NGD: Schecter Sun Valley Super Shredder Exotic

Update: I finally figured out how to mitigate the harshness this guitar exhibits in the bridge pickup: raise it!

I don't like my pickups high usually. There's something about the softness of the attack with a low pickup that call to me, so that's my go-to setting. But I had the idea just to raise both the bridge and neck Saturday Night Specials I installed to this guitar, and it totally worked! What's funny is it went from me having the I/O Input 1 level at around 90% with the pickups low to 9.8% with the pickups high; that level of difference kind of shocked me.

This makes totally sense to me too, because I would imagine the very idea of a superstrat is to have a hot pickup really close to the strings, and let that high input do the work on a plexi or whatnot. These Saturday Night Specials are not particularly hot compared to what's available these days, but they just sound good no matter where you set your volume and tone pots on your guitar; i.e., they're versatile as f**k.

This occurred to me to try when I was posted about how other people's presets always sound like dogs**t with my setup, and, slow to catch on as I am, it dawned on me that the dullness (that I like to call warmth haha) that I purposely seek in my pickups probably makes my guitar sound unusual, especially since it is built solely for 80s shredding. Well, I love shredders, but I love vintage tones. Anyway, I thought maybe I'd try getting the intended bite, so to speak, of a superstrat on my superstrat, and just see how it sits with me at this point. These pickups are so glorious, I can't see it getting in the way of their versatility.

Right away I started modding the 800 Mod, paradoxically, in front of Factory IR Bank 1, #811, 2x12 Brown Super 57 A, and I am getting this thing to go from raging angry to dirtier clean and beautiful just with the tone knob. For the first time I'm posting my preset in case anyone gives a damn to give it a go.

I feel like a dunce having used EQ to mitigate the harshness for so long, when all I had to do was to recognize that these superstrat guitars are built to be hot. And the other thing is, especially with the Axe FX III, you can make a hot output guitar still get vintage tones. I hope this helps others with my medical condition of playing with vintage blinders on haha.

Edit: I am getting this thing to go from raging angry to dirtier clean and beautiful just with the volume knob on my guitar, not the tone knob.

Last edited:
Another update: I'm now playing around with the Axe-Change, and this has completely changed everything. Now all of a sudden other people's presets are sounding great! This does not make me want to use other people's presets, but it will give me a better vantage point to learn tone tips. :) What a nice ancillary benefit.

I'm definitely curious to see if it reacts weirdly with your guitar or if it actually plays well with it. Thanks for wanting to try it, Man! :)

Wow! I have yet to encounter such a stripped down/bare bones preset in Fractlandia.

Did I do it right? :)

My go to amp model is also the "Mod800" (though on my no. 1 preset I can interchange the #34
and the Brit800 switching Scenes.

Interesting to see how using the same Amp Model we can still get very different results. I use a PEQ block
with a small cut in ther 7Khz range and a small bump around 800hz. Also different IRs in the Cab Block.

Here's mine in the interest of sharing. Thanks! :)

Attachments

• The 800s.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 4
Wow! I have yet to encounter such a stripped down/bare bones preset in Fractlandia.

Did I do it right? :)

My go to amp model is also the "Mod800" (though on my no. 1 preset I can interchange the #34
and the Brit800 switching Scenes.

Interesting to see how using the same Amp Model we can still get very different results. I use a PEQ block
with a small cut in ther 7Khz range and a small bump around 800hz. Also different IRs in the Cab Block.

Here's mine in the interest of sharing. Thanks! :)

Dude, thanks for trying it out! 🙂 Yeah, I'm totally bare bones. I treat the Axe FX III like it's a pile of amps (ready for modding) in a vast hallway of cabinets; that's it haha. I don't give a s**t about effects, other than drives, which I use sparingly. I once read an interview in which Paul Gilbert talked about using just one tone and his volume knob on his guitar for everything he does, and that really stuck with me, in an obsessive kind of way. I go between creating tones like that, where you're meant to use the volume knob(s) on your guitar extensively, to presets with eight different dry tones (usually two amp blocks with a multiplexer and extensive scene controller usage to have a completely gapless preset). I do love hearing players who use effects well, and I think it's awesome to hear what creative things people do, but for me, I just like the raw sounds. I love this very 70s drum ideal of very dry, very in your face, but still warm (not that the preset I posted was particularly warm haha). For that preset, I just modded the speaker impedance, transformer match, negative feedback, and, hell, I can't remember what else.

