Next stable release?

FPFL

Experienced
Greetings!

Happy AX8 user here. Question...
I'm curious if a stable AX8 8.x release is coming soon.

We've gone from a 7 stable to a 7 beta to 8 beta with no stable release of 8 - even though its not very new (by Fractal's admittedly amazing pace)

There used to be a loose coupling between AF2 releases and AX8 releases. The AF2 is on its second stable release of 8. We're waiting on a first here. I'm surprised its taking a lot longer this time and am wondering what's up with that.

Be well!

Paul

Yes, we know they don't promise dates, my point was more about why the lag between releases lately?
The F2 and the X8 used to ship pretty tightly, now not so much.

P

Yes, we know they don't promise dates, my point was more about why the lag between releases lately?
The F2 and the X8 used to ship pretty tightly, now not so much.

P
there really isn't a direct correlation between the Axe and AX8 as far as releases. thought they share code and most of the changes, they are different units. so i wouldn't look at an Axe release as a sure-fire sign of an AX8 release.

They are different products. Yes, there may be some correlation from time to time but that is really a coincidence; it was in no way confirmed to be the official roll-out plan.

Given that the Axe Fx rack is what the development is done on, which then flows down to the other products, I would expect to see more FW releases on the Axe Fx. It makes sense to capture as many bugs on the Axe-Fx first and then do a single roll-out to the AX8 rather than re-inventing the wheel on both products.

We are fortunate that Fractal even release to us the beta versions to get a 'look-in' at what's being worked on yet we still get people moaning and carrying on.

Last edited:
If I load the Beta firmware, will I need to reload the stable release when it comes or is it effectively the same as the beta?

Joe's kids are getting out of school soon and he hasn't seen them since last summer because he's been working so hard to keep up with Cliff so I'm hoping to see the full release around Labor Day (Sep). In the mean time, 8.02 beta is rock solid on my AX8! :)

Gotta love people complaining about someone asking a friendly question, thanks for that dbun.
I'm a long time customer, since the AF1 Standard fwiw.

The AX8 is derived from the same code as the AF2, its ported and cut down to fit on lesser hardware platform.
That to me is the trick, seeing what fits on the AX8 versus the big brother. I don't know how they test for that, as a geek I'd find that interesting. Is it highly automated integration and smoke testing or manual or some combo? (sorry some developer jargon there)

This is not a technical issue at heart though. This is a question of priority. I've heard 8.x is pretty different and am looking forward to a stable release. I'm sure its coming eventually.

I'm not complaining nor am I concerned or worried. But I don't gig.

I just figured the Axe Fx is the flagship product so they would get the bleeding edge of releases including betas and the stable releases would be ported to the AX8.

Also, quarterly releases for stable versions seems pretty standard IMO.

Thank you awesome Fractal team!

I'd love to see a youtube tour of the place and hear how fractal does what it does.
Definitely not looking for trade secrets, just a long term fan curious how Fractal is so much more agile than everyone else in this space.
Its not just working hard, though we know that's a key part of it. There's got to be a smarter process in there too, at least I suspect.

Be well, and here's to remembering the fallen and departed on Memorial Day.

New If I load the Beta firmware, will I need to reload the stable release when it comes or is it effectively the same as the beta?
Personally, I always load the stable release as it nearly always has another feature addition, tweak or minor bug fix.

If I load the Beta firmware, will I need to reload the stable release when it comes or is it effectively the same as the beta?
The release notes of the final version will show if there were any added features or bugs that were fixed in the beta. If there are neither of those, the beta should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom