NGD Charvel DK24/upgrades

The nut sauce also helps. Haven't looked at the trem posts..what do you mean about 'locking them'?
There's a set screw inside the post, at the bottom.

Once you have set the trem height, you can turn those until they are snug. You use a very small Allen wrench down the center of the post.

This prevents the post from having any "slack" in the threads which can also lead to tuning stability issues.

Also, be aware that you should loosen these before trying to lower the posts.

The early Ibanez guitars with Edge trems have the same thing, and those were made by Gotoh. The 510 has them and so does the 1996T Floyd Rose they make.

My thoughts exactly. Overall its still a killer deal. Is there a fret end file you'd suggest? I've read conflicting things about when best to address fret sprout...during the driest/coldest season when fret sprout may be most pronounced/worse or do it during spring/summer....or does it really matter? Either way i was just thinking finding a decent fret file and be gentle about it just to take off some of the sharpness.

https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-tools-and-supplies/types-of-tools/files/fret-end-dressing-file/
This is only about $20 which i can live with but I'm not spending $20 on shipping just to get it. Uggh. I need alternatives...dare I look on Amazon?

edit: found this file online at local hardware store. It looks very similar to the stew mac. can't be rocket science as long as the file is made of good quality material the rest is technique
https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/sho...6Gn_GsIepzl_5vcfa60X-LaeJoPmv9kYaAs_BEALw_wcB

Fret Guru..most expensive of the three here
Amazon product ASIN B013ZHK4DM
Fret-end dressing files are for dressing the fret ends, not for “leveling” them. They will soften sharp corners and edges, but they won’t fix the sprout (make the fret ends level with the fingerboard.) You use a fret-end dressing file after you file away the sprouting, just like you use a crowning file after you level the frets.

For that, I use diamond abrasive cards like these. Or you can make your own from a small, flat piece of wood (or whatever) and sandpaper. You want it to be long enough to span at least three frets at the low end of the neck, and not much longer.

When you’re using these, be careful of the angle you hold them at. Too steep, and you’ll cut into the neck. Too shallow, and you’ll change the bevel on the frets. If the neck is set in instead of bolted on, take steps to protect the body where the neck attaches. If it’s a bolt-on, then remove the neck before working on it.

I fear I may have exaggerated the issue and may not be using terminology right so figured I'd upload a pic here. on the very edge of the neck the frets are not really protruding much at all. Meaning they are fairly flush/level with the neck edge. there are a few that do just by a hair. I think what i'm feeling mostly are the large rounded off shoulders of the fret. Again, I am not accustomed to jumbo frets so perhaps that's what I'm noticing. Is it possible they were not rolled off/shaved/dressed enough at factory? could have used slight shaving down ?...I think that's what I'd like.

Attachments

• Charvel frets.jpg
    Charvel frets.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 34
Last edited:
I fear I may have exaggerated the issue and may not be using terminology right so figured I'd upload a pic here. on the very edge of the neck the frets are not really protruding much at all. Meaning they are fairly flush/level with the neck edge. there are a few that do just by a hair. I think what i'm feeling mostly are the large rounded off shoulders of the fret. Again, I am not accustomed to jumbo frets so perhaps that's what I'm noticing. Is it possible they were not rolled off/shaved/dressed enough at factory? could have used slight shaving down ?...I think that's what I'd like.
It’s impossible to fully evaluate what’s going on from that picture, but it does look like the join between the bevel and the crown hasn’t been rounded adequately. A fret-end dressing file would take care of that.

Tuning stability was the #1 reason I sold it. The ESP arm adjuster helped a lot but only after I made the trem down only. Also, I bypassed the D/G string tree, added lube to the nut. I travelled with the guitar and though I didn't see major issues on cold climates, it got worse when I travelled south (FL mainly). YMMV as always.

Ended up going back to Floyd Rose for my "whammy" guitar, unfortunately (since I think the Charvel's neck is awesome).

It's definitely not a divebomb worthy trem, in my experience. More of a Gilmour or Beck style of trem use, and mine handles that well.
If I was going full on Vai or Van Halen I would look for something with a locking trem, too.

