NGD: Charvel USA Select DK24 HSS Autumn Glow

unix-guy

Master of RTFM
Finally arrived this evening! I need to put my preferred (lighter) gauge strings on it and do some setup after that, but after playing it for an hour I'm very happy!

Feel overall is very much like my MIM DK24 HSS although I feel like the USA model has a slightly thicker neck closer to the nut, although still very similar.

Excellent quality construction and fit and finish.

I think I'll keep it!

CB562D59-C3C3-4B2B-9914-2A1397D50857.jpegAE0A9EE7-5CD0-4515-9B12-BF66A13384AC.jpegFF4D290A-3FAE-4556-BAAA-7367DA83C0C2.jpeg

That is stunning!! Congrats! Love to hear your thoughts on the difference between the 2 once you have had enough time with it. I strongly suspect you won't be needing to remove the string tree on this one! :D

Finally arrived this evening! I need to put my preferred (lighter) gauge strings on it and do some setup after that, but after playing it for an hour I'm very happy!

Feel overall is very much like my MIM DK24 HSS although I feel like the USA model has a slightly thicker neck closer to the nut, although still very similar.

Excellent quality construction and fit and finish.

I think I'll keep it!

View attachment 82621View attachment 82622View attachment 82623
That's a beauty! Nice flame on the neck, too.

Congrats, nice looking axe!

How's the tuning stability?
Well... It seemed ok but last night it would not stay in tune.

Similar issues to the MIM as in my old thread about that :(

I just ordered Wilkinson locking saddles...

One thing I changed when I got it and put my favorite strings on is that it has 2 springs in a V and I usually use 3, so I added the (included) 3rd and adjusted everything.

I honestly can't tell a difference in feel so I might go back to 2.

I also plan to check and lube the knife edges...

One thing I changed when I got it and put my favorite strings on is that it has 2 springs in a V and I usually use 3, so I added the (included) 3rd and adjusted everything.

:(

That must be frustrating for you (it is for me for you!). Does it have staggered machine heads on it already? I see there is only 1 string tree.

I noticed my DK24's neck would creak every now and then (only slightly), so I checked the neck screws and found they were a tiny bit loose. I also lubed up all the string contact points at the same time, and it feels better now but not perfect. So I don't know if it was the lube or neck screws that improved things for me - maybe worth checking on your new one.

That said, I'm still going to get the staggered heads and stick them on.

I ended up buying a 2nd JP15 from Willcutt. When I got it, tuning stability was fantastic even after changing to 9's and resetting some things. I noticed something with it though - the tuning machines were set TIGHT. On my first string change with it I decided to loosen the tension on them. That was a mistake as stability wasn't nearly as good. Reset the tuning machines with tighter tension and stability was back. I think Willcutt knew something....

I have the Mexi and it is absolutely the worst guitar I recall ever trying to tune.
Once it is in tune it is not too bad, but getting it there after temp/humidity fluctuations
is a nightmare!!

:(

That must be frustrating for you (it is for me for you!). Does it have staggered machine heads on it already? I see there is only 1 string tree.

I noticed my DK24's neck would creak every now and then (only slightly), so I checked the neck screws and found they were a tiny bit loose. I also lubed up all the string contact points at the same time, and it feels better now but not perfect. So I don't know if it was the lube or neck screws that improved things for me - maybe worth checking on your new one.

That said, I'm still going to get the staggered heads and stick them on.
It is... But since the MIM is now very stable, I have high hopes to get this one there, too.

It does have staggered Sperzel tuners from the factory. And only the 1 string tree.

I did check the trem posts are locked and the neck screws are snug.

Unfortunately not my first time at this rodeo :)

I have the Mexi and it is absolutely the worst guitar I recall ever trying to tune.
Once it is in tune it is not too bad, but getting it there after temp/humidity fluctuations
is a nightmare!!
My MIM is fine but we don't get much fluctuation here in northern California.

Back
Top Bottom