NGD? Not Day....maybe weeks or months

Nice! Yes it does, very cool, I'm going for a cross between EVH Frankenstein and a JEM Rootbeer (I've always wanted one of these).
Mine was a literal Frankenstein!

Note the different colored saddles... Built with parts.

The body is an '86 Ibanez RS440, the pickups and switches came from various '87/'88 Ibanez s540 guitars, the neck is from a '90 or '91 S540.

The pickguard was cut with tin snips from a piece of roof flashing material :)

Well, it's done!!! Got her back last night and working out a few minor issues. The neck feels as good or better than the neck on my Charvel. Thanks @Randall d for coaching me through and strongly recommending the roasted maple. I took more pics but there's an ugly yellow tinted light coming from the left hand side that makes the gold look crappy.

About the gold. I was warned not to. At first glance, I was a little put-off by how much the gold 'shines'. But I've since warmed back up to it and it is a beautiful guitar. I had a chance to basically A/B a Pete Thorn Suhr, which is what I spec'd this to be. I couldn't really tell a difference in tone on all 5 positions. The PT guitar had jumbo frets and so does my Charvel. I do miss them, but I quickly adapt to these, which were a size down from the jumbos stainless steels. They are about the same size as the Les Paul. Not a biggie.

I'll post "Better" pics once I get some work done and figure out some better lighting. The yellow tint and the gold makes it look cheesier than it is. But it's an elegant looking/playing guitar. Also, my Silverburst looks awesome imo....lol.

3Amigos.jpg

So as good as a Suhr, without the fugly as f*** Suhr headstock? You came out on top, my friend. :sunglasses:
I wish I had an oven big enough so I could roast my own maple necks. But then again, there's so much tools I'd love to have. A good belt sander, a radius router rig, a CNC router. a painting booth, so much small specialized tools.

We should really have a dedicated guitar building thread. I wanted to start one, had quite some text written, including helpful links, and I lost it in a Windows restart.

I'm not usually one for gold hardware, but man... that things looks niiiiice. Well done, she's a beauty!

I literally have moments where I love all the gold and moments where I'm like ...eeehhhh too much! One thing I'm considering, and this would be after some time, is to remove the pickup covers to tone down the bling. Sometimes I feel like the character in the old movie "I'm Gonna Get You Sucka" who OG'd........"overgolded". You'd have to see the move to get it...lol.

I guess there's also a settling in period because day one it wouldn't stay in tune. Day 2 I tweaked some stuff, got the string height to where I prefer it, which is sort of high. And then it played awesome and stayed in tune etc.. This morning, Day 5, I wake up and something is off. Like the 1st high E string is somehow lower than the rest. It appears that way when I look at the Floyd's saddles. But I'm not sure if the saddle moved or if the neck is adjusting. I'm gonna do some Floyd Rose researching and see if there is an easy way to raise the saddle. Also, it could be the neck settling. The adjustment is very easy because the Warmoth modern necks adjust with an allen wrench on the side. Unfortunately, I don't know squat about getting the neck adjustment right. But I'm sure that info is available on YT and elsewhere. It's just weird that overnight something went out of whack.

So as good as a Suhr, without the fugly as f*** Suhr headstock? You came out on top, my friend. :sunglasses:
I wish I had an oven big enough so I could roast my own maple necks. But then again, there's so much tools I'd love to have. A good belt sander, a radius router rig, a CNC router. a painting booth, so much small specialized tools.

We should really have a dedicated guitar building thread. I wanted to start one, had quite some text written, including helpful links, and I lost it in a Windows restart.

I gotta tell you the roasted maple neck really is smooth and beautiful. And I agree about the headstock. For some reason it has to have the traditional fender look for me.

If feels as good the Suhr at the shop when we were AB-ing and I put all the features that the PT guitar has in this. The one thing the stood out was the PT had jumbo's and this one doesn't. I like jumbos but these feel fine to me and probably are 'faster'.

Well.....that was easy enough. First neck adjustment attempted and problem solved. Slight turn of an allen wrench and problem solved.

Well, I have to thank you and curse you.....
You gave me the itch and I just purchased all my parts to build a Tele Deluxe from Warmoth.
I was really wanting one of the friedman vintage T's, but I just can't bring myself to spend that much on a guitar, so I decided to build one as close to spec as I could through Warmoth. All parts have been ordered with the exception of the pickups and pots.
When it gets a little closer to the finish line I will end up ordering up some Friedman pickups, Classic+ and Classic.

Ugh, it's gonna be a long wait though because they are backed up from the covid closure.
So I am most likely looking at 3 or so months before it's done and shipped.

Well, I have to thank you and curse you.....
You gave me the itch and I just purchased all my parts to build a Tele Deluxe from Warmoth.
I was really wanting one of the friedman vintage T's, but I just can't bring myself to spend that much on a guitar, so I decided to build one as close to spec as I could through Warmoth. All parts have been ordered with the exception of the pickups and pots.
When it gets a little closer to the finish line I will end up ordering up some Friedman pickups, Classic+ and Classic.

Ugh, it's gonna be a long wait though because they are backed up from the covid closure.
So I am most likely looking at 3 or so months before it's done and shipped.

I ordered around May 20th. The Parts were shipped June 26th. I bought an in stock body and in stock neck, but they routed the body to fit the specified hardware configuration and shelved the neck for the floyd rose nut. It seemed like forever but looking back it was really reasonable, considering the C19 bug.

The only issue I've had or have is that I have to make a neck adjustment almost daily. And since I ordered the modern neck the adjustment is as easy as tuning the guitar. I'm in Houston, so we're experiencing 100 degree heat and humidity outside. I'm sure that factors in but I also think maybe the neck has to settle (just my theory). But it's so easy to do I'm really not complaining.

I ordered around May 20th. The Parts were shipped June 26th. I bought an in stock body and in stock neck, but they routed the body to fit the specified hardware configuration and shelved the neck for the floyd rose nut. It seemed like forever but looking back it was really reasonable, considering the C19 bug.

The only issue I've had or have is that I have to make a neck adjustment almost daily. And since I ordered the modern neck the adjustment is as easy as tuning the guitar. I'm in Houston, so we're experiencing 100 degree heat and humidity outside. I'm sure that factors in but I also think maybe the neck has to settle (just my theory). But it's so easy to do I'm really not complaining.
Yeah I ended up ordering a custom body and an in stock neck so my wait time may be a little longer, although they did says they weren't nearly as backed up on body orders as they were neck orders since the bulk of their sales are necks. Still have a couple of odds and ends to pick up but i figure i have some time before i need to get em.
I ended up going with a vintage modern neck, so headstock adjustment at he nut end. Once I get mine all built i will throw it up here.

Man I gotta tell ya this wait is killing me. I have no patience as it is, especially not when it comes to buying gear.
I ordered back on July 10th so I am probably looking at at least another 2 to 4 weeks before my body and neck ship. Obviously I am hoping I am wrong, but I keep telling myself 4 weeks just so I don't drive myself completely nuts.
Although this bin sitting next to me with all of the parts I need to build the guitar isn't helping one bit! lol

Back
Top Bottom