My thoughts exactly. Overall its still a killer deal. Is there a fret end file you'd suggest? I've read conflicting things about when best to address fret sprout...during the driest/coldest season when fret sprout may be most pronounced/worse or do it during spring/summer....or does it really matter? Either way i was just thinking finding a decent fret file and be gentle about it just to take off some of the sharpness.

https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-tools-and-supplies/types-of-tools/files/fret-end-dressing-file/
This is only about $20 which i can live with but I'm not spending $20 on shipping just to get it. Uggh. I need alternatives...dare I look on Amazon?

edit: found this file online at local hardware store. It looks very similar to the stew mac. can't be rocket science as long as the file is made of good quality material the rest is technique
https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/sho...6Gn_GsIepzl_5vcfa60X-LaeJoPmv9kYaAs_BEALw_wcB

Fret Guru..most expensive of the three here
Amazon product ASIN B013ZHK4DM

Maybe you have seen this Chewie. Great video on fret sprout and how to ad(dress) it. :)

That actually look like a good starting point. Make sure whatever you do you don't loose playing width. I tiny dress with a file to take off the protruding tangs is all that is needed but nicely rounding the ends would be nice too . You would only find this on high end guitars though.

That actually look like a good starting point. Make sure whatever you do you don't loose playing width. I tiny dress with a file to take off the protruding tangs is all that is needed but nicely rounding the ends would be nice too . You would only find this on high end guitars though.
Do you think the roughest fret eraser (ordered the set of 7-stewmac) would do the trick to make the fret shoulders a little less proud? or best to use a fret end file?

Do you think the roughest fret eraser (ordered the set of 7-stewmac) would do the trick to make the fret shoulders a little less proud? or best to use a fret end file?
A file would be easy easier to control. The fret erasers are soft, with no safe edge. When you're trying to round the very point of the bevel (where it meets the fingerboard), you risk digging into the board.

What I find interesting in that picture is the color difference the face of the fretboard appears to have compared to the edge of the fretboard.

Maybe it's a trick of the light but it looks odd.

The pau Ferro fretboard color can more or less match the color of the roasted maple neck as you can see from the side in your photo.

What I find interesting in that picture is the color difference the face of the fretboard appears to have compared to the edge of the fretboard.

Maybe it's a trick of the light but it looks odd.

The pau Ferro fretboard color can more or less match the color of the roasted maple neck as you can see from the side in your photo.
yeah its just the way the lighting hits. I had to double check my neck haha just to be sure. By the way my graphtec ratio staggered tuners just arrived today. I'll be installing them sometime soon!

Pickups. Having spent more time with the Full Shred I'm appreciating why its a bit like the Duncan JB. Polarizing. The very things that make it shine are also its drawbacks. I do really like the percussiveness to the Full Shred. The harmonics really pop out with ease. It's really perfect for that 80's hair metal and that's part of the problem. It certainly cuts through the mix...very pronounced midrange and highs; Its a hot hot pickup and just breathes fire...but after awhile I find it wears on my ears a bit.

I thought about taking the FS out and replacing with a duncan custom or custom 5...keep it in the same family of sound but just tamer perhaps....

My current thinking is considering the versatility this guitar offers with the series/parallel mini switch (10 tonal variations with the 5 way blade) Why not get a set that is known for its versatility - I'm leaning towards Suhr Thornbucker+ in bridge and Thornbucker in neck. I've been a fan of Pete's playing and see how he can coax all sorts of tones from his guitars. They aren't considered the hottest pickups out there but seem to be regarded as very tonally balanced. High gain isn't a problem with the Axe Fx. Rely on the output/compression of the amps more than the pickups and for cleaner/edge of breakup the pickups will do a great job for that. It's a catch 22. I like high output compressed pickups to get that high gain punch with ease of harmonics etc but then sacrifice the versatility when cleaning it up. Welcome any thoughts and/or suggestions to help me finalize a decision.

