NGD - Ibanez MSM1

I still have the original volume pot, but I disconnected the treble bleed day1. I will eventually put in a CTS I guess, the stock Alpha is too linear for me.
in the middle position have you got both humbuckers or the inner coils split?
I have never been able to find a situation/tone where I use both humbuckers in series.. but never say never

Added some pictures in the first post!

Brief review after "a lot" of playing in the past 2 months
(I know that this is just a "premium" Ibanez and it's discontinued... but maybe it can be useful for someone!)

Neck:
That's a 5 piece wenge/bubinga really raw but magically smooth!
It's not the common thin wizard neither the AZ thick one.. it sits in the middle (I assume more in the Charvel ballpark)
The radius is 305mm (12") and with the added SS frets it's very comfortable.

Bridge:
SynchroniZR tremolo w/ ZPS FX stabilizer paired with Gotoh MG-T locking tuners and Graph Tech Black TUSQ.
My first time with this bridge... quite impressed with the performance.
It stays in tune well and the maintenance is easy and fast

Pickups and controls:
Classical DiMarzio ToneZone + Air Norton with a 3 way toggle.
Love that combination! Full of dynamics and possibilities playing with the volume and that inner coils central position split is awesome!
The controls layout is really comfortable (for my playing style of course), it's a pity that is not quite common

Overall:
I'm really happy with this guitar!
It's comfortable, reliable, resonant, light, stable...
Even if I wish it was a Prestige one... I've been lucky enough to find a real keeper.

What other guitars are thinking
My other Prestige's are little bit jealous that I'm spending so much time with her.. they didn't see that coming!
They were all standing there gossiping about how asian and only premium she was 🤦‍♂️

It's quite common for people to get whole wiring looms from so called up market brands that contain the same and in some cases worse quality parts than they are replacing . Obsidian wiring kits ( for instance )for Les Pauls have a very nasty switch and solder less wiring is generally a bad idea.

We’ve talked about solderless in the past, I’ve used Obsidian, Mad Hatter and EMG and I’ve had different experiences with them all. The Obsidian I got was straight junk, it took me 3 hours to get the damn wires in the jacks and I was getting shorts/cutting out all over the place after. I yanked it out and threw it away. Mad Hatter stuff was the opposite experience, took me 15 minutes from start to finish to replace my JEM’s guts, including removing the original guts. All CTS pots and just holding them in your hands you can visually see how good of a job the guy did putting them together. I’ve done 4 installs so far and every single one without an issue. EMG….well, they need to sell switches with their pickup kits because that caused me a headache and a half, but once I had a proper switch it was really easy and I don’t see the wires coming off the pins unless the guitar fell from a building.

We’ve talked about solderless in the past, I’ve used Obsidian, Mad Hatter and EMG and I’ve had different experiences with them all. The Obsidian I got was straight junk, it took me 3 hours to get the damn wires in the jacks and I was getting shorts/cutting out all over the place after. I yanked it out and threw it away. Mad Hatter stuff was the opposite experience, took me 15 minutes from start to finish to replace my JEM’s guts, including removing the original guts. All CTS pots and just holding them in your hands you can visually see how good of a job the guy did putting them together. I’ve done 4 installs so far and every single one without an issue. EMG….well, they need to sell switches with their pickup kits because that caused me a headache and a half, but once I had a proper switch it was really easy and I don’t see the wires coming off the pins unless the guitar fell from a building.

Good to know about the Obsidian stuff.
Never did the solderless thing....

Back
Top Bottom