NGD. Gibson Les Paul Axcess Lifeson. HISS!!!

boltrecords

Fractal Fanatic
rereqy6u.jpg
zyqudevy.jpg
e7uduvas.jpg

My awesome fiancé just bought me a new Les Paul lifeson model. It looks and plays amazing. Really a well built guitar. Piezo sounds great. Guitar is nice and heavy.
The only thing that is bugging me is that is noisier than my other les Pauls. Probably due to electronics running through the piezo preamp or something. But I get this low level hiss noise. Not a huge deal but not something that should be on a 4500 dollar guitar.

Anyone else have this issue?

Beautiful guitar- I love mine! I haven't noticed the hiss issue you are referring to, but mine is a very early one S/N 57, and they made some changes to the circuit after mine. The change is supposed to fix a problem, but I don't seem to have it so never sent it to be "fixed".

i have an axcess, should be the same pickups. They are very hot on mine and a bit sizzly, unless they are split. extra noise gate for sure. i thought it was a ground issue at first, but no, its grounded well.

Are you getting the hiss through the piezo output or the magnetic pickup output? If it's the piezo output then try changing the battery. If it's the magnetic pickup output then that is strange. Normally the type of noise one might get on a LP would be a ground him or some kind of typical grounding buzz. Never hiss.

Congrats Man !! I have number 018.
It had the pot changed for the leak ( factory recall ) What you need to do is get the Piezo removed from the Mag circuit. ( unless blend is important to you ) there are 2 jacks, easily done.
If you don't......... And your 9V batt gets weak.......your magnetic tone goes to shit.

I have two Axcess's as well, except for the 498/496 PUPS being the same, it is a different guitar. ( non chambered, and ghost ech trem, which is far superior to a FR.

Are you getting the hiss through the piezo output or the magnetic pickup output? If it's the piezo output then try changing the battery. If it's the magnetic pickup output then that is strange. Normally the type of noise one might get on a LP would be a ground him or some kind of typical grounding buzz. Never hiss.

I'm noticing the noise on the magnetics on higher gain settings. Specifically on amps that have the bright setting on. That really seems to make the hiss worse.

I had this same problem when I installed the ghost system in my trad pro Lp. When I ran the ghost system the recommended way and put the magnetics through the piezo preamp, I was getting increased noise. As soon as I kept the two pickup systems separate the extra noise was gone.

I would have expected that Gibson would have not run magnetics through an active preamp. Especially on a guitar this expensive. That really seems to have a big effect on the noise level

Congrats Man !! I have number 018.
It had the pot changed for the leak ( factory recall ) What you need to do is get the Piezo removed from the Mag circuit. ( unless blend is important to you ) there are 2 jacks, easily done.
If you don't......... And your 9V batt gets weak.......your magnetic tone goes to shit.

I have two Axcess's as well, except for the 498/496 PUPS being the same, it is a different guitar. ( non chambered, and ghost ech trem, which is far superior to a FR.

That's what I thought was the case. I utilize both jacks. So therefore I should still be able to remove the piezo from the mags and still blend the two by using both separate jacks. Correct?

Edit: when I say blend I mean run both piezo and mags at the same time by using the axe fx. I can run mags to instrument input and life o sound jack to the out 2 Right and keep the two separate.

Exactly, that wil work

The Piezo ( mine anyway was quieter than Mags ) So I contacted Ghostech and bought their very latest Board. Inexpensive ....$45 or so. Not sure what rev. You may have. The tremolo is world class. The saddles re what make the difference IMO.
Mine is Crimson as well ;)

I'm not sure how to separate those circuits. Does gibson offer a schematic or should I just have a pro do it? I can't see it being that difficult.

I would send it to a PRO. And make sure that it is reversible. I have the schematic if you need it, somewhere here.
Not sure on the battery drain if left plugged in......I would think so.

It's the graphtech ghost system Floyd
I'm not sure if its a certain version
Amazing Floyd though. Very smooth

Also, does the 9volt get drained if I leave the cable plugged in?
Yes, the battery definitely drains when plugged in. That is an annoyance for sure, I like to just leave a wireless transmitter plugged in all the time, and I go through about 1 9v battery a month.

It's the graphtech ghost system Floyd
I'm not sure if its a certain version
Amazing Floyd though. Very smooth

The trem body style and fine tunners look like a Pro. It must be a custom deal with gibson and Floyd, check the string spacing if it's 52mm (2.056") most likely, it's based on a Floyd Pro.

It's NOT an FR.
As posted, GRAPHTECH, with graphite saddles, and Piezo. They are not the same.
I changed my block to a Big block from Reviers company. Best floating Tremolo I have ever played. The fine tuners are silk smooth. Not like German POS FR.

I own one and its dead quiet as long as I make use of the noise gate.

Mine sounds absolutely incredible.

Here is my Gibson tribute which includes my Alex lifeson on the top right not to mention my new Tom Scholz Les Paul!

I own one and its dead quiet as long as I make use of the noise gate.

Mine sounds absolutely incredible.

Here is my Gibson tribute which includes my Alex lifeson on the top right not to mention my new Tom Scholz Les Paul!

All my other les Pauls are dead quiet even without a noise gate. The piezo circuit definitely effects the noise levels with this guitar

Back
Top Bottom