Now, what you wrote very much reminded me of the guy who saw Mitch Hedberg at the airport and told him he saw him on TV the night before. He acknowledged that he saw him, but he didn't say if he was good or not, so Hedberg turned his head to the side, then back to the guy and said, "I saw you a second ago, and you were good." haha!

But really, how did that preset translate to your guitar and your monitoring system? Please don't hold back if it sounded terrible; it's not a big deal either way, I'm just curious to see if, since all of a sudden others' presets sound good with my guitar now, if vice versa would be the case, if presets I make with my current pickup height would actually sound good on other people's guitars with their monitors. Most people won't care about four block presets, but that's the stuff for me.

And I loved your preset! Tons of character and attitude. I felt like my guitar was just screaming, in the best way. Scene 3 with the stock 800 was hitting me just right, but the purple plexi scenes were just stellar.

It would've helped if I had actually uploaded that preset haha: Enjoy!

Thank you for sharing the preset!
Here is how it sounds with a RG550LTD. Dimarzio Bluesbucker neck, Suhr Aldrich bridge

I've made a variation at Scene 2 (the second take of the recording) with some of my OCD tweaks:
  • Amp Gain Enhancer Out Compression
  • Push some freqs at Output EQ
  • Increase treble (to compensate the CAB tweaks below)
  • Mix IR with a 121 microphone (I am allergic to the SM57 rawness)
  • Add a little bit of Room FullResIR
  • A bit of proximity
  • Added FET Preamp at CAB block

Now I will try @la noise preset :)

Attachments

• Modded 800 Mod Br Spr Rev.2.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 2
I use Bill Lawrence's 'nickels' method for dialing in pickup height. Fret strings at last fret, and adjust the height so the pickup is one nickel's thickness from the treble strings and two nickels' thickness from the bass strings, and start there for fine adjustments....

Not wanting to detail that thread, I'll just place my response in this one: That's a good starting point for sure. I was just using a weirdo method I discovered at the My Les Paul forum; I can't find that post now, but it's essentially to let open strings ring out, and adjust height until those notes decay into a very subtle harmonic. It's like some magical strange thing, but it worked for me. For the person describing that method, they said it was a sweet spot for the pickups to act more lively. I know it felt great to me. Before that I just went by ear, which always led me lower and lower; it just felt good. And lower was fine on fixed bridge guitars with passive pickups for me, like my Epiphone Les Paul and Washburn Trevor Rabin, but with my Schecter Sun Valley Super Shredder maybe it's just something about Floyds that require a higher pickup setting, to cover up bad resonances; or maybe that's only the case with a Floyd if you have a pickguard, just a bad mojo of vibrating in all that damn plastic with a swimming pool route and Floyd; but then Strats should probably sound terrible with that logic, and they don't haha. It may just be my guitar. Like, I know that bad, harsh resonance is still there, but I hear that it's absolutely overpowered now by the fundamental, just by virtue of the massively stronger signal now.

Here is how it sounds with a RG550LTD. Dimarzio Bluesbucker neck, Suhr Aldrich bridge

I've made a variation at Scene 2 (the second take of the recording) with some of my OCD tweaks:
  • A bit of proximity

Man, you did so much with this dinky preset! Thank you so much for looking into it like this! I want to wait until I can listen on a proper system so I can post a thoughtful response.

Not wanting to detail that thread, I'll just place my response in this one: That's a good starting point for sure. I was just using a weirdo method I discovered at the My Les Paul forum; I can't find that post now, but it's essentially to let open strings ring out, and adjust height until those notes decay into a very subtle harmonic. It's like some magical strange thing, but it worked for me. For the person describing that method, they said it was a sweet spot for the pickups to act more lively.

