NGD Number 3 !!!

gigawatt

Experienced
You guys must hate me :p. Hey I'm just replenishing my inventory, 3 months ago I only had one guitar, but then I got my check (divorce), so now it's payback time! $m$ \m/. I don't know how I found this one, must have come up as a suggestion in an eBay listing I was looking at, I received it early yesterday along with NGD Number 2. It was an Epiphone '58 Goth Flying V, now it's a Camo Fubar, Tracker, whatever. I appreciate unique pieces of art done with good ole American blood and sweat from Portage Michigan :). The seller painted this himself, I know how much work that is, so I also know what he didn't do that he said he did. I had asked him if the guitar was silky smooth or are there drips, orange peel or waves in the finish to which he replied: "It's been sanded smooth with 1200 grit wet sand paper." Huh, no it hasn't. He also said he put "5 coats of clear satin lacquer over Rustoleum Camouflage" spray paint. There's about an 80% chance they won't be compatable and the lacquer will wrinkle, I could be wrong, but It doesn't look like there's any lacquer on this guitar, and the finish isn't smooth, nor is it rough, It's like a spray painted surface that hasn't been sanded and buffed.

The good about this guitar is it plays great! Naturally it has a thicker neck than my Jem, Jacksons, ESP KH, but the frets are well broken in and super smooth. It also comes with a Dimarzio "Crunch Lab" ala John Petrucci :D pickup and it sounds awesome! It an 11K pup although it feel like more, I was using headphones so it was hard to hear its dynamics. Its lead tone was fantastic, rhythm was average, like I said I was using headphones, (roommate asleep again). It's an all mahogany body and neck with a rosewood fretboard so I was expecting it to be dark and it prolly would be without the Crunch Lab.

Despite its finish flaws, oh and the fubar'd output jack! I had to pull it out and bend the tip tang back into the right postion, that took all my finger tip strength! but I got that sucker :cool:. It's great looking from a couple feet away, it plays great, and it sounds great, all for $325, not bad :). Ok now for som pics, I post a couple from the listing and then I have some I'll have to do from my phone... :eek:

s-l1600.jpg

Why do people take pic of a guitar half naked? There's no truss rod cover! and as you'll see in the pics I took it's really cool looking.
s-l1600.jpg

Unfortunately it did not come with those knobs, I kinda like them, it came with the original slippery top hat Gibson/Epiphone knobs like these.
images

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Holy cow I thought I lost all the above. My wifi went down before I posted and my laptop shut down! Anyway here are a few pics ;)

Oops, this was supposed to b at the beginning.

Glad it showed up! It has a lot of character. Actually a little jealous of that one. :p:D

Hey thanks ElectricPhase :) Wanna buy it? ;) AAhhh but I already threw the box away, unless SpongeBob and Patrick are still playing with it, (how's that for a sub reference to all the dads over the last 18 years)? I wish it would have been sanded with 1200 grit paper like he said he did but didn't. I know my Army Vet roomate likes it. It's a really nice guitar for just $325, Plays great, sounds great, a little hard to get used to that 24 3/4" scale again and 9-42 strings, it's like picking rubberbands.

I think folks are getting tired of new guitars around here every other day, no-one's responding.:( Well the important one's were the Green Sparkly and the Jem, and the MIJ RR5 is turning out to be a really nice guitar. Got an Indonesian RRXMG coming on Manic Monday ;) And my friend who live an hour away is bringing me my Grover Jackson KV2, wait untill ya see this one, I've had it since 1999, it's that well made. ...and, there's one I posted about previously on sale, but that is the absolute end of it all. I will have no more room for anymore, unless you know of someone who doesn't mind holding on to some for a while. ;)

Hey thanks ElectricPhase :) Wanna buy it? ;)

Heh. I've been on a crazy guitar buying tear lately too. Two LTD Skolnicks (they blow away most Gibsons). An absolutely killer LTD EC-400VF (which is mostly the same guitar before Alex scrawled his name on it). I really don't know why the guy sold it. He actually texted me a day or two later to ask whether I still liked the guitar. While he didn't come out and say it, I'm pretty sure he wanted to buy it back. Most recently a very nice American Special strat...all at criminally low prices. I think if I show up with another guitar, my wife will finally lose it.

Hey thanks ElectricPhase :) Wanna buy it? ;) AAhhh but I already threw the box away, unless SpongeBob and Patrick are still playing with it, (how's that for a sub reference to all the dads over the last 18 years)? I wish it would have been sanded with 1200 grit paper like he said he did but didn't. I know my Army Vet roomate likes it. It's a really nice guitar for just $325, Plays great, sounds great, a little hard to get used to that 24 3/4" scale again and 9-42 strings, it's like picking rubberbands.

I think folks are getting tired of new guitars around here every other day, no-one's responding.:( Well the important one's were the Green Sparkly and the Jem, and the MIJ RR5 is turning out to be a really nice guitar. Got an Indonesian RRXMG coming on Manic Monday ;) And my friend who live an hour away is bringing me my Grover Jackson KV2, wait untill ya see this one, I've had it since 1999, it's that well made. ...and, there's one I posted about previously on sale, but that is the absolute end of it all. I will have no more room for anymore, unless you know of someone who doesn't mind holding on to some for a while. ;)
If you are looking to offload, pm me.