Last edited:
Pickups. Having spent more time with the Full Shred I'm appreciating why its a bit like the Duncan JB. Polarizing. The very things that make it shine are also its drawbacks. I do really like the percussiveness to the Full Shred. The harmonics really pop out with ease. It's really perfect for that 80's hair metal and that's part of the problem. It certainly cuts through the mix...very pronounced midrange and highs; Its a hot hot pickup and just breathes fire...but after awhile I find it wears on my ears a bit.

I thought about taking the FS out and replacing with a duncan custom or custom 5...keep it in the same family of sound but just tamer perhaps....

My current thinking is considering the versatility this guitar offers with the series/parallel mini switch (10 tonal variations with the 5 way blade) Why not get a set that is known for its versatility - I'm leaning towards Suhr Thornbucker+ in bridge and Thornbucker in neck. I've been a fan of Pete's playing and see how he can coax all sorts of tones from his guitars. They aren't considered the hottest pickups out there but seem to be regarded as very tonally balanced. High gain isn't a problem with the Axe Fx. Rely on the output/compression of the amps more than the pickups and for cleaner/edge of breakup the pickups will do a great job for that. It's a catch 22. I like high output compressed pickups to get that high gain punch with ease of harmonics etc but then sacrifice the versatility when cleaning it up. Welcome any thoughts and/or suggestions to help me finalize a decision.

Dude, Saturday Night Specials. I have a set, and they are incredible. I had them in my Washburn Parallaxe Trevor Rabin, which is a hardtail superstrat, and they were the best, most versatile pickups ever in that guitar. They were the only set listed on Duncan's site at the time listed as medium output, if I remember correctly. But anyway, I could play country if I were so inclined, blues, rock, thrash, or death metal, and they sounded great no matter what. I found everything I played just to have great nuance and character. There was never any of that blandness or harshness I've felt from the JB. This guitar came with JB in the bridge and a '59 in the neck. The '59 was okay to me, but the JB was just purely hateful to my ears. Talk about harsh without any real range. Just screaming all the time. And rolling off the volume knob just made it sound anemic and bland. But the Saturday Night Specials, in both the neck and bridge, just sounded articulate and sweet no matter what I did.

I then put them in my Schecter Sun Valley Super Shredder Black Limba, which is another superstrat, but this time with a Floyd. Here they still had the versatility, but the guitar itself has a harshness to it, right around 2.3kHz, that I would have to dial out with the Saturday Night Specials. So I realized this guitar is really begging for really really hot pickups. I put in some blistering hot humbuckers, that took away the harshness.

But for a guitar like yours, I'd definitely take a hard look at the Saturday Night Specials. You can roll off the volume and tone knobs and get all sorts of expressive and authoritative goodness. You can always buy from a Duncan dealer and take advantage of their exchange policy if you realize you don't like them.

Man, I am pretty sure guitarists tossed more money into the "finding the right pickup" blackhole than
any other. Probably even surpassess the booze, babes, and blow blackholes. :)

Man, I am pretty sure guitarists tossed more money into the "finding the right pickup" blackhole than
any other. Probably even surpassess the booze, babes, and blow blackholes. :)
Guilty as charged. I don't think I have the stock pickups in any guitar that I own. Part of it is the fun of messing around with modding/soldering for me but honestly a lot of the time I'm just not happy with the sound of original combination of pickups that come with the guitar. The only exception to that was my music man axis. Only guitar i regret swapping pickups but that being said I put dimarzio AT-1 (andy timmons) in bridge and 36th anniversary in the neck and it sounds fantastic. I have not changed since nor will I again on that guitar. My JP15 came with illuminators and I found them just too high output and I'n not a fan of Ceramic pickups.

I will admit that I hate going down the pickup rabbit hole. Its so massively subjective and personal. We all hear things differently and we all like to hear different things. Like some love the JB while others (myself included) hate the honkiness. I also admit that I don't like the idea of dropping $300-$400 on 'premium' pickups when honestly...there are probably many iterations that are close in more accessible pickups like Duncans or Dimarzios for half the price. I definitely have some cognitive dissonance going on here. I wish I could just be content with the Full shred, make adjustments in my presets to balance out the harshness and nasal character.

