NGD EVH Wolfgang

GlennO

Axe-Master
EVH Wolfgang Special. I wanted a guitar with a factory installed D Tuna. I’ve retrofitted them before but it works best with a body that is designed to accommodate it. The body size is unusual and will take getting used to but this plays like a dream.

C57FEA9E-7AD8-456D-91CA-DCBEF71698DA.jpeg

Looks slick. You'll probably have lots of fun with that one.

As a non-EVH guy, when did he move away from his Frankenstrat to this model? And does anyone know why? It seems like a really huge stylistic change in guitars. Did he finally desire a working neck pickup or something?

He went to Music Man around 1990 for the first Wolfgang, then switched to Peavey a few years later, and most recently Fender. As for why, I'm sure between 1980 and 1990, his ideas about what makes the ideal guitar changed. He was an inveterate tinkerer, but I'm sure even he realized the advantages of having the world's best luthiers making that ideal guitar for him.

Last edited:
The Musicman is not a Wolfgang and differs quite a bit than those that came after it, most noticeably in the neck which was a digital scan of Frankie. These days asymmetric necks are common, but that was the first one I remember on a new guitar. I’ve always preferred the MM EVH because of the neck, but there are many who find it too narrow for their liking.

The MM/EVH era has some soap opera like elements to it, which is unfortunate. I wonder how it would have evolved had he stayed with MM like Petrucci did.

How is the upper fret access on those? It's weird how long those have existed (since the MM days) and I've never played one. I like getting my thumb around a neck and wonder if the offset horns affect that much. I guess if it worked for Eddie, It should work for a amateur like me.

The upper fret access is excellent. They really did a good job of designing that heel. The Wolfgang has a lot of nice subtle touches like that and the graphite neck reinforcement.

EVH Wolfgang Special. I wanted a guitar with a factory installed D Tuna. I’ve retrofitted them before but it works best with a body that is designed to accommodate it. The body size is unusual and will take getting used to but this plays like a dream.

View attachment 75745
These things are, for me, just the best. The neck profile is perfect - it's narrower than some but the rolled edges so dam comfortable. The shorter overall length just makes it easier to play.
I have had 2 MIMs and now have a USA (Stealth) similar to above. The difference to get the USA is substantial but I'd do it again any day! I bought the first one 2nd hand on eBay with no better reason other than it was different to anything else I had. Few days later I couldn't put it down and still haven't. Love the tone too. Major fan. I don't really listen to EVH much but appreciate the talent of course but hell he designed a beast of a guitar.
Enjoy.

How is the upper fret access on those? It's weird how long those have existed (since the MM days) and I've never played one. I like getting my thumb around a neck and wonder if the offset horns affect that much. I guess if it worked for Eddie, It should work for a amateur like me.
Try one - very reasonably priced 2nd hand - the biggest guitar shock that ever happened to me! Eddie knows best... :)

I have a Wolfgang Special on order and am looking forward to checking it out. Glad to hear you like yours.

Since Eddies death, they’ve become hard to find,, new or used. New ones have a long waiting list and used ones sell for more than new!
Well there's a sensibly priced unmarked Stealth Special available in the UK - PM me if you are interested!

The Musicman is not a Wolfgang and differs quite a bit than those that came after it, most noticeably in the neck which was a digital scan of Frankie. These days asymmetric necks are common, but that was the first one I remember on a new guitar. I’ve always preferred the MM EVH because of the neck, but there are many who find it too narrow for their liking.

The MM/EVH era has some soap opera like elements to it, which is unfortunate. I wonder how it would have evolved had he stayed with MM like Petrucci did.

I think you meant a digital scan of his 5150 guitar neck.

Back
Top Bottom