NGD - Pickups?

Genghis

Power User
So, I sold some of my old gear and had a little bit extra for this new Shecter Banshee Elite 7 w/Floyd and Sustainiac. It feels great, plays great and I love the Sustainiac. The bridge pickup is just a little bit harsh though, so I'm considering swapping that out. Emailed Bare Knuckle Pickups saying that I want something with tight bottom end, but nice thick lead tones and they recommended the Juggernaut. Thought I'd check in with you guys and see what you think. Looking to keep the Sustainiac and replace the bridge pickup.

Also, I've read that the Juggernaut is a bit of a tall pickup and wanted to see if any of you have one in a similar model guitar and if there were any issues. Thanks!

Shecter1.jpg
Shecter2.jpg

While it's still new, be sure to check the intonation. I bought a new Elite and discovered the bridge was mounted too far from the neck, resulting in flat intonation even with the saddles fully forward. The Floyd cavity is routed by hand and is susceptible to human error. It's a really nice guitar though.

As for pickups, I've long given up on choosing a pickup based on subjective terms. There was a time when all you had to choose from was a small number of models from Dimarzio (Super Distortion, PAF, and Dual Sound) and Duncan. Now there are a million f'ing models.

I found the Duncan Custom Custom works for me, so I stick with it when I want a passive pickup. But it doesn't have a "modern" tone, to use one of the terms I just knocked.

Check Youtube. People have loaded pickup comparisons of popular models using the raw pickup tone as well as amped clips.

Thanks for the tip on intonation. I'll check that closely with the FX8 tuner, but I didn't detect any issues when I was playing it last night.

The one funky thing with the setup is that they had the neck pickup too high; high enough that it was taller than the fretboard by just a hair. Quick tweak with a screwdriver and it was fine though.

I've been reading and listening to some demos and I think the Juggernaut may be what I want for this guitar. Seems to take the best of the Alnico sound and combine it with the best of the Ceramic sound.

I have Bare Knuckle pickups in most of my guitars and I have never regretted following the advice when I've emailed them and asked their advice!

Sorry, I forgot to come back and post, but yeah, I know what you mean Johan. I've mostly talked BKPs with the guy at Axe Palace and his advice has been good.

After watching a lot of YouTube videos and listening to clips and reading reviews, I went ahead and ordered the Juggernauts today. Now the wait begins. :)

You won't be disappointed with the juggs. As you know they're a hybrid between an alnico and ceramic magnet so you get the best of both worlds. Lots of punch n body with all the dynamics you could want from a bridge pup. Grats on the guitar too btw!

Congrats. Was contemplating on that being my next axe, except with 6 strings. Any further comments on the fit/finish? Neck? No store has one locally so any comparison of neck shape and feel versus other guitars?

Also curious of how well the glow in the dark side markers work/last...:cool:

I'm also a big BK pup fan. Have Nailbombs installed in my Ibanez RG7620 and sound great. I'm sure the Juggs will work fine for you and as others have said, plenty of sound tracks/samples out there.

I like the neck on this one, but I think it would be just a little too thin for my taste on a 6. It's maybe a hair thinner than the Warmoth Standard thin, I think, and I go with the '59 round on my Warmoth 6s. I do like a little thinner neck on a 7 though, so this one feels right. Love the compound radius on the fingerboard, pretty much the same as on my Warmoth necks. It has kind of a satin finish on the back so it feels very smooth. I don't like sticky gloss necks.

All-in-all I'm pretty happy with this one. Seems well made. Don't really know how the side markers are yet. I'll have to check it out in the dark and see. I've only had one guitar in my life that the position markers were ever an issue, a cheap Parker where it looked like they had decals instead of inlays. These on the Schecter look like they would be durable, but it's too soon to know for sure.

Yeah, I think the Juggs will be nice. I have BKPs in a few of my guitars. Had Nailbombs in an Agile that I decided to sell. It was the LP style guitar and after playing it for a few months I decided I like Super Strat type guitars better. LOL

Back
Top Bottom