NGD – .strandberg* DR Titanium

I really like these but I daren't get one in case I end up really liking the neck and then not playing my 25 others.
Of course, I’m biased … but I acclimated to the neck pretty much instantly … and I love it. I was marveling at the way my thumb naturally tracked the best position up and down the neck. Just great design.

When’s the last time I saw a piece of high-tech gear inspire people to divest of their traditional equipment? Hmm … it’s on the tip of my tongue …

Oh, and one more thing – five pounds, three ounces.

That's not really a quality that's specifically due to it being multiscale, is it? Lots of guitars play like butter. My Majesties play like butter.
I bet they do!
The multi scale fits my hand in a nice way. And the tension feels a lot lighter than my straight 25.5 scale necks.

And the tension feels a lot lighter than my straight 25.5 scale necks.
Huh. So how do they even call out the scale?
And do the strings just get increased tension as they get longer, or do you account for that with a set specially designed for the different lengths? (Maybe I should watch a video, lol)

The string tension on the high strings is lowered without making the bass flubby.
Interesting idea. So then in theory, without designing a multiscale guitar, I'd imagine you could accomplish the same thing by customizing a set of strings..., as an example, put a 9 on the high e, and a 52 on the low e, say on a 25" scale guitar, then calculate the other strings' gauges so they would gradually go from whatever the tension on the high e is, to whatever the tension on the low e is?
The extremes of whatever gauge you choose would be limited to the travel of your saddles, so you could get them to intonate correctly, I suppose?

I use 10's on the Strandberg and 9.5s on the teles.
I would go up to 11-48 on the strandberg but the holes at the nut would have to be reamed out a little bit.

Just a quick update … I love my DL Titanium. My Strat is ruined for me … it feels like I’m wearing a boat anchor around my neck.

So I plan to get an additional Strandberg (!) shortly … one with a trem bridge. Best of both worlds. I’m going to wait until their announcement on the 22nd; they’ve got something coming called NX.

If it’s got a trem, and the price and features are right, I’m in! If not, maybe just a Boden standard … Sweetwater has a bunch in stock, and they cost roughly half what the DR did.

I plan to sell my customized Strat; maybe I’ll put up a notice here. It’s Strandberg all the way out for me from now on. And man, the way it sounds with the Axe-FX III … !

I’ve made up my mind! I’m placing an order for a new Prog NX 7, in Charcoal Black. (The “Twilight Purple” was a little over-the-top for me.)

I gave a lot of thought to going with a Standard, but decided to live by my own advice … “If you don’t spend a little extra to get what you really want, you’ll regret it every time you use what you settled for … and in the long run, you’ll end up buying what you wanted in the first place.”

I still think it’s damned good advice. Sweetwater says they’ll have them in “several weeks,” and I’m going ahead and starting the payments. Time to liquidate that Strat …

strandberg-boden-prog-nx-charcoal-black-trem-7-string-headless-guitar-3.jpg

Last edited:
Just to follow-up … I did it! I placed the order for the Prog NX 7 Charcoal Black – just like you see above – from Sweetwater. They tell me I’m #1 on the runway for that model and color, so if they get more than one, I get my choice. Nice!

Aaaaand … they expect delivery by October 15. That’s a damn sight better than the 4+ months I waited for my Prog 6 order to get cancelled. (Though now, it’s transparently clear why it was cancelled.)

I’m not complaining, though … I’m lucky it wasn’t available. Now I’ll have two Strandbergs with the newest tech … a hardtail, a trem, a six-string, a seven-string. (My first!) Both matched in basic form, weight, and most attributes.

If anyone’s looking, I will be putting my (formerly) beloved Strat up under “For Sale“ pretty soon … I put a lot of love and nice custom mods into it, and who knows … it might appeal to you. Never gigged, never left the apartment.

I’ll update when the new baybay arrives! I am so psyched. I can’t wait to hear those Fishman Fluence Modern active pickups … and the sassafras body. Thanks for putting up with my enthusiasm.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom