NGD - Skervesen Shoggie DC NTB 8 string

Brock

Experienced
I got this guitar a while ago and finally getting around to sharing it with the world. To say I think it's spectacular is an understatement. Hands down, it's the best playing guitar I've ever played and the workmanship is second to none. With the "World Domination Mod" pickup selection system, it's also capable of a wide variety of tones - from tight chunk to tubey lead to spanky single coil to sparkly in-between sounds. And it's not too bad to look at either!

ShoggieDC 8 | 28" - 26" | 7 piece pau ferro-maple-wenge-pau ferro thru body neck | ziricote fretboard | high grade poplar burl top | black limba body | ABM headless hardware | Dunlop straplocks | Bare Knuckle Pickups Nailbomb Ceramic bridge pickup + Holydiver neck pickup | Graph Tech Black TUSQ nut | Jescar stainless steel frets | Luminlay side dots | Skervesen's "World Domination Mod" switching system

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1symQbbAA8DF6AGmcK8Iv7cUh_KWi0Y30
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1E7resUBjdLeKNMCyG7qgVCjOLYMSqCfK

Last edited:
I personally wouldn't touch that thing with a ten foot pole. But I can recognize good craftsmanship when I see it. Whoever made it knew what they were doing.

I personally wouldn't touch that thing with a ten foot pole. But I can recognize good craftsmanship when I see it. Whoever made it knew what they were doing.
To each his own, but I'm curious why you wouldn't "touch it....".

I'd play the snot outta that thing without hesitation. I've been playing 7 stringers for 12 years now, so another string wouldn't deter me. The fanned fret board might take some getting used to, but damn...I'd give it a good old Texas try.

To each his own, but I'm curious why you wouldn't "touch it....".

I'd play the snot outta that thing without hesitation. I've been playing 7 stringers for 12 years now, so another string wouldn't deter me. The fanned fret board might take some getting used to, but damn...I'd give it a good old Texas try.

- Fender guy through and through
- No headstock
- Not my kind of shape
- Too many strings.

I started playing 7-string in 98, 8-string in 2013, and 9-string in 2014. My main guitar has been my 9-string since then (and it doesn't have any fret markers) so I'm fine with all that. I'm still getting a bit used to the fanned frets. That said, I definitely prefer the FF approach as when I go back to my 9 now, soloing on it is considerably more difficult to the 28 5/8" scale length.

I get that some people don't like the look - strange shape, no headstock. My guess is Skervesen isn't selling too many Shoggies to Fender/Gibson stalwarts. ;) That said, while I like the way the guitar looks, ergonomically, I find the guitar amazing. It's super light and feels far more balanced than a guitar with a headstock. Holdsworth talked about it HERE.

Last edited:
- Fender guy through and through
'Nuff said. Nothing wrong with that. Still have my '96 American Ultra Strat Plus I like to pick on every now and again. As much as I love my 7 stringers, they can't get the same tones a Strat can, but they weren't designed to. I get the loyalty thing.

I get that some people don't like the look - strange shape, no headstock. My guess is Skervesen isn't selling to many Shoggies to Fender/Gibson stalwarts. ;) That said, while I like the way the guitar looks, ergonomically, I find the guitar amazing. It's super light and feels far more balanced than a guitar with a headstock. Holdsworth talked about it HERE.
I actually love the way it looks. The only changes I'd want would be 6 strings and a trem. I plan to eventually build something when I get my woodshop finished (which has been several years in the making itself :)).

Back
Top Bottom