The first ones that I bought were geared more for fingerpicking styles so they didn’t have a lot of headroom. They’d sound harsh when I really attacked the strings.
I finally found the right model for me. Although it’s a high end model, I don’t think it’s flashy at all. The arm bevel makes all the difference when your playing for long periods.
Have you done side-by-side comparisons of the different models? You might be surprised how much you like your 224 vs. others.

I have a 714ce with the Lutz spruce top. It’s a sweet guitar. The Taylor’s are all built well, but not all equal in tone within the same models. You have to try them out to find the one that suits you. It’s fun shopping them.
I plan to go back to the store in a few days just to compare a bit more. I didn't do any extensive auditioning of the other models. I looked at 3 Taylors. The 224 just immediately felt and sounded good it kinda surprised me. I always get gut feelings like that with guitars. Like in Wayne's world. oh yes, i will have you. I am split about 50/50 for my playing style on acoustic. Fingerstyle/strumming. That being said, i'm not a heavy strummer so the 224 balances both styles quite well. Its not as mid rangey sound but has a very nice low end that I like. Bit more mellow probably due also to the Koa. I gravitate more to warmer/mellow tones on acoustics vs bright anyhow. A beveled armrest would be very sweet! especially on an acoustic for extended periods of playing.

Last edited:
I plan to go back to the store in a few days just to compare a bit more. I didn't do any extensive auditioning of the other models. I looked at 3 Taylors. The 224 just immediately felt and sounded good it kinda surprised me. I always get gut feelings like that with guitars. Like in Wayne's world. oh yes, i will have you. I am split about 50/50 for my playing style on acoustic. Fingerstyle/strumming. That being said, i'm not a heavy strummer so the 224 balances both styles quite well. Its not as mid rangey sound but has a very nice low end that I like. Bit more mellow probably due also to the Koa. I gravitate more to warmer/mellow tones on acoustics vs bright anyhow. A beveled armrest would be very sweet! especially on an acoustic for extended periods of playing.

The top is more important than the sides and back. The sounds varies within the same models. The build quality is good on all of them but they still have individual voices. I tried some 200 series that sounded better than the 300’s. If your Koa is the one than it’s the one! Congrats!

Back
Top Bottom