NGD - my first Suhr!

Yes, love to hear what you think of the Suhr... it's one of the guitars that I always wanted to check out, but never had one near... Congrats !

I know what you mean. I bought three in the last two years and I'm already contemplating what my next Suhr will be (torn between another modern or a classic T).
I would love a Modern T!

Assuming this one lives up to my expectations I think that's next on my list :)

I have a Suhr Modern. I find it VERY bright sounding compared to my other guitars (Ibanez pointy guitars, PRS CU24, Fenders, Gibson LPs (one with Thornbuckers), etc). The vol/tone/cap values seem pretty standard and I typically run the volume control at max so the treble bleed isn't the cause. I even tried swapping the original SSH+/SSH pickups for an Aldrich set.

The brightness is extreme enough that I feel the need to customize patches for the Modern.

Anybody else find their Suhr Modern really bright?

I have a Suhr Modern. I find it VERY bright sounding compared to my other guitars (Ibanez pointy guitars, PRS CU24, Fenders, Gibson LPs (one with Thornbuckers), etc). The vol/tone/cap values seem pretty standard and I typically run the volume control at max so the treble bleed isn't the cause. I even tried swapping the original SSH+/SSH pickups for an Aldrich set.

The brightness is extreme enough that I feel the need to customize patches for the Modern.

Anybody else find their Suhr Modern really bright?

I have two Moderns. One is an HSH (SSV, V60LP, SSH+) with the Gotoh 510 bridge, basswood body / maple top, roasted maple neck and finger board. That guitar is very bright and percussive. Even acoustically it just has a snappy character to the tone. The other one is an HH (SSV, SSH+) with the Gotoh Floyd Rose bridge, basswood body / maple top, maple neck / finger board. It is much more mellow and round in tonality both acoustically and through an amp. They are both strung with the same brand and gauge of strings too. I think the bridge is the main contributing factor to the differences. Both are really great guitars and just when I think one is my favorite I'll pick up the other one and then I'll be undecided again.

Beautiful guitar! Don't be too hasty in changing out the neck pickup- give the Thornbuckers an honest shot- I've got a Thornbucker neck and Thornbucker + bridge in my Tweedy SG, and it's a great neck pickup- a lot more clarity and note definition than many other neck hum buckers. Just sayin'- before you start planning out mods, you might really enjoy it.

Beautiful guitar! Don't be too hasty in changing out the neck pickup- give the Thornbuckers an honest shot- I've got a Thornbucker neck and Thornbucker + bridge in my Tweedy SG, and it's a great neck pickup- a lot more clarity and note definition than many other neck hum buckers. Just sayin'- before you start planning out mods, you might really enjoy it.
For sure... I'd probably go for parallel vs split option before wholesale swap out anyway

I have the Suhr Thornbucker+ and the Suhr Aldrich. I have a personal preference for the Aldrich, as it has a nice and round touch at the mid frequencies. I would say that the Thornbuckers are flatter than the Aldriches. I've tried to replicate the differences with PEQ, but it is not exactly the same.

It’s Friday night... did it arrive? Waiting for pics! Also, agree with the parallel/split idea first. I like the parallel neck position on my RG. Gives you a different option than your single coil neck positions.

Ok... It arrived.

I'll try to take a few pics tomorrow but they will undoubtedly suck because I have no skillz :)

As expected, it is quite stunning.

One pic I did take of my fingers after about 2 hours of playing:

7323033E-8E69-4447-9144-7AD2B088403C.jpeg

So far I'm very happy... But I need to take off the 10s and put on my normal 9 set.

The guitar strings are obviously old as evidenced by my dirty fingers in that pic.

I was very pleasantly surprised by the Thornbuckers. As it turns out the bridge is actually a Thornbucker+.

I think I could actually get by with the bridge pickup for my clean tones and I've never felt that way about any other guitar/pickup.

It's nice and warm sounding on either bridge or neck positions. The description above from @Piing is fitting - they seem very even.

The middle pickup is very different sounding from the other two pickups... Maybe too different - not sure yet.

I'm not really a fan so far of the split sounds. They have an odd character to the high end that I'm not really digging and the volume drop is pretty apparent.

The neck is very nice but I do wish it was a bit thinner... I'm so used to Wizard necks (although I really like my DK-24 "speed neck").

The Gotoh trem seems very solid.

Overall the fit and finish is as you would expect for the money. I did find one very small spot in the grain of the back where you can see the grain filler...

I think I'll keep it!

Ok... It arrived.

I'll try to take a few pics tomorrow but they will undoubtedly suck because I have no skillz :)

As expected, it is quite stunning.

One pic I did take of my fingers after about 2 hours of playing:

View attachment 64405

So far I'm very happy... But I need to take off the 10s and put on my normal 9 set.

The guitar strings are obviously old as evidenced by my dirty fingers in that pic.

I was very pleasantly surprised by the Thornbuckers. As it turns out the bridge is actually a Thornbucker+.

I think I could actually get by with the bridge pickup for my clean tones and I've never felt that way about any other guitar/pickup.

It's nice and warm sounding on either bridge or neck positions. The description above from @Piing is fitting - they seem very even.

The middle pickup is very different sounding from the other two pickups... Maybe too different - not sure yet.

I'm not really a fan so far of the split sounds. They have an odd character to the high end that I'm not really digging and the volume drop is pretty apparent.

The neck is very nice but I do wish it was a bit thinner... I'm so used to Wizard necks (although I really like my DK-24 "speed neck").

The Gotoh trem seems very solid.

Overall the fit and finish is as you would expect for the money. I did find one very small spot in the grain of the back where you can see the grain filler...

I think I'll keep it!
HMU if you need a 4p5t circuit to do the auto parallel in the N+M position. It can be made to defer to the setting of a s/p switch in the other selector positions....

Back
Top Bottom