NGD? Not Day....maybe weeks or months

Bman

Power User
It's my first Warmoth build. I have no idea what I'm doing, so I'll probably have the dude at the repair shop I prefer put it together for $200. Thanks to @Randall d for babysitting me through this. He's done about 7 builds. I think I have the same specs as the Pete Thorn Signature Suhr. Chambered Mahogany, with maple cap and Thornbuckers. But I got the Floyd instead of the Wilkenson. Hopefully my repair guy can follow the same switching as Thorn's. I went gold with the hardware and pickup covers.Screen Shot 2020-05-20 at 8.02.06 AM.png

$200? I would have done it for you for $150. :tonguewink: I've built 13 guitars and bass guitars, including a Floyd, and I'm working on four more, including a Floyd.

Does it have routing for the pickups. trem and electronics?

$200? I would have done it for you for $150. :tonguewink: I've built 13 guitars and bass guitars, including a Floyd, and I'm working on four more, including a Floyd.

Does it have routing for the pickups. trem and electronics?

Yep. Having Warmoth rout it for me. Just assembling, soldering and wiring the superblade.

I love Warmoths. I gots three of them, one has gone to my son.
The last one I assembled from parts in the buy now store. The neck is unfinished Indian Rosewood with a wide Ebony fretboard (R3 nut).
With the Kinman Woodstock set, it plays and sounds like a dream.
Warmoth Stratocaster Blackburst.jpg
The first two, I assembled in '94. Since then I changed the pickups on the Strat to a Kinman Woodstock Plus set. The neck was a beautiful birdseye maple and has been rock steady. This one went to my son.
Warmoth Strat - 1.jpg
The soloist model had one flaw. It came with a 24 frets neck (gorgeous birdseye maple) but the body was routed for a 22 fret neck. So I had to cut off one fret. Since then, I changed the pickups to a SD '78 a Quarter Pounder for the middle and a Sustainiac. As with the Strat, it's been rock solid and the necks hardly need any adjustment.
Warmoth Soloist - 1.jpg

Last edited:
Wow!!! All of those are beautiful.

edit: Had to look again. Man those are awesome. I’m excited!! They really have beautiful options and it’s hard to find anything bad said about them

Last edited:
Can I ask roughly what the Warmouth parts of it cost? Did you get the neck from them too?
Here’s a screenshot of my Cart. It’s actually more than this because I went with a modern neck because they would pre-rout the neck shelf and screw holes for the Floyd. Plus Warmoth has some YouTube videos about their three neck types and the vintage modern and modern clearly had more resonance or mojo happening. I bought the Thornbukers from Humbuckers.com. And am corresponding with Suhr to see if I can get the exact super blade directly from them. I have the wiring specs (John asks that you buy Suhr humbuckers and ask him directly...he quickly responded).

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/attachments/warmoth-build-pt-jpg.67553/1590150716860.jpeg

Did you add the routing for the trem and knobs and so on?
never mind.... it was already answered :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I love the idea, and there are some gorgeous Warmouth-based guitars out there. But even though I've been playing a really long time, I still don't think I can tell if I'll like a guitar without playing it and hearing it. It's less money than a high-end pre-made guitar, but still a lot for an experiment, to me anyway.

I love the idea, and there are some gorgeous Warmouth-based guitars out there. But even though I've been playing a really long time, I still don't think I can tell if I'll like a guitar without playing it and hearing it. It's less money than a high-end pre-made guitar, but still a lot for an experiment, to me anyway.

Yeah, that's true. You never really know how it will work out until its finished. Still, holding that guitar that you've built is a special feeling. It may not be the best, but it is yours. Kinda like a guitar that's been with you for decades and seen the rigors of the road and has the scars to prove it. Not like them fakers, those 'reliced' guitars with their fake scars. You will be a lot more forgiving of a guitar you've built yourself then you would of a guitar you picked up in a store.

The easy thing is, you can basically 'build' your cart a billion times over. And believe me I did. I probably drove @Randall d nuts with the questions I had but he was a good sport and a tremendous resource. I went from a HSS config and then settled on the H/H config after watching about 6 videos of the Pete Thorn Signature guitar. The most important thing I wanted was the ability to go from mean to clean w/ the volume knob. My Charvel is a HSS and has/had a Super Distortion (today a JB) and a very low output neck single (6.5K) and I dialed in my preset so that I can flip the switch to the neck, roll back the guitar volume and I'm in Hendrix clean territory. That's easily done with footswitching. But it's more dynamic and fun for me the way I'm set up.

So the Sure Thorn guitar is wired so the 1st position or neck position on the 5 way switch is the neck humbucker, coil tapped to a single, which greatly reduces the output gets me to my goal. So I tried to match the Suhr specs that I found on their webpage with the Warmoth build. I opted for roasted maple with a Pau Ferro fretboard with a little nudging from Randall d. I would have chosen rosewood but since the body I ordered is chambered I felt I would need a little more 'snap' from the neck. The Pau Ferro was in-between rosewood and Ebony. The one common thing I heard about the chambered guitars is some of the 'response' gets a little lost in the resonance, or at least that was my take away from what I researched.

Should be fun, and hopefully when it's said and done I have a $3000 guitar that I spec'd for $1500. One thing is sure...it's going to be pretty.

Doe the Suhr Thorn sig have a chambered body?
Are you doing the treble bleed on the volume control?

Yes, the Suhr Thron is chambered. I don't know if the Suhr has a treble bleed but I'm definitely planning on installing one. I use one from StewMac that is like the Andy Timmons one. I've never had any luck with any of the guitars I own where the guitar cleans up without muddying unless one is installed. I've swapped pots in a couple of them and the treble bleed is the only thing that works for me.

Back
Top Bottom