NGD day... Sort of

unix-guy

Master of RTFM
Well, today my Christmas present(s) showed up: a box full of parts from GFS to do a nice Tele build.

This Ocean Blue pearloid body looks really nice. The pic is good, but in person looks even better:

image.jpeg

But as I was ogling the front, my 9 year old daughter says, "Daddy, there's a big scratch on the back!".

So, I turn it over to see this:

image.jpeg

And this:

image.jpeg

Scratch? Nope... Big, fat crack! Damn...

Needless to say I'm I am not too happy about this :(:mad:

I've initiated contact with GFS and we will see how they reply. The stuff was extremely well packed and no sign of any damages or other shipping abuse.

I'm pretty sure this was cracked when shipped.

EDIT: pardon my doubling of "D" and "day" in the subject... Duh!

Oh man, that sucks! Sorry you have to deal with that. I know it must have been a really terrible feeling to see a new guitar body come in like that! Looks like the wood was not dried/set right before putting a finish on it and as it dried some more, it split. Hope they resolve this issue for you quickly.

Good news... They've already shipped me a replacement and told me I can keep the damaged one, too. Maybe I'll make a fancy clock or small table out of it...

They said they QA check the bodies before shipping... Not sure how this was missed, but at a new one is on the way.

Heck, build a relic version of your good one or route it out and put a Floyd on it.

If it is cracked all the way through then I would try and fully break it and glue it back together with wood glue and clamps - yes it will have the crack in the paint but the cosmetics will be the only thing wrong with it, and as stated above it could be a "relic". Actually you could probably save the front by slightly bending the crack open and injecting glue - could use very thin cyanoacrylate (Superglue) as it will flow in and fill the crack. Should be an easy fix.

If it is cracked all the way through then I would try and fully break it and glue it back together with wood glue and clamps - yes it will have the crack in the paint but the cosmetics will be the only thing wrong with it, and as stated above it could be a "relic". Actually you could probably save the front by slightly bending the crack open and injecting glue - could use very thin cyanoacrylate (Superglue) as it will flow in and fill the crack. Should be an easy fix.

Yeah... I was thinking about trying to flex it a bit and then inject some glue and clamp it flat.

The top is celluloid, so I think that rules out trying to break it all the way.

Your experience mirrors many of my own. And like yours , they usually all turn out fine , but it sure blows when your initial excitement quickly turns into anxiety.
Glad to hear I'm not alone. Lol
Just as glad to hear they are going to take care of it , AND you don't have to deal with a return ! Bonus.

Your experience mirrors many of my own. And like yours , they usually all turn out fine , but it sure blows when your initial excitement quickly turns into anxiety.
Glad to hear I'm not alone. Lol
Just as glad to hear they are going to take care of it , AND you don't have to deal with a return ! Bonus.

Happy to help! :D

Back
Top Bottom