NGD Charvel

Yes my DK24 has jumbos, around .055 tall, .110 wide. The Govan MJ frets were about .060-.063 tall, but .110 wide. I don't think you would like the frets on that Goven MJ.
The wire is Jescar stainless 57110 so 0.057 high before dressing. Have you measured it that tall??? No fret wire in stainless is taller than 0.058 from any of the manufacturers today. It is possible to go slightly out of speck but not that much and not after dressing. Are you sure that you not just used to 6100 that has had a fair bit lost off the top in the factory and assumed that is 0.055. Most 6100 is down quite a bit in a production guitar.

Regarding the pot . It is a bourns low friction 500k audio taper (actually the EVH pot in the prototype) BUT it is tweaked to the upper half of the travel to work better with gain and for violin efx. It's far from linear. The pickups are a Korean made version with the exact same parts and they are in Guthrie's guitar too. I think it's a great guitar and for what it does not overpriced.

The wire is Jescar stainless 57110 so 0.057 high before dressing. Have you measured it that tall??? No fret wire in stainless is taller than 0.058 from any of the manufacturers today. It is possible to go slightly out of speck but not that much and not after dressing. Are you sure that you not just used to 6100 that has had a fair bit lost off the top in the factory and assumed that is 0.055. Most 6100 is down quite a bit in a production guitar.
I measured it in several different spots on the fretboard and it was consistently over .060. At first I thought it might be 6000, but it's not that wide, width measurements were consistent with 6100. My DK24 and DK22 both measure around .055, and the neck profile on the GG was identical to my DKs, so I figured the taller frets were making it feel different. I was hoping for a neck profile similar to the USA models. Maybe I need a new micrometer....

EDIT: Nope, new micrometer measures about .062-.063 in multiple spots on neck. Guess they are taller....The jumbos on my Suhr Modern are about .057.

Last edited:
I returrned the guitar to Sweetwater for various reasons. It has the linear taper volume pot(instead of a normal audio taper), it has frets that are taller than jumbos(like super jumbos, but not as wide), it's a San Dimas model but it has the dinky neck profile(identical to my DK24), and it came with a flimsy, cheap gig bag instead of a case. Other than that, it's a nice, overpriced guitar.....
How can a near $4000 guitar (CAD) not come with a case? is it just me that thinks that wrong? idk i'm becoming more disenchanted with this model not from the feature set but the price tag for what it is. I suppose the premium is being a sig model.

How can a near $4000 guitar (CAD) not come with a case? is it just me that thinks that wrong? idk i'm becoming more disenchanted with this model not from the feature set but the price tag for what it is. I suppose the premium is being a sig model.
The sweetwater description states "hardshell case", but it's actually a soft case, like a semi-stiff gig bag. I was expecting something more like a Charvel SKB case with TSA latches.

Bummer about the return, maybe sweetwater could've addressed the volume pot issue? I should be receiving my MIJ GG sig sometime next week and im actually glad the neck is similar to the dk24 since i loved that neck. I dont mind the soft shell case since i feel hardshell cases are really bulky, i plan on getting a mono soft case for the GG.

Bummer about the return, maybe sweetwater could've addressed the volume pot issue? I should be receiving my MIJ GG sig sometime next week and im actually glad the neck is similar to the dk24 since i loved that neck. I dont mind the soft shell case since i feel hardshell cases are really bulky, i plan on getting a mono soft case for the GG.
I didn't realize it was a special "tweaked" EVH pot until Andy Eagle mentioned it in a previous post.

I'm giving it another shot as Wildwood guitars gave me a good deal on one with a thicker neck and setup to my specs. They actually post the neck thickness specs in their description and measured the fretwire upon request(my micrometer was giving me incorrect readings, I guess). I asked Sweetwater to measure the neck thickness but never got a reply.

I like my DK24 "C" neck profile, just wish it was thicker like the old 2008 Charvel Pro mods. And I prefer the San Dimas strat body to smaller DK dinky bodies.

I'll probably get a Charvel SKB hardshell case for this one. The soft case is okay for storage, but not traveling. Hope you get a good one....

Last edited:
I'll probably get a Charvel SKB hardshell case for this one. The soft case is okay for storage, but not traveling. Hope you get a good one....
Unless you care about it saying Charvel on the case you can buy the standard case for less, I think.

I have both and the only visible difference I can see aside from the branding is that the handle is placed slightly different.

Unless you care about it saying Charvel on the case you can buy the standard case for less, I think.

I have both and the only visible difference I can see aside from the branding is that the handle is placed slightly different.
The Charvel logo on the SKB case is just embossed, not printed. At least, on the soft case they print it in white.

Looks like all the SKB cases with TSA latches are all about $200 (or higher). It is a $2800 guitar, tho...

The Charvel logo on the SKB case is just embossed, not printed. At least, on the soft case they print it in white.

Looks like all the SKB cases with TSA latches are all about $200 (or higher). It is a $2800 guitar, tho...
I have several of the SKB cases and one of the Charvel cases that came with my US DK-24...

I paid less than $150 for each of the SKB cases. Looks like prices have gone up!

I see 2 Charvel SKB cases for $199 on Reverb, so I guess no real savings.

I have several of the SKB cases and one of the Charvel cases that came with my US DK-24...

I paid less than $150 for each of the SKB cases. Looks like prices have gone up!

I see 2 Charvel SKB cases for $199 on Reverb, so I guess no real savings.
I saved about $200 buying from Wildwood because they didn't charge me sales tax (weird) and gave me a $150 discount on price, so I can afford it.

If everything checks out on it, they'll be my new #1 online guitar shop.....I've heard nothing but good things about them.

I didn't realize it was a special "tweaked" EVH pot until Andy Eagle mentioned it in a previous post.

I'm giving it another shot as Wildwood guitars gave me a good deal on one with a thicker neck and setup to my specs. They actually post the neck thickness specs in their description and measured the fretwire upon request(my micrometer was giving me incorrect readings, I guess). I asked Sweetwater to measure the neck thickness but never got a reply.

I like my DK24 "C" neck profile, just wish it was thicker like the old 2008 Charvel Pro mods. And I prefer the San Dimas strat body to smaller DK dinky bodies.

I really hope this new one works out for you. I think only the USA model has the EVH pots, according to this video the MIJ model has alpha pots

Back
Top Bottom