Being a V owner myself I really like that allot!
Although I appreciate the work that's put into a guitar with a "theme" to it (in this case a military type vibe)
Usually not that into them, this one's different! And your choice of knobs is perfect, just rounds out the look.

John

All the killer Jackson's I post on here and this is the one you like? :mad: Screw you guys, I'm goin home :p. Haa just kidding, and thanks for all the nice comments :). I was just browsing eBay and this popped up in another guys listing, almost like spam or something. I liked the price so I started asking questions about it, a lot of questions, to which the seller answered them all. Then auction endgame was here, Saturday, D-day, $$. I waited until the last 20 seconds and put in a bid, then with one second left I put in another bid, nobody was going to snag this baby from ME! Well no one else bid, ruh roh, did I just make a huge mistake, I mean ya gotta wonder when no one else bids right. Then I couldn't get hold of the seller, until he emails me Monday and says it will ship Tuesday, which comes around and still no tracking info. Then a tracking number appears Thursday but it says the package hasn't been brought to USPS for shipping. I don't get any response until Saturday seller claiming he was away on business. Finally I get tracking info on Monday saying it will arrive Friday, the seller is only 160 miles away! A bike messenger could get it here faster, it was a nerve racking experience to say the least, but she's here now, all that matters is she's still alive... I think I'll call her........ GI-Jane ;):p

Ya'll think she's hot wait'll you see the next one I got coming up, she's been with me for 20 years, I just got er dropped off from my friend's house where she's been since last September, she's a real one of a kind knockout! :D

@6L6C

Oh yeah, uh uh that's really nice... I uh, I mean...

Ba Bam!!

image.jpg
She's got push pull pots for series parallel and a 5 way switch baby;
:D:D:D:D:D.
BTW, who's the little guy at the bottom of your picture?? o_O

Last edited:
That is a Oasis case humidifier, have one for every case. With the electrics I only really use them maybe a few months during the winter, when it gets real dry. The acoustics's allot more.

Nice V BTW, keep on top of that gold hardware.
Gold looks great but can be a bitch to maintain.

John

That is a Oasis case humidifier, have one for every case. With the electrics I only really use them maybe a few months during the winter, when it gets real dry. The acoustics's allot more.

Nice V BTW, keep on top of that gold hardware.
Gold looks great but can be a bitch to maintain.

John

You know it's funny you should mention that about the Gold, and thanks btw, yours too! Is that a Gibby? it reminds of a Hamer Vector about 20 years ago. The Gold hardware, boy don't I know it I've gone through my share of pickup rings, but that darn Kahler bridge; I'm really not a fan of it but the gold plating is tough as nails! That guitar is from the 1990's and look at it, no worse for wear. I'm astonished! and I wish I still had that guitar like nobody's business, is was one of my all time favorites, but hard times in 2014 forced me to to sell it, for a mear $800 :(. That pic doesn't do it justice, it's kind of oversaturated. The one I wanted to upload was beyond the 2 Meg limit for pictures. :rolleyes:

Yes it is a Gibson 1982 "The V" it was called. Notice the tail piece is different from a traditional "V".
For a while it was a bit of a tuning nightmare had things worked out through the years, by the way I have owned the guitar since 1986 sounds great though! I really do love it and the feel.
As you can see with the headstock the brake angle for the string is pretty nasty so in the long run I went with a graphite nut and also use as a lubricant every time I change the strings and it stays in tune pretty consistently now.
I know it might seem excessive using a lubricant with a graphite nut but trust me with that head stock and those angles every bit as needed.

Yes it is a Gibson 1982 "The V" it was called. Notice the tail piece is different from a traditional "V".
For a while it was a bit of a tuning nightmare had things worked out through the years, by the way I have owned the guitar since 1986 sounds great though! I really do love it and the feel.
As you can see with the headstock the brake angle for the string is pretty nasty so in the long run I went with a graphite nut and also use as a lubricant every time I change the strings and it stays in tune pretty consistently now.
I know it might seem excessive using a lubricant with a graphite nut but trust me with that head stock and those angles every bit as needed.

Yeah I know what you mean about those angles, early on I had a Gibson V, maybe even the same year, it was black with an ebony fretboard. I put a white Les Paul pickguard on it to give it some "character." It played really nice but it was like a "fretless wonder." Did you install the graphite nut yourself?

Did you install the graphite nut yourself?
No! I leave that to the people who have the practice and skill and will gladly part with my money for that skill.
I can make all the adjustments, truss rod, intonation things like that and all the electronics and even drill out a hole for a pot or toggle switch.
But the nut, frets things like that, I could probably get better at it but in the long run those type of tweaks are not my thing, never get it right. Either leave to much material or take away to much.

No! I leave that to the people who have the practice and skill and will gladly part with my money for that skill.

Oh... Thank you sir, I'm one of those people :D. Nah, I don't have my tool any more (divorce) or the vision!

Yeah I hear ya, nut making is no fun, even for an old machinist / woodworker here. I believe it's the "brains" of your action next to the truss rod, one slip of the nut file or one too many strokes and it's done, you're starting all over. I've made a few and I'd rather build the whole guitar around the nut than make one. Chicago Fretworks isn't too far from me and for $80 they'll do it, they're welcome to it ;)

Back
Top Bottom