NGD / Suggested 7-String String Gauges

jakel

Power User
I just bought a Schecter Banshee Elite-7 FR S, and I love it so far. It's my first 7 string, so I'm a newb when it comes to string sizes. The guitar came with .009, .011, .016, .026, .036, .046, & .062 Ernie Ball.

I normally use Elixir Nanoweb 9s because my skin acid destroys a standard set quickly, and I like the smooth feel. I will be using standard tuning and pitch, using it in a church worship band.

I can't seem to find the exact sizes my guitar shipped with in any one pack, Elixir or Ernie Ball. I also notice when playing the guitar that the low B seems a bit more chunky sounding than the others. In other words - and this is normal to an extent I realize - if I play an E power interval using the low E string and the B on the A string, it sounds good. Then if I play that same interval on the B and E strings, it sounds a bit too thick, or muddled.

So I'm wondering, what would happen if I made the low B just a bit smaller? Or, what would happen if I used a standard 6 string set (.009, .011, .016, .024, .032, .042) with an appropriately sized B string (.052?)?

I just looked up the Elixir strings, and it looks like my options are .052, .056 & .068, at least from Strings & Beyond where I normally shop them.

Thanks for any advice or tips given!IMG_1329.JPG

Thanks! It definitely captures a sound I can't get with my other guitars (all the usual strats, LP, Tele, etc.)
Yeah, i only have one 7 string guitar which is fast becoming my favorite! It's set up with 9.5,13,16,24,34,46,64, but i have not much experience with other gauges.

So I'm wondering, what would happen if I made the low B just a bit smaller? Or, what would happen if I used a standard 6 string set (.009, .011, .016, .024, .032, .042) with an appropriately sized B string (.052?)?

I think a .056 B is a better match for a .042 E. They'll be about the same tension.

For plain strings in standard I normally use .009 .012 .016. Maybe you'd want to consider swapping the .011 for a .012. I always found .011 too light vs. the E & G in .009-.042 sets.

I've got a Schecter KM7 MKII that I string with D'Addario NYXL 9-46 packs and buy the 62 in singles. I typically tune a half step down most of the time and those gauges serve me well. I guess it depends on how you'll be tuning it. If I want to do drop G or something crazy, then I like the thicker B string. If you're just in standard tuning, something a little lighter than a 62 probably wouldn't be a bad idea.

I think 62 on the B is a bit much- thats probably for someone doing a drop A on the low B or something...

I recommend a 52 I've tried it all and like it.

I buy strings by the ton- so I find it just easier to stock ernie ball 9-42 sets, and then buy 3 packs of .52 on the side

I use 8's, but haven't got great results with 8's on 7 strings.

ALSO- take that silca stuff out of the case- it's good for cases but bad for the guitars in them

I use .56 on my fixed bridges and .52 on my floating one (JPXI-7). It depends on the guitar and the saddle adjustments that are available. I'd recommend a .52 for your guitar, but it's up to you. I don't think you'll notice a huge difference between either once setup.

Back
Top Bottom