NGD: Charvel USA Select DK24 HSS Autumn Glow

I know that "value" is subjective. Would you personally think the new USA model is worth the higher price of admission to the MIM you have (or had)? (I had a similar MIM Charvel and thought it was a really good guitar for the money).

I know that "value" is subjective. Would you personally think the new USA model is worth the higher price of admission to the MIM you have (or had)? (I had a similar MIM Charvel and thought it was a really good guitar for the money).
From a pure playability perspective, no. Not that the USA is not worth it but rather the the MIM is a really, really good guitar for the money.

The feel is nearly identical... The sound is close, though I do feel the USA sounds better... But the MIM is no slouch. I'm sure there's some contribution to that from the big brass trem block and the body wood quality and maple top.

The pickups are identical as is the wiring.

If you don't care about a fancy finish the MIM is a good choice. Even if you updated the tuners to staggered and added a brass block you would add maybe $200 to the cost. And honestly, I really dig the flat Shell Pink on mine.

Do the USA and MIM have the same DK24 model number? How would a person shop for the MIM version?
Probably just search for "Charvel DK-24"... The vast majority are MIM. You can filter on price because the USA's are list $3799 and there's really none that are available used (on Reverb).

The USA are almost exclusively HSS although the guy I bought mine from posted an HH model a week after I got mine - wasn't aware they made them that way.

The MIM offers HSS, HSH and SSS models but certain configs come in specific colors.

https://www.charvel.com/gear/shape/dk

I'm also curious about the So-Cal Style 2, which is a Tele shape with many similar features but only in HH configs (both fixed and trem bridges).

https://www.charvel.com/gear/shape/so-cal/style-2?sort=new

Been struggling with some tuning stability and finally got around to putting on the Wilkinson locking saddles today.

Took the bridge off and was surprised to find both knife edges had burrs in them :<

Fortunately, it seems a little careful sanding has cleared it up for the most part. I'll see after get more play time, but I really hope it did.

Probably just search for "Charvel DK-24"... The vast majority are MIM. You can filter on price because the USA's are list $3799 and there's really none that are available used (on Reverb).

The USA are almost exclusively HSS although the guy I bought mine from posted an HH model a week after I got mine - wasn't aware they made them that way.

The MIM offers HSS, HSH and SSS models but certain configs come in specific colors.

https://www.charvel.com/gear/shape/dk

I'm also curious about the So-Cal Style 2, which is a Tele shape with many similar features but only in HH configs (both fixed and trem bridges).

https://www.charvel.com/gear/shape/so-cal/style-2?sort=new

I have a DK-24 MIM with the HSH config and snagged a So-Cal Style 2 with the reverse headstock
and it was way below the expectations set by the DK-24. Totally did not get on with the Fishman
pickups and the quality was a bit off the mark of what I have come to expect from Fender era Charvels.

It went back. :(

What pickup come w/ it? My Charvel USA came with the Dimarzio's (Super D in bridge). I swapped it for a JB and am now thinking of swapping out the JB for a hot PAF style. I like the Thornbucker plus I have in another guitar. I do like the JB but I think there's more character in the lower output Thornbucker. The Super Distortion was kinda bland to my ears. Also the guitar is made of Alder and it's a full sounding guitar. I love my Charvel. I'm looking at the specs on yours on the Charvel site. I haven't heard anything about the SD Full Shred (SH-10B). I also like the EVH Bourns pots and was thinking about swapping one in mine. That's a beautiful guitar.

What pickup come w/ it? My Charvel USA came with the Dimarzio's (Super D in bridge). I swapped it for a JB and am now thinking of swapping out the JB for a hot PAF style. I like the Thornbucker plus I have in another guitar. I do like the JB but I think there's more character in the lower output Thornbucker. The Super Distortion was kinda bland to my ears. Also the guitar is made of Alder and it's a full sounding guitar. I love my Charvel. I'm looking at the specs on yours on the Charvel site. I haven't heard anything about the SD Full Shred (SH-10B). I also like the EVH Bourns pots and was thinking about swapping one in mine. That's a beautiful guitar.
Yeah, it's the stock SDs that come with it. I like them... The single coils are really good.

I've considered putting a Thornbucker+ in the bridge. I may try that on my MIM first to see how it works. I have them in my Suhr Modern HSH and I'm pretty happy with them.

Try a Duncan Custom. I have one in my Rhoads and it works great in that guitar. IIRC I think it's alder wings on the maple through neck on it.

I snatched one of these some days ago - incredible guitar! It plays sooo well, and the colour is stunning in person. Weirdly it even smells kinda good. I also really like the SD Full Shred so far.

Back
Top Bottom