Next big thing for Fractal

As long as we're spitballing ideas among friends...I'd really like to see a couple of Fractal offerings similar to other items already in the market.

How about a pedal providing ONLY amp and cab - as inspired by the Strymon Iridium?
How about an effect(s)-only pedal from Fractal? Could be as advanced as the Eventide H9 Max...or as simple as just "Fractal FM-Reverb".

Would certainly take "modular" to the next level!
I can think of many ways products like these could fit nicely into the current Fractal ecosystem.

Fun to think about.
We almost already have it... if there were some option in the firmware we could use the FM3 as amp only (2 amp, one each DSP), fx only (doubling the fx numer), or as now.

For potential future products / AXE4 generation, I would think expanding into guitar pickups / guitar electronics would be a logical next step. Still offering standard 1/4in connection for any guitar, but offering Fractal pickup kits / guitar electronics kits to retrofit existing guitars or offer in partnership with certain guitar builders for new guitars. (similar to the Roland V Guitar paradigm)

1. AXE4 could have both 1/4 regular guitar / instrument inputs, plus a hex type input.
2. Fractal Hexaphonic pickup / Piezo option.
3. Fractal Mag pickup options.
4. Fractal Sustainer driver option.
5. Fractal Guitar electronics package with onboard pots/switches that can directly control AXE4 parameters (via cable or wireless)
6. Fractal Wireless Guitar transmitter/receiver option. (preferably with bidirectional tx/rx, and iem monitor rx on the transmitter)

I imagine the things that Cliff would come up with in terms of pickup modeling, as well as having split hex pickups per string would be revolutionary for guitarists... allowing even more classic tone versatility, plus new unique tones.

a. Improved impedance relationship between guitar pickups and first effect in chain (improved fuzz pedal modeling)
b. Amazing polyphonic guitar synth capabilities, taking the Axe3 synth block to new heights with hex input
c. Expanded modifier capabilities based on hex / per-string input of pitch tracking and envelopes
d. New effects block options to take advantage of per string hex input processing
e. Modeling a variety of different humbucker and single coil pickups from the past 50yrs, plus variable active pickups
f. Further expanding multiple pickup paradigm (combining piezo + magnetic combos of pickups with blended or separate processing)

Also, being a keyboardist/synth player, I have long thought Fractal expanding into creating a 3U rack mount synth unit would be awesome. MIDI input from an external MIDI keyboard, and detailed models of all the classic and modern synths from the past 50 years (Moogs, Oberheims, Sequentials, Korgs, Rolands, Yamahas, etc...)

The general paradigm of electrical component modeling of guitar amp circuits could be applied to modeling the electronics of various classic synths (VCOs, VCFs, VCAs, ENVs, LFOs). I posted about this a couple years back: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fractal-synthfx.147899/

The key thing to note is: he has the cab preamp quality and the reverb quality both turned all the way up. I think by time he got to that point in the video, he forgot he did that. If he had turned those down, he would have been able to add the effect block he wanted.
[/

Nevermind. I deleted

Brains of the III scaled back or brains of the FM3 beefed up - in pedalboard format, screen, minimum knobs & buttons included. There could be two versions/enclosures: one with 10 switches for complete stock solution, and one with zero switches so users can run with their preferred switching/control solution. In summary, a modular floorboard unit that fills gap between FM3 capability and rack III capability.

• Way more power...like 4 amps and 8 cabs, every block filled with an ultra high verb, still only at 50% CPU.
  • Officially licensed gear in the box, that you swap in and out via a hardware module.
  • A few actual tubes that makes the back look like an old Woolworth tube tester.
  • All connection types: Optical MADI, Dante, AVB, RCA’s for my record player output, Bluetooth, built in wireless RF.
  • MIDI 3.0 invented by Cliff, for MPE Audio conversion to MIDI.
  • Officially licensed Moog synth in the box.
  • Smart morph between presets.
  • An actual spring reverb in the box, so that you can kick it and it go, “Claaaaaaannnnnnnnggggggg”.
  • All scales and chord arpeggios built in to a 256 bar sequencer.
  • Bass player simulator (without the heavy drinking).
  • 64 types of metronome sounds.
  • 53-TET tuner.
  • Attachable pickups on the neck, to pick up those little nuances.
  • Built-in audience effects, cheers and screams that range in size from club to arena (talent knob).
  • FC-36 with ultra wide screen for audience video presentation.
  • Bitcoin Miner Software Add-on, to pay for AFX5, split proceeds between FAS and owner.

One of these is true. Can’t wait for it to come out! (I actually know nothing, don’t think that any of this is true)

2 things I bet FAS could do very well and would have wide appeal:

-Pickup modeling with hexaphonic output capability

-A high quality wireless transmitter and receiver that outputs digitally to the Axe 3 or any other modeler

Also, for next generation / Axe4 / FC:

A/D and D/A converters on the pedalboard(s) / FC units, and next gen FASlink connection- so we could have the option to directly plug in your guitar to the FC floor unit, as well as run one of the send/return loops from 1/4 jacks on the pedalboard... If you have additional outboard fx pedals you want to integrate, you could do it on pedalboard with FC unit.

(and improve the readability of FC strips... higher contrast between backlight and text + larger text)

I believe that the simplest things are also those that we guitarists like best, musicians are basically simple beings :p: obviously Fractal is ahead of the competition but some aspects can be improved.

I know it sounds silly but the UI can be improved while still looking professional to start with.
Then I think guitarists like being able to capture the sound of amps they have at home that weren't modeled on the Ax fx3. This would extend the sounds indefinitely.

I know that -in the end- many sound alike and derive from Marshall but that's what people ask for and we remain simple beings. The Quad Cortex "sound capture" idea opened the front on this thing, which can be extended or improved.

Also my Steavens Poundcake 100 head sounds like nothing else and yes, I am a simple being :smiley:

Also, for next generation / Axe4 / FC:

A/D and D/A converters on the pedalboard(s) / FC units, and next gen FASlink connection- so we could have the option to directly plug in your guitar to the FC floor unit, as well as run one of the send/return loops from 1/4 jacks on the pedalboard... If you have additional outboard fx pedals you want to integrate, you could do it on pedalboard with FC unit.

(and improve the readability of FC strips... higher contrast between backlight and text + larger text)

oooooh good idea! This would be very nice to have.

This is almost certainly outside of the scope that Fractal would ever allow for such a product, but it would be cool to one day have the Axe-FX III double as an outboard processor for mixing and mastering. Would love to see what throwing this much DSP at an analog compressor model or EQ could do. FASSPICE all the things!

I also agree with @creativespiral above that being able to use the Axe as a keyboard/synth module would be amazing. This would make the Axe-FX III the ultimate swiss army knife for audio. This and the above idea will almost certainly never happen but I'd love to be wrong.

I would buy a tube amp made by Fractal audio. Be a fool not to.
I think having an all in one AxeFX III with a FRFR built in would be awesome. It would change a lot of things especially when you share presets they would be more consistent because if people had the same FRFR it would sound more similar. Plus, I'm sure Fractal would make a kick ass speaker.

Back
Top Bottom