• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Next up Axe-Fx AI

I’d like to see a dedicated AI chip added that could be “fed” a tone in a recording (Album or otherwise) or sample a performance (Kemper). Process that, take in to account the user’s guitar and playback environment and then deliver a solid reproduction.

Black box AI. What’s in the Box?!?!

AI as clever as Cliff. If Tesla’s cars can drive themselves maybe we might be able to look forward to that as well.

We still must learn to play but the creator/engineer is in the box... the player is set free from it.

Tones on demand. No different than supplying the necessary sample points or data and enough processing. Tone match or Kemper profiling with creative bots imbued with the creativity of folks like Cliff.

chris

Legend!
I’d like to see a dedicated AI chip added that could be “fed” a tone in a recording (Album or otherwise) or sample a performance (Kemper). Process that, take in to account the user’s guitar and playback environment and then deliver a solid reproduction.

Black box AI. What’s in the Box?!?!

AI as clever as Cliff. If Tesla’s cars can drive themselves maybe we might be able to look forward to that as well.

We still must learn to play but the creator/engineer is in the box... the player is set free from it.

Tones on demand. No different than supplying the necessary sample points or data and enough processing. Tone match or Kemper profiling with creative bots imbued with the creativity of folks like Cliff.
doesn't this describe tone matching?

also, copying a tone exactly doesn't always work if the OTHER instruments don't have the exact same tones as well, drums, bass, vocals, everything. the mix we hear on albums takes all of that into account.

it's why Master of Puppets guitar tone sounds good on that record, but not in anyone's band.

doesn't this describe tone matching?
Hi Chris.

Maybe with a cursory glance it does. I thought tone match required someone to get in the neighborhood with an appropriate amp and IR and then tone match to bridge the gap. And allow for guitar and playback systems. As a newb, I may be wrong again.

What I am talking about is a situation where a novice in the technology but SME in the operation simply wants a deliverable. Choose any one you like. ”Siri-Chris” I’d like to sound like X. Here and now.

Our virtual guitar tech/studio assistant/engineer offers a solution and solicits feedback. And adjusts accordingly.

Cliff has already broken the wall of what is possible in the “virtual” world. Bring on the bots man.

Last edited:

Patzag

Fractal Fanatic
While we're at it, I want a chip that analyses my playing and corrects the bad notes and makes me sound like whichever player profile I loaded into the machine. I play the song, it corrects my notes and timing and there you go .. instant Robben Ford.

While we're at it, I want a chip that analyses my playing and corrects the bad notes and makes me sound like whichever player profile I loaded into the machine. I play the song, it corrects my notes and timing and there you go .. instant Robben Ford.
No one said a thing about auto-tune.

It’s auto-tone. Think about the difference Amigo.

shatteredsquare

Power User
basically a buffet of album+artist+genre based presets, integrated into the user interface of the device, like Line 6 Tone Port? I like having to work for it, and I've really enjoyed (and am enjoying) the mandatory learning curve it's imposed on me in owning one.

chris

Legend!
as an aside, i don't think this has ever been the goal of the Axe. to make the amps sound authentic, yes. best amp modeling ever done for sure. but i don't think it was meant to "make you sound exactly like _____." if so, it would be compressed and force every guitar to sound different by nature. it absolutely doesn't do that - it acts like a real amp and lets your gear sound like your gear.

people want a magical device that you plug any guitar into, press a preset and BAM sounds exactly like Sweet Child solo, or BAM Metallica tone from pick-your-era, or BAM acoustic simulation.

tone generation doesn't quite work like that.

as an aside, i don't think this has ever been the goal of the Axe. to make the amps sound authentic, yes. best amp modeling ever done for sure. but i don't think it was meant to "make you sound exactly like _____." if so, it would be compressed and force every guitar to sound different by nature. it absolutely doesn't do that - it acts like a real amp and lets your gear sound like your gear.

people want a magical device that you plug any guitar into, press a preset and BAM sounds exactly like Sweet Child solo, or BAM Metallica tone from pick-your-era, or BAM acoustic simulation.

tone generation doesn't quite work like that.
Remove the variables of player skill, style, input and output platforms and yes it does work like that. The Axe FX III is a strong statement in that regard.

Folks are reading in to my mission statement without actually listening to it.

Am I stating that AI makes us all equal players that can do what ever we want even if we are incapable of playing it? No.

Am I stating that AI can remove a lot of variables? Yes! Just as Cliff has done.

Rail against the possibility that the things Cliff has done can be automated and personalized. They can.

If you see this as impossible you are living in the same bubble that stated tubes can never be replicated.

Hold on tightly! The world is destined to change. I’m quite used to that being denied by experts with anchors in the past.

Last edited:

shatteredsquare

Power User
Things are packaged like that to sell units. FAS don't gaf about moving product. FAS's focus is ON the product. Everything else, including simplification strategies iot make it more appealing/accessible to the less engaged, is a distraction from forward progress.

Last edited:
machine learning tone match?

might be easier and quicker to just download or buy presets
Or go to the library and find a book. Or send a letter via the post office. No sense in doing things differently.

The very creative thinking that made the platform we are discussing is, is what the new reality will be.
The impossible will be ubiquitously available.

Or go to the library and find a book. Or send a letter via the post office. No sense in doing things differently.

The very creative thinking that made the platform we are discussing is, is what the new reality will be.
If find it incredible that the very people who embrace that the genius thinking that brought us accurate modeling, IR’s, near infinite routing and creativity can’t see beyond the latest “iPhone” the guitar market has delivered.

Really?

Don’t get me wrong, I love my iPhone Axe FX III, I simply think there will be another step in the right direction. And then another. What do you think our children and grandchildren will play with? Cliff got that and that is why we are here. What’s next?

phil92

Inspired

I'm not saying it's going to be entirely impossible forever, but surely for a while: the processing power and iterations you'd need to isolate, analyze and ultimately re-manufacture a complete guitar sound (that's pedals, amp, cab, more effects, EQing, mastering) is going to be immense.

I'm not saying it's going to be entirely impossible forever, but surely for a while: the processing power and iterations you'd need to isolate, analyze and ultimately re-manufacture a complete guitar sound (that's pedals, amp, cab, more effects, EQing, mastering) is going to be immense.
Surely it is. But my iPhone’s hardware is more powerful that the PC I played Half-Life 2 on. And when you add in AI, hardware becomes just a mechanism for exploring anything.

Like a human brain seeking tones on guitar. What did those brains accomplish with a Strat or Les Paul on a Fender Deluxe or Marshall Stack in the early days? Fast Forward. What did Cliff accomplish? What will virtual cloud based armies of Cliff’s accomplish? We are but children following the paths of our parents.

What happens when our “elders” and advisors are not limited by generational knowledge? When they can think beyond our collective wisdom and experience?

It’s like comparing pocket calculators to super computers. We will seem like blood letters.
Just like the folks that tote 4x12’s and 100 watt tube heads to the tribal jam now.

phil92

Inspired
Surely it is. But my iPhone’s hardware is more powerful that the PC I played Half-Life 2 on. And when you add in AI, hardware becomes just a mechanism for exploring anything...
"AI" gets tossed around a lot, like "deep learning" people think these are magic wands that can be waved around to accomplish anything. They are not.

Top Bottom