NGD ‘91 Gibson Les Paul Classic

York Audio

Fractal Fanatic
Vendor
When I was a teenager, I was obsessed with Les Pauls. I would cut out pictures from guitar magazines and grab catalog posters from music stores and tape them to my wall. Something about the look of that guitar just made me want to play and I would dream about it all the time, and the tobacco burst was easily my favorite color.

Fast forward 20 years. After searching and searching, I finally found the guitar that adorned my walls all those years ago... a ‘91 Les Paul Classic with a PERFECT tobacco burst. Not too much black on the edges, not too orange in the center, and a beautiful transition of brown.

Please meet my new baby. :)
7B5511BB-CF37-473D-A69B-C000B77D7310.jpeg
DC331CC3-C53C-480A-AFAF-BDCAD2874A34.jpeg

It’s inspiring to play, and the slim neck is wildly fast, but I need to swap out the pickups for something with lower output. The bridge measures at 14k! You’ll be hearing this guitar a lot in the future.

Gorgeous! That's a great era for Gibson too IMO. Can't wait to hear it.
I couldn’t agree more. I just bought a pristine 2001 Classic on Reverb, but it felt weirdly cheap and the burst was sub-par, so I returned it. This one came up as soon as I got the refund, but cost $600 more than the one I returned. The extra cash was totally worth it! The guitar looks amazing, has “normal” fret markers (not the yellowed “aged” ones), and has Les Paul Model on the headstock instead of Les Paul Classic. It’s weird how those little details make a big difference to the allure of a guitar.

The wood is great too! Acoustically, it has a clearer top end than my ‘97 with a little less low end, but I think it will open up more down there as I play it. It’s definitely been played a lot, but I can tell it’s spent a lot of time in the case too.

Replacement pickup: I'm extremely happy with "Spirit of 59" from Amber (German) in my Gibson.

https://www.amberpickups.com
Thanks for the tip! I’ll have to look into these pickups. I’m gonna put some Duncan Alnico II Pros in it for now and may upgrade later. It’s a cheap pickup, but I think it covers a huge amount of ground and they sound great in every guitar I’ve put them in.

When I was a teenager, I was obsessed with Les Pauls. I would cut out pictures from guitar magazines and grab catalog posters from music stores and tape them to my wall. Something about the look of that guitar just made me want to play and I would dream about it all the time, and the tobacco burst was easily my favorite color.

Fast forward 20 years. After searching and searching, I finally found the guitar that adorned my walls all those years ago... a ‘91 Les Paul Classic with a PERFECT tobacco burst. Not too much black on the edges, not too orange in the center, and a beautiful transition of brown.

Please meet my new baby. :)
View attachment 78105
View attachment 78106

It’s inspiring to play, and the slim neck is wildly fast, but I need to swap out the pickups for something with lower output. The bridge measures at 14k! You’ll be hearing this guitar a lot in the future.
Awesome! Check out the Zexcoil TriBuckers too, I love love love mine! https://lawingmusicalproducts.com/dual-core-pickups/dtbset-tribucker-set

SEXY !

I have two Classics and they (Classics) are by far my favorite. I have a ‘99 and (I think) a ‘06. Both have what Gibson calls “AAA” tops.

Last edited:
Bad-Ass!! There aint nothin like a good Les Paul. I’m sure you’ll enjoy the hell outta that bad boy!

Back
Top Bottom