NGD Charvel

sandmannn69

Experienced
Just got this fine specimen in from Sweetwater yesterday. Plays very nice with the typical Charvel neck (I'm pretty sure the frets are super jumbo-they're huge). Pickups sound great in all positions, the single coil simulation is fine, but not very stratty-no hum, though. The finish is emaculate and so smooth, you can't play it sitting down without a strap-it'll slide right off your knee. Tuning is very stable even with vigorous use of the whammy bar.

Only thing that I don't like is the linear taper on the volume pot. It's like an on-off switch/no roll-off from 10 to 6-7. Is this the new/modern thing?
My new Ibanez AZ had the same thing, which I promptly changed to an audio taper pot. I'm a little leery about doing it to this GG, but it drives me nuts
when I want to clean up an overdriven amp....

EDIT: The volume pot is an audio taper. The treble bleed circuit attached to the pot was affecting the rolloff, removed the treble bleed and rolloff is normal.

01.jpg

Last edited:
great guitar!
how do you compare the neck to the Ibanez AZ?
It's quite a bit slimmer. Identical to the Charvel DK24/DK22, maybe with a bit more shoulder-or maybe it's just the huge frets....

My AZ is about 0.82" thick at the 1st fret, this one is about 0.77". But the AZ has a narrower strat nut(1.65").

Just got this fine specimen in from Sweetwater yesterday. Plays very nice with the typical Charvel neck (I'm pretty sure the frets are super jumbo-they're huge). Pickups sound great in all positions, the single coil simulation is fine, but not very stratty-no hum, though. The finish is emaculate and so smooth, you can't play it sitting down without a strap-it'll slide right off your knee. Tuning is very stable even with vigorous use of the whammy bar.

Only thing that I don't like is the linear taper on the volume pot. It's like an on-off switch/no roll-off from 10 to 6-7. Is this the new/modern thing?
My new Ibanez AZ had the same thing, which I promptly changed to an audio taper pot. I'm a little leery about doing it to this GG, but it drives me nuts
I added a treble bleed to my Charvel. That totally helped clean it up. I'm surprised Charvel doesn't do this anyway.

Congrats!! I wanted one of these so bad this last year but could never try one out locally. I'm still keeping an eye out for one. When you say huge frets are they like railroad tracks or pretty comfortable to slide up and down the neck?

great guitar!
how do you compare the neck to the Ibanez AZ?
It is slightly thinner. The Mj models of the GG have more of the Sk24 Speed Neck while the US models are slightly rounder. The AZ sits in between the two. All three are great. The MJ has the prestige fret treatment like the AZ so it might feel more familiar is that is what you are used to.

Congrats!! I wanted one of these so bad this last year but could never try one out locally. I'm still keeping an eye out for one. When you say huge frets are they like railroad tracks or pretty comfortable to slide up and down the neck?
They are jumbo stainless. You feel them for sure but the neck is one of the best I have ever played.

View attachment 114773
Congrats - your guitar looks great and like it means business.

They are taller than jumbos, but the same width. Kind of like super jumbos (Dunlop 6000), but not as wide. The thin DK24 profile neck probably makes them feel bigger.
reason I was curious is my Pro-mod DK24 MiM has jumbos (not sure exact size) and they feel a bit like railroad tracks. It's not a major deal breaker just takes me a bit to adjust

I ordered this guitar back in October, just got it last night! Congrats to us both, I LOVE it so far!

View attachment 114773
In addition to the difference in taper, impedance loading can cause that when the pot is mismatched to the pickups.

View attachment 114773

I almost bought one like it, but not exactly. It is the Guthrie Govan signature model? Holy Smoke!!!!!!

View attachment 114773

Holy Smoke! Good to hear the trem is awesome and stable tuning.

Back
Top Bottom