NGD: AXE FX 2 Mark 2!!

Congrats, what were you using before?

I tend to get more excited with guitars because they are familiar.

The AXE can be a little confusing at times. It will certainly be the most versatile and useful piece of gear you own.

Tweak on!

Last edited:
Gz, welcome to the club :)

It may seem a little intimidating at first, but just keep it simple when you start out, choose an amp and a cab you like and tweak basic controls like bass, treble etc. The number of options in this thing is nothing short of insane, so if you start out with twisting every knob you find, you'll get lost until you learn a bit about what each control does.

But I've no doubt you'll end up loving it just as much as the rest of us do, best piece of gear I ever bought fo sho :)

(Or maybe you've already had an Axe previously?) :D

Ah, forum acronyms are so confusing these days.

This is very true. The first time I saw it NGD used as New Gear Day, it was for some stomp boxes. I was like those don't look like guitars to me. Then they keyed me in on it. Too many abbreviations nowadays :lol

Doh, forgot. Congrats! Yep there will be tons of tone and fw updates. You will love this lil box! Also, this is the most helpful music forum on earth when it comes to learning about the product its based for. :D

Haha thanks for the welcome guys!

I've had a 6505+ 1x12 combo with a pedal board... sold it all to fund the PRS, and the amp rig become annoying to transport... So I moved to processors for their versatility. VOX Tonelab LE was what I used the most, GT100, HD500X, Zoom G5, AXE STANDARD (for a short while).

The AXE STANDARD really opened my eyes to Fractal's capabilities, but it had a color to the tone that I didn't really like... The AXE 2, however, is a different animal. It just sounds more authentic (based on videos), whereas the Standard sounded good, but not authentic. I honestly don't know where to go from here, I feel like I've just bought every high end amp and effect on the market, for a fraction of a fraction of the price!

Welcome JRod.

Where to start is any place you want! Best advice is keep it simple to start. Find an amp and try some different cab IRs until you find something you like and build from there. Also read this forum so much great info comes from the guys on this forum it will help you out in a lot of areas. And don't be afraid to come on here and ask questions the people are great at helping each other out. Best community I have ever been apart of.

Last edited:
Yeah there's a lot in there - it does get overwhelming! And as far as the firmware updates... I forsee myself becoming frustrated with the constant updates, which will force me to re-tweak my patches! lol

I also want to say that I bought it from ARAWANA2 or AXEGOD8185 on some forums, he was honest, had great communication, everything worked as promised, and was packaged very well. He shipped it on Monday and FEDEX got it to me on Tuesday. I didn't expect to get it until this weekend, so getting it in ONE DAY was awesome!

So my first impression is that it sounds good, as expected! I wasn't blown away yet though, but I think that's because I was using presets and honestly I think I'm limited with my FRFR rig (Behringer K3000FX), but getting another FRFR rig is out of the question.

Anyway, I have a few questions.

1) How do I get all of the factory presets back?
2) I have no idea what a lot of the advanced settings do... should I toy with them, or let them go for the time being? Are there recommended advanced settings for each advanced setting for each amp that I can download somewhere?
3) What are the best FREE UltraRES IR's for download? - I'll probably buy Cab Pack 7 in the future, but for now I just want some other options. Most likely, 4x12's.

The better the FRFR monitors are , the happier you will be with your tone . There's a pretty big difference in them.
(1) Support page on Fractal site has the presets up to download , download and install Fractalbot to install them on your unit.
(2) No recommended settings I know of , I would suggest approaching advanced settings as you go , just play with them and familiarize yourself with the changes they make one at a time , I find I don't use them a lot personally.
(3) Probably the best free UR IR's are the ones Fractal has in the AxFx Mk II firmware download .

The better the FRFR monitors are , the happier you will be with your tone . There's a pretty big difference in them.
(1) Support page on Fractal site has the presets up to download , download and install Fractalbot to install them on your unit.
(2) No recommended settings I know of , I would suggest approaching advanced settings as you go , just play with them and familiarize yourself with the changes they make one at a time , I find I don't use them a lot personally.
(3) Probably the best free UR IR's are the ones Fractal has in the AxFx Mk II firmware download .

Cool - thanks! I was pleasantly surprised to find the UR IR's that were included in firmware 17.04 update, I'll have to start toying with them!

As far as the FRFR rig, I think the key for me will be to find an EQ that will match the mains at the venues I'm playing at... basically I want to tonematch my home rig with the venue, haha. It's not perfect, but it's a work around for not having the best FRFR rig.

Back
Top Bottom