NGD - Incoming Schecter NV-3-24-AL

unix-guy

Master of RTFM
On my nightly perusal of Reverb I saw this listing for a (MIJ) Schecter NV-3-24-AL.

I have been interested in the Schecter Japan line as they share a lineage with Tom Anderson guitars seem to be nice instruments and I like the specs and visuals.

I wasn't familiar the specific model but on searching I found this one was priced about 1/3rd of the typical listing and was already in the US. It does have a finish chip on the back but that doesn't concern me.

I churned for maybe 30 minutes and ultimately just decided for the price I couldn't pass.

Here's a screen shot from the listing. I will post more after I've gotten it and had some play time.
107527E9-7177-42D0-A6C7-148192191AB8.jpeg

@Piing - I saw you posted a query on TGP about these guitars a few years ago...

Finally found the specs here with the basics at least in English:

https://schecter.co.jp/schecterjapan/467/

Interesting that it has laminated quilt maple on top of a maple cap on top of alder body.

And some interesting "translations":

BODY BACK: Alder

You can enjoy the loose, sticky and thick sound of Alder wood.

SCHECTER MONSTER TONE J & SUPER ROCK J

It is a state-of-the-art pickup of SCHECTER JAPAN planning and development, characterized by a sharp rise with a wide range and edge. It reacts sensitively to fine picking nuances, making it possible to express a more expressive sound.

SCHECTER LOCKING TREMOLO

Adopted by Gotoh, which has a high reputation. Improve originality while maintaining accuracy, durability, sound, operability, etc. We fully support everything from fine vibrato to hard ups and downs. THE PLATES HAVE THE SCHECTER LOGO.

Super-Adjusting System

The troublesome adjustment of the rod can be done without removing the neck, so you can always play in the best neck condition with less effort.

Coil Split Switch (Tap)

It is possible to tap coils regardless of single or hambacker.

Together with Split Tone Control, you can create a variety of sound variations.

Split Tone Control

In addition to the normal Hi-Cut, it is a passive circuit system that acts as a Low-Cut with the tone knob pulled up. It enables natural and versatile tone arrangements without relying on batteries.

ULTLA ACCESS 4 BOLT

It is a newly developed original heel cut that further evolved the conventional ANGLE 4 BOLT. We promise smoother fingering in a higher position. We support the construction without touching technical use of 24 frets.

Last edited:
wow thats gorgeous. In the past I wasn't a schecter fan given their older aesthetics but over the years been quite interested in their lineup. Some really nice guitars and seem to be building quite a reputation.

wow thats gorgeous. In the past I wasn't a schecter fan given their older aesthetics but over the years been quite interested in their lineup. Some really nice guitars and seem to be building quite a reputation.
I tend to agree... Although the MIJ and some USA models have been there like this model for quite a long time, apparently. But not very well known.

Congratulations for the purchase! It looks great. I hope it feels and plays like a TA.

I had one under my radar, but I finally did pass and instead bought the Suhr Modern Satin, which I have already sold because it had a dead note and I missed a FloydRose. Maybe I should have bought that Schecter instead of the Suhr 😅

I watched an interview with Tom Anderson just yesterday. The current company known as Schecter has essentially no connection to Dave Schecter for whom Tom worked. Schecter guitars is most closely related to ESP guitars (they are owned by the same investor).

Pretty top!
Those look like Anderson pick ups (H series), which I'm a huge fan of.
(I know the specs say they're Schecter pick ups, but wondering if they are a clone, which would be awesome)

I watched an interview with Tom Anderson just yesterday. The current company known as Schecter has essentially no connection to Dave Schecter for whom Tom worked. Schecter guitars is most closely related to ESP guitars (they are owned by the same investor).
Makes sense although you can clearly see the shared visual elements...

Makes sense although you can clearly see the shared visual elements...
I agree that it does look like a TAG drop top. Hopefully it plays like one as well.

I like the direction that they've been taking their lineup in the last two or so years. I remember my first encounter with a Schecter almost 20 years ago and it was not good. I tried a diamond series guitar (C-1 I think?) at GC and it felt like it was made out of plastic. That experience really turned me off to the brand.

I agree that it does look like a TAG drop top. Hopefully it plays like one as well.

I like the direction that they've been taking their lineup in the last two or so years. I remember my first encounter with a Schecter almost 20 years ago and it was not good. I tried a diamond series guitar (C-1 I think?) at GC and it felt like it was made out of plastic. That experience really turned me off to the brand.
I agree and a similar comment was made by @Chewie5150 above.

I think it's probably exposure to the various "budget" lines found in GC and elsewhere.

I had this many years ago. Came with the original Schecter pickups like yours have, traded them for some EMG's.
They don't play or sound like a Tom Anderson (Had a lot of those)
But they are really good guitars for the money😀

Attachments

• 2387EAC6-7B2B-4C35-9D01-2A97A022A347.jpeg
    2387EAC6-7B2B-4C35-9D01-2A97A022A347.jpeg
    646.1 KB · Views: 16
Saves money. Figured maple is expensive. I don't know if they're meaning veneer instead of laminate. Laminate means that it's not made out of wood.
Exactly what I was thinking... And I suspect it's a veneer.

Gluing a piece of wood onto another is also "laminating", so probably what they mean.

The guitar arrived earlier today and didn't have much time for more than a quick visual inspection.

I just tuned it up and spent 30 minutes playing it... It needs new strings and some minor setup adjustment for my personal preferences, but I dig it.

And for $400 including an SKB hard case and $50 shipping, I'm very happy. :)

I need to play more with the switching options but lots of usable tones.

The only thing a bit surprising is the frets are on the smaller side. I would expect medium jumbo or jumbo on a typical guitar like this.

Also, I'm not sure why but the guitar transfers noise to the pickups. Switching the pickups or the mini toggle make fairly audible mechanical sounds and while noodling with the nut locks unlocked they were very audible thru my FM9.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom