Next big thing for Fractal

After watching a YouTube vid of the FM3 with it being limited to 5 blocks in a preset, the bigger more powerful version has to be next, especially with the Kemper floor unit and QuadCortex thingy with touchscreen
5? You need to find better videos. I'm looking at many with nine, excluding the in and out blocks.

Right.

Integrate the Axe-FX II into a CLR or Meyer wedge, and sell it is a stage-ready complete digital rig.

Alternatively, integrate a wireless receiver for guitar and transmitter for IEM.
Why would they bother with the FX2? It doesn't run their current firmware, so they'd be forced to drag it around like a ball and chain.

That's 6 blocks right there... CPU Load from each block depends on the mode or model you set it to as well. The Reverb block can be a huge CPU hog in high quality mode on some verb types.
And, that's why we don't run on high-quality mode usually. For normal presets when in a band setting the economy mode is plenty good. I'd only use high quality if I was recording just a solo instrument in a studio, and even then I'd let my DAW handle the reverb after recording the track.

Skip over to the 22 minute mark
And at the ~13 minute mark he switches to ultra-high reverb and the CPU usage suddenly jumps. That's where he made his mistake. "Economy" and "Normal" are plenty good when recording something being mixed with other instruments or tracks.

The key thing to note is: he has the cab preamp quality and the reverb quality both turned all the way up. I think by time he got to that point in the video, he forgot he did that. If he had turned those down, he would have been able to add the effect block he wanted.
He backs it down to normal settings at about 23:50.

Gimme something that could run as many blocks as the Axe IIXL, dual amps etc. AX8 and FM3 aren’t powerful enough for me. Make it in a floor unit with maybe 12 switches. Make it cost less than $2k.
I’ve been looking hard at the head rush and quad cortex, they just sound more like a live 6. I want my fractal floor u it and I want it powerful for once!

Considering that tone is subjective, in my opinion the one last big advantage tube amps absolutely, unarguably have over modelers is ease of immediate tweakability.

I can look across the stage and see exactly how my amp is set, and twist a readily-available, exposed knob to change the sound in exactly the way I need, right now.

So basically I think a 1U rack piece with a row or two of motorized knobs and LED scratch pads that you could sync to whatever parameters in a patch you felt like for immediate access would be perfect.

Basically it would be a hardware version of the Performance Pages.

I would love to see a modular block system from Fractal that allows the user to choose the onboard blocks globally (eg 4 x pitch blocks and no reverbs) and also a "brain only" floor unit (controlled by Axe Edit only and without the FM3's screen, but with more I/O). This could make it more compact and integrate well with pedalboards that already have a midi controller.

Or perhaps something in a smaller stompbox size for fx only..a modelling pedal that allows the user to choose which fx go onboard.

Considering that tone is subjective, in my opinion the one last big advantage tube amps absolutely, unarguably have over modelers is ease of immediate tweakability.

I can look across the stage and see exactly how my amp is set, and twist a readily-available, exposed knob to change the sound in exactly the way I need, right now.

So basically I think a 1U rack piece with a row or two of motorized knobs and LED scratch pads that you could sync to whatever parameters in a patch you felt like for immediate access would be perfect.

Basically it would be a hardware version of the Performance Pages.
If the literal knobs and performance page don't do it for ya check out the EvenMidi:

https://www.evenmidi.com/midi-controllers/1-evenmidi-h9-midi-controller.html

If the literal knobs and performance page don't do it for ya check out the EvenMidi:

https://www.evenmidi.com/midi-controllers/1-evenmidi-h9-midi-controller.html

The literal knobs on the front and the Performance Pages don’t really do it, no. Kinda feels like you’re using the word “literal” to imply that it’s somehow my problem that I don’t think the Performance Page is the perfect solution for interfacing with the Axe.

The problem is the knobs don’t tell you what your settings are from just looking at the unit, and using them can still require having to push multiple face buttons two or three times before the right knob corresponds to the intended parameter. Yes, using those parameters is easier than hitting the layout button and going block spelunking, but it’s still got nothing on traditional always-right-there tube amp controls.

And while we’re talking about it, the front knobs on the Axe are very small and are the same color as the unit itself so they can be pretty tough to see to grab, especially in a dark environment.

Yes the Axe-Fx is easily the best guitar purchase I've ever made, with or without amp-style knobs. I’m just saying that a hardware rack unit row or two of physical knobs and LED labels actually would bring the Axe up to parity with tube amp usability, and an official product doing that would be a godsend.

Last edited:
I’m just saying that a hardware rack unit row or two of physical knobs and LED labels actually would bring the Axe up to parity with tube amp usability, and an official product doing that would be a godsend.
^^ THIS.

1U w/ 10-12 push knobs with ring lights and screens for labels/values. Highly configurable views like the FCs both globally and per preset.

IFAM
Internet Forum Agree Mechanism.
Where all posters first fact-check their responses which result in no conflict, factual posts, opinions are filtered to super small font.
A) results in far fewer posts, as many posters are busy learning how to fact check.
B) same as above only regarding reading manuals.
C) no moderators needed, only to add insight.
D) anyone researching information can view as legit as all information is fact.
E)

The literal knobs on the front and the Performance Pages don’t really do it, no. Kinda feels like you’re using the word “literal” to imply that it’s somehow my problem that I don’t think the Performance Page is the perfect solution for interfacing with the Axe.

The problem is the knobs don’t tell you what your settings are from just looking at the unit, and using them can still require having to push multiple face buttons two or three times before the right knob corresponds to the intended parameter. Yes, using those parameters is easier than hitting the layout button and going block spelunking, but it’s still got nothing on traditional always-right-there tube amp controls.

And while we’re talking about it, the front knobs on the Axe are very small and are the same color as the unit itself so they can be pretty tough to see to grab, especially in a dark environment.

Yes the Axe-Fx is easily the best guitar purchase I've ever made, with or without amp-style knobs. I’m just saying that a hardware rack unit row or two of physical knobs and LED labels actually would bring the Axe up to parity with tube amp usability, and an official product doing that would be a godsend.

A forum member makes custom knob sleeves, he can make glow in the dark ones. Check out the different sets here:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/coverpot-for-axe-fx-3-and-fm3.166447/

I'd love to see a couple of things:
  • Cabs that auto-populate with a neutral stock speaker/cab when the amp is selected
  • The ability to run up to 4 amps at the same time - two in stereo, or three in a W-D-W rig, or four with two stereo pairs.

The ability to run istances of a block till the cpu run out... if an amp need 20%, then 5 amp block. If a filter require 1%, 100 filter block. Or any combination: ie 3 amp (60%) and up to 40 filter (40%). Or many reverb, without amp... only as fx.

Umm... Kemper?
After reading this thread, I checked out some Quad Cortex vids. Seems like they made some nice advancements in the game (really nice UI/touchscreen, footswitches that can act as knobs.....could be useful).
This seems to be a nice merge of Kemper (profiling/capture) and Fractal effects quality (ok, maybe not Fractal quality, but much better than Kemper).
This unit seems to sit right in between Kemper and Axe FX.

That being said - we need a Fractal FM8!!

it’s still got nothing on traditional always-right-there tube amp controls.
I beg to differ. Once you load the performance page, you've got five controls that will stay there without further button pushing until you dismiss them, and another five functions one tap away. That's more than a lot of amps even have. You can instantly see the readout with values for those parameters, and you have a choice in determining what they are. In fact I see this is superior to many amps. The Perform Page does require more precision to operate that your usual chicken heads, and you may need your eyeglasses, but I still feel that it is a trade up. And, at just one more tap (page right) you've got ANOTHER ten controls. I use these for effects which saves my back from stooping to the floor like I used to do.

Back
Top Bottom