ngd: old wolfgang

sundance_kiddsg

Experienced
came into some unexpected money and thought i'd buy myself a belated birthday present.
had wanted to get a evh wolfgang special but when this came into my sight for less money, i knew the 97 usa peavey was a no brainer when compared the chinese evh.
so here's my new toy:
Peavey_97_zps3gaz4wyu.jpg

thanks for looking

I really love the compound radius neck on the Peavey Wolfgangs. One of the easiest-playing necks around.

thanks guys!
the guitar does play very well... buttery is a good description.
@kg md, the peavey fretboard is a fixed 15" unlike the fender evh wolfgang, which has a compound radius.

i had a chance to give it a thorough once over this weekend and to my dismay noticed that the truss rod wheel was stuck to the rod... when i tried to turn it either ways, i can hear the rod creaking within the neck but the wheel just returns to its original position.

happy ending though.
i soaked the wheel with a few of squirts of penetrant and let it sit for a couple of hours.
glad that that did the trick and i was able to get the wheel off the rod.:encouragement:

am currently going through a van halen phase (again) and decided to get the ax40d. the only thing that held me back was determining if i could replace the bridge with a gotoh.

i had a tough time finding the answer so to help future owners wanting to do a swap, am reporting here that the gotoh ge1996t with the 41mm sustain block is a direct drop-in. i installed a d-tuna and also changed the volume to a tone knob and am now looking for a chrome pickup selector tip to complete the look.
SBMM_AX40D_001_zpstcsoiiso.jpg

the factory string height at the 1st fret was quite high so i brought it down to almost nothing by attaching a 150 grit sandpaper underneath the locking nut and carefully sliding it back and forth in the nut shelf, checking the result regularly.
SBMM_AX40D_002_zpshjv8ddrx.jpg

as i like my action high on the low e and low on the high e, i shimmed the gotoh saddles as follows:
low e string – 3 shims
a string – 2 shims
d string – 1 shim.
the action is now perfect at approximatey 4.5/64” on the low e at the 12 the fret and 2.5/64” on the high e.
SBMM_AX40D_003_zpsetcxpwjt.jpg

SBMM_AX40D_004_zps2seoiuo0.jpg

the gotoh brought the overall action down so i shimmed the neck pocket (2 masking tape thickness) at the end further from the pickup.

hope this is of interest to somebody

[posted the above at the ernie ball forum but the post didn't appear for some reason]

Back
Top Bottom