NGD? Not Day....maybe weeks or months

Yeah, that's true. You never really know how it will work out until its finished. Still, holding that guitar that you've built is a special feeling. It may not be the best, but it is yours. Kinda like a guitar that's been with you for decades and seen the rigors of the road and has the scars to prove it. Not like them fakers, those 'reliced' guitars with their fake scars. You will be a lot more forgiving of a guitar you've built yourself then you would of a guitar you picked up in a store.
Uh, yeah, see attached, weird lighting and all :)

Built this a long time ago, redid the wiring maybe 3 years ago.
76 electrically unique pickup combinations, all nominally humbucking.
Mighty Mite body, Kubicki neck I found sitting on a shelf in the back room at pro sound place in Boston, 3 vintage Dimarzio PAFs.
Was my only electric for a long time, until I got an itch for a strat and got an EJ last year.

homemade guitar.jpg

Down side to warmoth, and I've built 2 in the past, is you could buy I really nice name brand for the price, and if you do ever want to sell, you lose your ass. But product they make is great quality.

Down side to warmoth, and I've built 2 in the past, is you could buy I really nice name brand for the price, and if you do ever want to sell, you lose your ass. But product they make is great quality.

Agreed. But I figure this one is ‘mine’. Like my RG550 that was my first ‘top line’ guitar I bought in ‘87. I couldn’t get but maybe$200 for it but it means more to me than all of my other name brands. And this one I get to do exactly what I want (on paper that is). I don’t know what I could but that checks all the bells for me for $1500. My Charvel USA select was that guitar...hopeful fora limited time. Those guitars simply feel and sound great. But only with a treble bleed. :p

Agreed. But I figure this one is ‘mine’. Like my RG550 that was my first ‘top line’ guitar I bought in ‘87. I couldn’t get but maybe$200 for it but it means more to me than all of my other name brands. And this one I get to do exactly what I want (on paper that is). I don’t know what I could but that checks all the bells for me for $1500. My Charvel USA select was that guitar...hopeful fora limited time. Those guitars simply feel and sound great. But only with a treble bleed. :p
Don't get me wrong, it was a fun process, and i kept both of mine for a very long time and enjoyed them. Made my mistakes in my build, which if i did it again today i would know better, Like not getting a neck that required it to be removed in order to adjust the truss rod. ARG!!!!
Like I said there stuff is excellent quality, and when all was said and done I had great playing sounding, and feeling guitars. Good luck with your build!

Don't get me wrong, it was a fun process, and i kept both of mine for a very long time and enjoyed them. Made my mistakes in my build, which if i did it again today i would know better, Like not getting a neck that required it to be removed in order to adjust the truss rod. ARG!!!!
Like I said there stuff is excellent quality, and when all was said and done I had great playing sounding, and feeling guitars. Good luck with your build!
Did you get the modern neck? It's the double rod neck with the adjustment on the side of the heel. Supposed to be real stable and it sounded better to my ears on youtube than vintage.

There will be something or another that I'll get wrong. I expect it. I bought a 5 way blade, which I will probably replace with the 5way needed for the Suhr Pete Thorn wiring. Also, going with a chambered body has me nervous. My Les Paul is chambered. It sounds great plugged in and loud. But something irks me when I play it acoustically. It feels like a dead spot around a certain note or frequency but I'm more inclined to believe its a dead spot in the neck. Amplified to any semi loud level and it sounds great.

Did you get the modern neck? It's the double rod neck with the adjustment on the side of the heel. Supposed to be real stable and it sounded better to my ears on youtube than vintage.

There will be something or another that I'll get wrong. I expect it. I bought a 5 way blade, which I will probably replace with the 5way needed for the Suhr Pete Thorn wiring. Also, going with a chambered body has me nervous. My Les Paul is chambered. It sounds great plugged in and loud. But something irks me when I play it acoustically. It feels like a dead spot around a certain note or frequency but I'm more inclined to believe its a dead spot in the neck. Amplified to any semi loud level and it sounds great.
Not sure which neck i had at the moment, it was a while ago, i'de have to look on the site to see.

