NGD: Carvin ST300 - Aqua Burst

hussamd

Power User
I cannot say enough about the workmanship and beauty of the new Carvins. Mahogany body with flame maple Aqua Burst and Aqua Birdseye maple fretboard and new Kiesel pickups with 5 way switch. The new pickups rock!

Now I want one in Deep Moss Green before my wife kills me.

Blue_0

Blue_3

Blue1

Looks killer. My only negative comment would be it's a shame they didn't have that chunk of flame more lined up at the octave instead of the 11th fret. That's just my OCD speaking there though, and obviously when you are standing up playing you won't really even see that. Maybe MOP dots to be more visible as well.

With that bridge and those locking tuners with super straight pulls it should hold tune forever.

Wow. That is another gorgeous work of art from Kiesel. I think Carvin is really knocking it out of the park these days. I'm becoming very tempted to order a guitar from them. I had a DC150 back in 1980, which was a great instrument.

How do you like the Kiesel pickups?

The new pickups are much better and tighter than their old ones. I used the same patch I setup for my other guitars (AHB-3 and DiMarzio Illuminator pickups) and I did not have to change much. It still sounded heavy and aggressive. The coil tapping with the 5 way switch gives me a wider range of sounds. I love it!

The new pickups are much better and tighter than their old ones. I used the same patch I setup for my other guitars (AHB-3 and DiMarzio Illuminator pickups) and I did not have to change much. It still sounded heavy and aggressive. The coil tapping with the 5 way switch gives me a wider range of sounds. I love it!

Oh man. I figured that was a 3 way pickup selector. So, the 5 positions are something like
(1) Bridge pickup humbucker
(2) Bridge pickup tapped for single coil
(3) Both pickups in hum / single (?)
(4) Neck pickup tapped for single coil
(5) Neck pickup humbucker

Is that correct?

Love the top on this one, Keisel is really cranking out some cool stuff Nice guitar man! Although I think I would have done a natural finish on the back with a tung oil finish on the back of the neck.

Love the top on this one, Keisel is really cranking out some cool stuff Nice guitar man! Although I think I would have done a natural finish on the back with a tung oil finish on the back of the neck.

Mahogany is kinda boring. I wish I had a solid color on the back. I would have gone with a natural wood finish with something like black limba or flame maple. I guess the next one :)

Oh man. I figured that was a 3 way pickup selector. So, the 5 positions are something like
(1) Bridge pickup humbucker
(2) Bridge pickup tapped for single coil
(3) Both pickups in hum / single (?)
(4) Neck pickup tapped for single coil
(5) Neck pickup humbucker

Is that correct?

Exactly. No push pull knobs. I never cared for them.

Not sure about (3) but it sounds good regardless.

Very Cool . that Aqua burst is stunning. I have a bunch O' Carvins. I wonder how the New new pickups compare to the old old pickups. I have an Ultra V from the 80's and I always thought that guitar had the most strident in your face yet articulate tone.

No push pull knobs. I never cared for them.
Me either. I love having options, but those push pull knobs never did it for me. My DC150 had a three-way pickup selector, plus a pair of coil tap switches, plus a phase switch. It was pretty flexible, but looked like a science project. I think having all that neatly on the 5-way switch is much more elegant.
Enjoy that guitar. It's a beauty!

Back
Top Bottom