NGD: Finally got myself a tube amp! Need tone help with Axe-fx

If I'm defaulting the amps and resetting system parameters then why would I have been having so many issues with multiple power amps but as soon as I plug a tube amp into the same cab (in this case a Marshall 1960 with v30's) which sounded thin and lifeless on just about every amp sim, sounds amazing with the Triple Rec. What the heck am I doing wrong?

How are you plugging the AxeFX into the TR? Is that via Output 1 of the AXE-FX into the Mesa FX loop return, or do you run into the input on the front of the amp
What channel is the amp on?

How are you plugging the AxeFX into the TR? Is that via Output 1 of the AXE-FX into the Mesa FX loop return, or do you run into the input on the front of the amp
What channel is the amp on?

You should plug into the loop return for best results. This bypasses the Mesa's preamp

Thanks for chiming in fellas... I'm going back and forth with the Triple Rec and then shutting it down and plugging in the Axe-fx/Solid State Power amp into the same cab. As I mentioned previously, I've had a similar sound through several different power amps.

There are other differences besides EQ and impedance.

A studio monitor is designed to produce sound from a single apparent location. Guitar cabs also radiate sound from the baffle, the sides and the back. This creates multiple wavefronts that interact with each other and that vary with your listening position. Even the distance between your ears can mean that your left ear hears something different from what your right ear hears, resulting in a kind of 3-D perception on the sound. This is further complicated by the fact that a single cab can have multiple speakers, each radiating a different wavefront.

Also, monitor speakers are designed to be pistonic—to move strictly in and out—for the sake of accuracy. The cones of guitar speakers can "break up," with ripples and standing waves in the cone itself, giving an even more complex and textured sound.

That said, I find FRFR very satisfying to play against, and I rarely use traditional cabs.

That's exactly what i meant.

I said it myself that there are more things to a cab than the impedance curve and the EQing.
The mechanical part is accomplished my my speakers, which are flat, yet not studio monitors.

Sorry for the delayed response... my kids have been sick for almost a week and since Wednesday afternoon I've been sicker than a dog. I'm still sick! But when I heard that Cliff dropped the new beta I had to check it out.

With regards to the frequency, I believe it defaults to around 109 and the palm mutes jump at around 154 on my Mesa 4x12 but not in a good way, going the opposite direction it sounds as if it is loosing some of it's low end. I went ahead and just kept it at default.

I was excited to read that Cliff updated the power amp modeling and the Recto1/Recto2. I went to preset 384 and added only the amp sim on Recto1 Orange Vintage, diming the highs on the amp sim sounds a bit brighter than diming the highs on the triple rec. The low end just doesn't have the same depth, as if the triple rec sounds a bit more open, like the lows start further back within the speaker cab than the Axe-fx. I'm not sure if it sounds better than before but it was much closer than I remember.

From the first day (a few weeks ago) when Fractal sent me my XL+ I gave up on trying to run it 4CM numerous times, tried 3 different amps. A fender tube amp, marshal tube amp, and a solid state marshal micro stack. I've only been able to get good workable tones by running it directly out the rear output 1 L/R unbalanced to 2 studio monitors and the sound is so much better. Was instantly workable! Thinking about getting an FRFR cab and cranking that thing!

Thanks for chiming in Bill... I've actually had my eye on a pair of Seismic 15 inch coaxial speakers but I just spent some good cash on some Mesa Boogie gear so it may have to wait until I can sell something. Just don't know what!

So I spent some time with the Recto Orange Vintage model today comparing it to the actual amp. Sounded the same... at first. Then I tuned down as low as my guitar would allow and noticed a lack of low end. Did some measurements and, sure enough, below 80 Hz or so the amp had more bass. Never noticed it before because I don't tune down to drop Qb or whatever you crazy kids use.

Went over the model with a fine-toothed comb and found a missing capacitor in the feedback network. Put that cap in and viola' [sic], bass is now there.

latest

So I spent some time with the Recto Orange Vintage model today comparing it to the actual amp. Sounded the same... at first. Then I tuned down as low as my guitar would allow and noticed a lack of low end. Did some measurements and, sure enough, below 80 Hz or so the amp had more bass. Never noticed it before because I don't tune down to drop Qb or whatever you crazy kids use.

Went over the model with a fine-toothed comb and found a missing capacitor in the feedback network. Put that cap in and viola' [sic], bass is now there.
HOLY MOLY! Was not expecting this! Thanks a bunch Cliff... Oh man I'm crazy excited now!

Yes we do tune down to Qb. ;-)

One more question, will this also translate to the Orange Modern Channel as well? Just started using it at last night's practice. Much more aggressive. Thanks again Cliff!

So what's the best way to pull this bass back out, for those of us who specifically love that the model isn't a flubby wubster? :p

Back
Top Bottom