I have a 2006 Les Paul Standard Faded that is chambered and it sounds great, so i'm sure it will sound nice.

Not sure which neck i had at the moment, it was a while ago, i'de have to look on the site to see.

I have a 2006 Les Paul Standard Faded that is chambered and it sounds great, so i'm sure it will sound nice.
Mine's a 2007 Silver Burst. What pickup combo do you have? Mine's a Classic 57plus & Classic 57. I don't like it as much maybe because I prefer a F style. But I've been recording it this afternoon along with the guitar with the new pickup. I gotta say that Les Paul may sound the best out of all of them in a mix.

This thread has inspired me to put together a project guitar. I had some extra pickups, tuners and other parts laying around. It is going to be a cross between Eddie's Frankenstein and Stevie Vai's Jem Root Beer. I'll post some pics once the body and neck arrive.

Mine's a 2007 Silver Burst. What pickup combo do you have? Mine's a Classic 57plus & Classic 57. I don't like it as much maybe because I prefer a F style. But I've been recording it this afternoon along with the guitar with the new pickup. I gotta say that Les Paul may sound the best out of all of them in a mix.
Sorry I just saw this. I actually have a set of suhr Aldrich in mine. They really sound great. It originally had burst buckers in it but they weren't doing it for me.

Parts arrived today!!! Only 2 days shipping time but Warmoth is behind a few weeks on all orders. The body looked the exact same in the photo and is gorgeous. I ordered a Super 5 way from StewMac since the guy at Suhr says it's the same as what they use on the Pete Thorn guitar. Also, got that mandatory treble bleed :cool:. If I don't jive with the lower output Thornbucker, I may get an Aldrich for the bridge. That way the gold pickup covers will match.

I'll take it to the local guy tomorrow and let him get to work. I'm sure I can put it together but there might be a part or two left over.

Parts arrived today!!! Only 2 days shipping time but Warmoth is behind a few weeks on all orders. The body looked the exact same in the photo and is gorgeous. I ordered a Super 5 way from StewMac since the guy at Suhr says it's the same as what they use on the Pete Thorn guitar. Also, got that mandatory treble bleed :cool:. If I don't jive with the lower output Thornbucker, I may get an Aldrich for the bridge. That way the gold pickup covers will match.

I'll take it to the local guy tomorrow and let him get to work. I'm sure I can put it together but there might be a part or two left over.

Still would have done it for less. :tonguewink:

Looks nice. Especially the black smudges, although I reckon installing the locking nut will be much fun that's not. Judging by the small pic I suspect you might have to make a shim for underneath part of the locking nut. Had to do that on one of my guitars as well.

Thanks, the wood was burnt, stained and burnt again, in person it looks even better. I'm going to block the Floyd so I'm not going to have the nut installed; although, I am installing locking tuners.

Thanks, the wood was burnt, stained and burnt again, in person it looks even better. I'm going to block the Floyd so I'm not going to have the nut installed; although, I am installing locking tuners.

Nice! Can you tell me how you did the burning? As for the Floyd, if you're not going to use it wouldn't it be better to have used a hardtail bridge? For sustain and stuff? Or is it just pure looks?

Nice! Can you tell me how you did the burning? As for the Floyd, if you're not going to use it wouldn't it be better to have used a hardtail bridge? For sustain and stuff? Or is it just pure looks?

I bought the body off of Reverb but they burned the raw body, sanded, stained, burned it again, sanded and put on a satin top coat. It looks a lot better in person. It's Hawaiian candle wood and super light; reminds me of basswood. I've got ~$500 in parts. Yes, the Floyd is purely for looks. I really like the look of the original, non-fine tuner Floyds; however, with the locking nut installed, it would be a PIA.

Back
Top Bottom