Hmm.... Might have to try that and see.

Hobbes' pickups took a couple fine adjustments to settle in to where I thought they should be, going a bit lower, then back up partway to where they are now.

On Strat style guitars, I adjust the bridge pickup to where it sounds best, then adjust the middle pickup for best 'quack' or 'cluck' when combined with the bridge, then adjust the neck to sound good, and it usually just works....

• A bit of proximity

Oh Man, I love that! Thanks so much for making that recording! I'm curious to know your opinion, but I actually liked the first take better! Maybe it's the 57, but I felt it more present. This is brings up an interesting consideration, that sometimes tones that sound great to listen to don't feel great to play through. But in the end, the only thing that matters is that a tone inspires you to play; of course reamping makes this not an issue at all. I really appreciate that comparison, truly.

Hmm.... Might have to try that and see.

Hobbes' pickups took a couple fine adjustments to settle in to where I thought they should be, going a bit lower, then back up partway to where they are now.

On Strat style guitars, I adjust the bridge pickup to where it sounds best, then adjust the middle pickup for best 'quack' or 'cluck' when combined with the bridge, then adjust the neck to sound good, and it usually just works....

Oh yeah, I don't take stock in anything when it comes to this; that weird harmonic thing was something I just thought was cool, and I feel does work, but, as in everything else with tone, there are no rules, and your ears are all that matter. I'm just glad there are so many great methods to get you there.

A while ago I kept passives pretty high to maximize s/n ratio, because I so often roll off my volume pot, but with my Les Paul, I just found the tone to have more mojo. Maybe it's always such a combination of factors, the pickup, the body, the neck, your tonal palette, your pick attack, etc., that you end up naturally finding different settings optimal based on different criteria over time. I know for me, that's totally the case. Like, I'm shocked that I'm going through factory presets and totally feeling the mojo from them. It's crazy, and very inspiring, and if all it took was to raise my pickups, I'm happy to do that and stick with it, at least on this superstrat. But if I still had that Les Paul I'm not sure I'd go that route.

Oh Man, I love that! Thanks so much for making that recording! I'm curious to know your opinion, but I actually liked the first take better! Maybe it's the 57, but I felt it more present. This is brings up an interesting consideration, that sometimes tones that sound great to listen to don't feel great to play through. But in the end, the only thing that matters is that a tone inspires you to play; of course reamping makes this not an issue at all. I really appreciate that comparison, truly.

The preference may depend on the context. I am monitoring either with Audee LCD-2 headphones, or with Genelec monitors at 1m right in front of my head. That reveals all the rawness at the high frequencies. Your version could be better than mine to fit in the mix of a recording

Last edited:
The preference may depend on the context. I am monitoring either with Audee LCD-2 headphones, or with Genelec monitors at 1m right in front of my head. That reveal all the rawness at the high frequencies. Your version could be better than mine to fit in the mix of a recording

Haha, you have a good point there; I could easily be missing frequencies that you're talking about. If that's true, it could be those frequencies might even make a mix harsh. :)

Update:

I’m still using the Saturday Night Specials, but about a month ago I implemented the wiring I had been wanting:

Two mini toggles for each pickup, a 3-way going into a 2-way, for series / parallel / North coil / South coil, into a dual concentric knob for each pickup wired in 50s Les Paul style, into a 3-way blade pickup selector but with very low cap values in lieu of treble bleeds. I lifted the mini switch part from this person’s fantastic design.

Since there’s not much feedback out there about the Saturday Night Specials when split, I just wanted to say they sound completely awesome split, and to me they’re a perfect option for those who love a Strat neck tone.

Since this axe is a 24 fret guitar, the South coil of the neck pickup, placed closer to the neck, really has that fat, warm, magic Strat neck tone, and the other coil gives more of a tele twang to my mind, since it’s positioned more like a middle pickup. With my 500k pots, I roll the tone knob a great deal back when split to simulate 250k. The versatility is out of this world. I’d love to have a super strat like this with 22 frets for that sweet spot but with great upper fret access, but they seem relatively rare, passé, even.