Looking at Suhr pickups and now to the other end of the spectrum of what would be the most cost effective solution is just swapping out the Full Shred for another duncan that isn't quite as hot. Spend only $100.

I also admit that this can get really anal and obsessive over the minutiae of things. Guilty on all accounts , your honor(s)

Dude, Saturday Night Specials. I have a set, and they are incredible. I had them in my Washburn Parallaxe Trevor Rabin, which is a hardtail superstrat, and they were the best, most versatile pickups ever in that guitar. They were the only set listed on Duncan's site at the time listed as medium output, if I remember correctly. But anyway, I could play country if I were so inclined, blues, rock, thrash, or death metal, and they sounded great no matter what. I found everything I played just to have great nuance and character. There was never any of that blandness or harshness I've felt from the JB. This guitar came with JB in the bridge and a '59 in the neck. The '59 was okay to me, but the JB was just purely hateful to my ears. Talk about harsh without any real range. Just screaming all the time. And rolling off the volume knob just made it sound anemic and bland. But the Saturday Night Specials, in both the neck and bridge, just sounded articulate and sweet no matter what I did.

I then put them in my Schecter Sun Valley Super Shredder Black Limba, which is another superstrat, but this time with a Floyd. Here they still had the versatility, but the guitar itself has a harshness to it, right around 2.3kHz, that I would have to dial out with the Saturday Night Specials. So I realized this guitar is really begging for really really hot pickups. I put in some blistering hot humbuckers, that took away the harshness.

But for a guitar like yours, I'd definitely take a hard look at the Saturday Night Specials. You can roll off the volume and tone knobs and get all sorts of expressive and authoritative goodness. You can always buy from a Duncan dealer and take advantage of their exchange policy if you realize you don't like them.

Awesome! I know you have had quite the adventure getting to that place. :)

My buddy put a set of those in his fiddle and felt they were a little too bright on the bridge
side and it scared me off. I am going to get a set eventually (because Page!) and put them
in something. Seems like they may beg for a big spanking slab of mahogany to sound their
best.

Guilty as charged. I don't think I have the stock pickups in any guitar that I own. Part of it is the fun of messing around with modding/soldering for me but honestly a lot of the time I'm just not happy with the sound of original combination of pickups that come with the guitar. The only exception to that was my music man axis. Only guitar i regret swapping pickups but that being said I put dimarzio AT-1 (andy timmons) in bridge and 36th anniversary in the neck and it sounds fantastic. I have not changed since nor will I again on that guitar. My JP15 came with illuminators and I found them just too high output and I'n not a fan of Ceramic pickups.

I will admit that I hate going down the pickup rabbit hole. Its so massively subjective and personal. We all hear things differently and we all like to hear different things. Like some love the JB while others (myself included) hate the honkiness. I also admit that I don't like the idea of dropping $300-$400 on 'premium' pickups when honestly...there are probably many iterations that are close in more accessible pickups like Duncans or Dimarzios for half the price. I definitely have some cognitive dissonance going on here. I wish I could just be content with the Full shred, make adjustments in my presets to balance out the harshness and nasal character.

Looking at Suhr pickups and now to the other end of the spectrum of what would be the most cost effective solution is just swapping out the Full Shred for another duncan that isn't quite as hot. Spend only $100.

I also admit that this can get really anal and obsessive over the minutiae of things. Guilty on all accounts , your honor(s)

Cool post! That's definitely one dark and intimidating forest with angels and demons lurking all over the
place, and we generallydon't know which is which until it is too late. :)

I don't always love the Full Shred either. You described its attributes perfectly. As I was reading I was just
nodding my head along.

For that 80s thing they nail it. That's what I love about it. And if I need/want something else I just grab a
different guitar. I think if I changed it it would maybe cease to be what I snagged a Charvel for in the first
place. To do what it does. :)

I think if I changed it it would maybe cease to be what I snagged a Charvel for in the first
place. To do what it does. :)
This is a really valid point and I'm gonna let that resonate for awhile. I'm going to play some more today and try to appreciate its strong points

Back
Top Bottom