NGD - Fretless!

Rook

Power User
So I have had an idea in my head for quite some time that I wanted to try a fretless guitar, and I just took the plunge and bought one.

photo.jpg

Very reasonable price from Kurt at Rondo music, and excellent service (again). Freight to Australia wasn't cheap, but what ya gonna do?

The guitar itself is very pretty. It will obviously take a little time to get used to, but it actually wasn't as hard to play as I had imagined. As Guthrie Govan said, "Don't think about it too much, and use your ears". Probably helps that I play a little bit of fretless bass. I will probably put heavier strings on in a few days, I'm thinking flatwounds.

I seem to remember Bodde played a bit of fretless guitar... anyone else on this forum?

nomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnom

Nice looking axe! I think you'll have great fun with it. Surprisingly it doesn't take all that long to get used to a fretless board. They are the best practice booster ever also!

Here's a video I did on my fretless vigier. Such fun!

Also, a hint! I highly recommend using Elixir strings. The coating makes them slide better than other strings, and as they don't build up dirt much it allows for slightly lower action.

Have fun!

Last edited:
Ahhh....I want one now.
It was cheap, and oh so much fun. def needs heavier strings and it struggles with sustain just a little bit. I think it might need a sustaniac :)

It will be a while before I am up to antcarrier's level (very nice playing) but it isn't as much of a difficult transition as I thought it would be.

So I have had an idea in my head for quite some time that I wanted to try a fretless guitar, and I just took the plunge and bought one.

Congratulations! this looks like it could be a lot of fun, especially having to approach familiar territory from a new perspective.

Weird question... if I find an el-cheapo pawn shop guitar to sacrifice, how practical would it be to remove the frets and fill in the lines, like Jaco did with his bass back in the day?

Would this work or does the fretboard need to be shaped a certain way for this to work?

Back
Top Bottom