NGD Charvel DK24/upgrades

Quick question here. I just opened up the back plate as I was going to adjust the trem claws and spotted this. Is this stock/normal? the middle spring there isnt even attached really...is this some sort of tremel no setup as an option or?....

Attachments

• charvel back.jpg
    charvel back.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 22
I also have a set of Marty Friedman Sigs laying around waiting for a guitar, too. Kind of messed up when
you buy a set of pickups, first, and then have to get a guitar to put them in. We are a messed up lot we
are. :)

Quick question here. I just opened up the back plate as I was going to adjust the trem claws and spotted this. Is this stock/normal? the middle spring there isnt even attached really...is this some sort of tremel no setup as an option or?....
I don't think it's stock. You can see what I think is the original screw hole in the body for the middle claw. I think the only Charvel that came with anything like that is the Guthrie Govan sig but I could be wrong.

After a quick google search I believe that is a hipshot tremsetter. I am not familiar with this will have to do some reading on it but It seems someone modded this guitar with it? unless these come in the promod dk24's?Screen Shot 2022-06-05 at 2.19.53 PM.png

FWIW I've been playing some darker amps like the Mesa's and riding my Tone knob really does make a difference here. The Full shred is fully exposed when playing Plexi style amps. Like hair on top of hair. Okay I'll shut up and play some more guitar now

Awesome! I know you have had quite the adventure getting to that place. :)

My buddy put a set of those in his fiddle and felt they were a little too bright on the bridge
side and it scared me off. I am going to get a set eventually (because Page!) and put them
in something. Seems like they may beg for a big spanking slab of mahogany to sound their
best.

Yeah, I think the Saturday Night Specials are probably best on any guitar that is naturally meaty, but if the guitar is bright naturally, it would probably go from articulate to just anemic or something like that.

After a quick google search I believe that is a hipshot tremsetter. I am not familiar with this will have to do some reading on it but It seems someone modded this guitar with it? unless these come in the promod dk24's?View attachment 103075
Much prefer the Floyd Rose TremEndus ... AKA the ESP Arming Adjuster!
Easier install. Easier adjustment. Can even tighten the back spring all the way and use it as a blocked dive forward only tremolo!

Looking at Suhr pickups

Suhr Doug Aldrich. Don't look further 🤠

I had the Thornbucker but I found it too neutral, too flat. No special character. The Aldrich has a special punch at the mids that I never get tired of playing with them. I've lost the account of how many pickups I've tried at my RG550LTD bridge position. Including the Thornbucker there have been Fred, Gravity Storm, The Breed, Evo2, PAF Joe, Tone Zone... The Aldrich is the final winner

Last edited:
Suhr Doug Aldrich. Don't look further 🤠

I had the Thornbucker but I found it too neutral, too flat. The Aldrich has a special punch at the mids that I never get tired of playing with them. I've lost the account of how many pickups I've tried at my RG550LTD bridge position, but including the Thornbucker there have been Fred, Gravity Storm, The Breed, Evo2, PAF Joe, Tone Zone... The Aldrich are the final winners
I was thinking these also. I had an Aldrich bridge in a guitar before and I really liked it. I sent a message to Suhr support asking them about these as I know they will deliver with the high gain but want to know how well they will split and clean up. They are def in my top 3.

FWIW I've been playing some darker amps like the Mesa's and riding my Tone knob really does make a difference here. The Full shred is fully exposed when playing Plexi style amps. Like hair on top of hair. Okay I'll shut up and play some more guitar now

Haha! I have to pretty much roll that Tone knob back to 7-8 just for a base tone. Not sure
why they have that No Load/Tone Bypass Pot on it. Cool feature but not needed on the
Bridge at least.

Since I have to put in a proper trem mounting claw back in it has me thinking about other upgrades. Perhaps big brass block and/or a wilkinson locking trem. Maybe a tremel-no. Anyone use noiseless springs? worthwhile? I'm in trouble now....

Last edited:
Since I have to put in a proper trem mounting claw back in it has me thinking about other upgrades. Perhaps big brass block and/or a wilkinson locking trem. Maybe a tremel-no. Anyone use noiseless springs? worthwhile? I'm in trouble now....

The noiseless springs from FU tone are overpriced IMO. You can get the same performance by stuffing the stock springs with foam or by placing a bit of rubber tubing inside them.

From what I have read, the tremol-no works well when it is setup properly. The biggest concerns are that it is difficult to get it working properly and that the set screw is easy to lose because it can fall out when the system is setup to float.

The noiseless springs from FU tone are overpriced IMO. You can get the same performance by stuffing the stock springs with foam or by placing a bit of rubber tubing inside them.

From what I have read, the tremol-no works well when it is setup properly. The biggest concerns are that it is difficult to get it working properly and that the set screw is easy to lose because it can fall out when the system is setup to float.
thanks for the tip. After reading about some of the issues and I don't want to fidget around with my trem decided against. I am strongly considering ordering a Wilkinson bridge though. They have a drop in replacement designed for charvel dinky guitars. Tad pricey but this way I'll just get the whole locking system already fit with their own bridge design. I could hold out til when the saddles become avail but who knows when that will be and this bridge is ready to go and avail.

Oh, and I'll pay you $20 just to get something other than a Thornbucker. ;)
Well I've moved past the thornbuckers. As good as they are I have a feeling they're going to be too vintagey/low output for this guitar. I realized I got this guitar to be a shredder. It needs to scream. I was really close to ordering suhr aldrich set but I don;t want to drop $400 on pickups right now. Putting money instead on the Graphtec Ratio staggered tuners and the Wilkinson locking bridge that I just ordered today. Pickups can wait or by then who knows...i may end up really bonding with the Full Shred. I was playing some cleaner amps /edge of break up last night and they coil split really nicely actually. I understand why Charvel put them in these guitars.

Yup. 2 and 4 do a very respectable job. :) I tend to move to those when I need
anything remotely clean or vintagey. Certainly not full on Strat, but close enough
in a pinch. :)

I bet the Aldrich's could potentially be too bright, anyways. He uses those in his Les
Pauls, and I know others maybe have put them in a Superstrat, but they are definitely
designed and voiced to work with a big, fat slab of Mahogany.

Yup. 2 and 4 do a very respectable job. :) I tend to move to those when I need
anything remotely clean or vintagey. Certainly not full on Strat, but close enough
in a pinch. :)

I bet the Aldrich's could potentially be too bright, anyways. He uses those in his Les
Pauls, and I know others maybe have put them in a Superstrat, but they are definitely
designed and voiced to work with a big, fat slab of Mahogany.
yeah that's what made me pause. They'd be great in a LP but the Charvel with Alder and maple already a bright guitar. I'll continue to ride that tone knob in the meantime ;) Agreed I was quite enjoying positions 2 and 4. It's only the plexi style amps I'll have to modify my presets to balance off all the high end

Back
Top Bottom