News of the MidyAX2 - Pilot the AXE-FX with MIDI controllers (X-Touch, BCR2000, Guitar Wing, ...)

Right, it shows that I've not been too involved with the MidyAX 2 recently :oops:. I'll have to check in the code. Can remember there was an issue though. I'll give it a try this WE.

Thanks for the feedback anyway.

Yeah it's not a big deal as the options with a control panel work even with a different controller. I ordered the BeatStep and it should be here in a day or two, will give it another try and see if it works through USB.

Yeah it's not a big deal as the options with a control panel work even with a different controller. I ordered the BeatStep and it should be here in a day or two, will give it another try and see if it works through USB.
90% of the tests I did were with USB midi controllers (BeatStep, BCR2000, BCF2000, Guitar Wing, ...) on Mac and Pipo x8 (Windows) and they all worked fine. Just a few issues with a BCR2000 but it was the USB interface on it that had an issue (AFAIR). Hopefully it will work for you.

Got the BeatStep and noticed that it only works via USB if I have the "MIDI auto-connect" setting on in Preferences. Otherwise I can only use it through the MIDI I/O in my FireWire audio interface, it just refuses to set the Beatstep USB device as a MIDI I/O device in Midi Connections dialog.

Otherwise the Beatstep works quite nicely, except with controls that are just single values like amp and cab type it tends to jump over values and not clamp them to integers and does weird things when I have the controls set to relative instead of absolute settings.

But more importantly I can't figure how to get the dialogs to respond to changing channels on the Beastep or mapping the drum pads to Axe-Fx CCs. Is this even possible with MidyAx? For example I hold the chan button and then hit pad 2 it should use the set of controls marked as 2 in the MidyAx dialog.

Got the BeatStep and noticed that it only works via USB if I have the "MIDI auto-connect" setting on in Preferences. Otherwise I can only use it through the MIDI I/O in my FireWire audio interface, it just refuses to set the Beatstep USB device as a MIDI I/O device in Midi Connections dialog.
There was a bug in non "MIDI auto-connect" that I thought I had fixed. Looks like it is still in the version you have. This will have to be investigated.

Otherwise the Beatstep works quite nicely, except with controls that are just single values like amp and cab type it tends to jump over values and not clamp them to integers and does weird things when I have the controls set to relative instead of absolute settings.
Yes the operation with "single values" param as not been optimized.

But more importantly I can't figure how to get the dialogs to respond to changing channels on the Beastep or mapping the drum pads to Axe-Fx CCs. Is this even possible with MidyAx? For example I hold the chan button and then hit pad 2 it should use the set of controls marked as 2 in the MidyAx dialog.
AFAIR channel changing from the BeatStep is not possible. "Auto" Mapping was working at one point.

This WE, I will do a few tests to check all that.

Great that you've been able to get the your BeatStep to work with the MidyAX 2. :) Hopes that makes it easier to dial tones.

There was a bug in non "MIDI auto-connect" that I thought I had fixed. Looks like it is still in the version you have. This will have to be investigated.

Yes the operation with "single values" param as not been optimized.

AFAIR channel changing from the BeatStep is not possible. "Auto" Mapping was working at one point.

This WE, I will do a few tests to check all that.

Great that you've been able to get the your BeatStep to work with the MidyAX 2. :) Hopes that makes it easier to dial tones.

Thanks for your reply. Good to know it's not just me configuring the unit incorrectly. I'm using 0.8.2 on Windows 10. It definitely makes it much faster to fine tune sounds. I've really missed having some physical knobs to mess with so thanks again for making it possible. :)

I have published the code of the MidyAX 2 here : https://github.com/PALYGAP/MidyAX-2

Put this header in code files:
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
// PROGRAM: MidyAX 2 - MIDI communications orchestrator - MIDI controllers to AXE-FX //
// AIM: Provide enhanced usability of the AXE-FX by making it possible to set the //
// AXE-FX parameters with a hardware interface (knobs/switches of a MIDI controller //
// like : BCR2000 /BCF2000, XTouch Mini, BeatStep, Guitar Wing ... ) //
// CREATOR: Eric FEUILLEAUBOIS //
// PROG ENV: Qt v5.6 or above, RTMIDI library (https://github.com/thestk/rtmidi) //
// HARDWARE: Tested on RPi / PC / MAC / Linux Box / Pipo X8 //
// LICENSE: GNU GPL v3 - That means OPEN SOFWARE, COPYLEFT and hope it's useful to you //
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

I will soon put more infos in the Readme.md on GitHub.

The initial program structure was inspired by VIRTUAL MIDI PIANO KEYBOARD : http://vmpk.sourceforge.net/index.fr.shtml

I'll soon create a new thread for the "official" announcement and so that interested people can exchange on usage or programming of the MidyAX-2.

Enjoy ... et vive le Père Noël !!!

Back
Top Bottom