Last edited:
Latest Wiring:

Two Humbuckers: Awesome Guitars Asymmetric Type A Humbuckers. They're really hot, and in series humbucking mode they make this 24 fret superstrat sound kind of like a Les Paul, in the awesomest, fattest way. The Neck is wired Les Paul 50s style, using a Dual Concentric 500k / 500k pot and .015 tone cap. I have two mini-switches to allow series / parallel / North Coil / South Coil on the neck pickup. I was realizing I like my bridge to sound fat, and to stay fat no matter how I set the volume and tone knobs. I had had the bridge with the same wiring as the neck before, but even in series humbucking mode, if I rolled off the volume and even the tone knob with the 50s wiring, it started sounding like a single-coil, and I just did not to want that at all. At a certain point, I removed any mini switches from the bridge pickup and just wired it for the traditional series humbucking mode only, which I use with a .010 cap. And tonight I switched it from 50s wiring to Modern Les Paul wiring, to keep the sound fat, and to allow it to get way fatter, but still usable with the low value cap, as I roll off the volume. Now it's acting perfectly.

So now It's:

Neck with 50s Les Paul Wiring, plus the ability to switch series / parallel / North Coil / South Coil, .015 tone cap

Bridge with Modern Les Paul Wiring, series humbucking only, .010 cap

And it really sounds great.

For the neck I really love it best split to the outer coil, which makes me now realize I should be playing a 22 fret HS or HSS superstrat. I see Ibanez just debuted a new 22 fret Joe Satriani in all gold at the NAMM show, and that would probably be right up my alley now. But so would the newer Fender Strat with HSS and a Floyd. But right now, with the current wiring, I'm still loving my Schecter Sun Valley Super Shredder Black Limba. The neck really feels incredible with the Wenge they used, the Floyd (the one that came with the guitar, unaltered) acts perfectly, and it just feels like a really comfortable and badass axe. But still, next time it's 22 frets or die!

I'm having an issue with the sustain block making a sympathetic "echo" or "ringing", especially to the note B, played virtually anywhere on the guitar. It happens when I play staccato, to hit the note or chord and abruptly mute. It's a very high-pitched harmonic, and it does occur on other notes too, just most prominently on B. It's not the springs (I have noiseless ones, stuffed with a foamy material, and I tested them by holding them tightly with my left hand while playing the open B staccato, and that did nothing), so I tried again while pinching the sustain block close to where it meets the baseplate tightly with my left hand, and that took care of the sound! I tried wrapping the sustain block with thick rubber bands, but that did not fix it at all. I'm considering a different sustain block, like maybe the Stone Tone, but I'm otherwise at a loss. With this bridge, I wonder if the Stone Tone might just shift the frequency of sympathetic vibration. This trem is something Schecter is calling a Floyd 1500, which I'm guessing is a slightly upgraded Floyd 1000, but I'm not sure. Regardless, maybe just a better trem would be the solution, like a Gotoh 1996T. If anyone's encountered this kind of thing, (@Andy Eagle seems like you might've come across this at some point in your repairs), thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Something occurred to be recently that might fix the pinging sound in my guitar. I found that it is worst when I use my pickup selector, and I had initially thought it was the sustain block, but now I think the offending tone is the pickup selector itself. I can just remove that thing and replace it with a mini three way switch, so I plan to do that when I have two seconds to rub together.

Something occurred to be recently that might fix the pinging sound in my guitar. I found that it is worst when I use my pickup selector, and I had initially thought it was the sustain block, but now I think the offending tone is the pickup selector itself. I can just remove that thing and replace it with a mini three way switch, so I plan to do that when I have two seconds to rub together.

Damn, you've been dealing with this for a year straight now lol

Damn, you've been dealing with this for a year straight now lol

Yeah, it took me this long for the thought to occur to me. I still don’t know if it’ll work. I’ve been drowning in work and prepping to move at the same time, but the moment I can I’m going to install this new noiseless single coil to my neck, replace the blade pickup selector with a 3 way mini toggle, and re-shield the holes.

Back
Top Bottom